Adult-on-Adult Violence Plagues Chuck E. Cheese's

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
Adult-on-Adult Violence Plagues Chuck E. Cheese's

The first rule of Chuck E. Cheese's is you do not talk about Chuck E. Cheese's. And if this is your first "Pizza Time Players" concert, you have to fight.

To most decent, civilized human beings, respect the token line [http://www.chuckecheese.com/].

In Brookfield, Wisconsin, no restaurant in the city has received more calls to the police department in the last year than good ol' Chuck E. Cheese's. Of the 12 altercations that officers have had to respond to, the biggest brawl occurred in April 2008 when no less than 40 people were involved in a massive free-for-all. What's worse is that according to Brookfield Police Captain, Timothy Imler, "There's a biker bar down the street, and we rarely get calls there."

Chuck E. Cheese's, which was founded in 1977 by industry legend Nolan Bushnell [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nolan_Bushnell], has gone from a single location in San Jose, California, to 538 locations across the US. Richard Huston, executive vice president of marketing for the chain's parent company, CEC Entertainment, claims that these types of altercations are "atypical," saying that he's only heard of four to five significant incidents between parents this year, though law-enforcement officials in certain parts of the country say otherwise. Huston realizes the danger possessed by these incidents, saying "Even one is just way too many."

What's to blame for the outbreak in "Cool Chuck" related violence? Security experts point to the "mama-bear instinct," as the loud noises, thick crowds and emotions of children's birthday parties (hosted by the establishments) heighten parents reactions to what they see as threats to their children. Alcohol may also be to blame as 70% of Chuck E. Cheese's serve wine and beer in order to give parents more of a reason to bring their kids for a good time.

In the case of Brookfield, Wisconsin, Chuck E. Cheese's has surrendered their liquor license and has placed armed security guards within the establishment. Milwaukee Alderman Tony Zielinski, who originally called for the relinquishing of the restaurants liquor license isn't particularly happy about that either, saying "It was like something out of a Quentin Tarantino film. What parent is going to take their kids to a place where there is alcohol and pistols being brandished?"

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
I'm tempted to start a fight with the staff of Chuck'E'Cheese... They won't let non-children parties celebrate there. By law, they are a restaurant and legally have to serve me, but they won't let adults in the door without a kid.
Since when is a private establishment required to do anything for anyone other than their paying customers? If they want to refuse you service because you don't have a child with you, that's their right to do so.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Khell_Sennet said:
I'm tempted to start a fight with the staff of Chuck'E'Cheese... They won't let non-children parties celebrate there. By law, they are a restaurant and legally have to serve me, but they won't let adults in the door without a kid.
If you make reservations and bring a large enough crowd, they'll waive the kid requirement and let you have an adult party.

It's funny, for some reason crazy crap is always happening at these places. There was a massacre in one a couple years back and the cops said it was like some awful macabre scene from a movie. The Bear Band was jamming away and there were corpses all over the place.

Must be the long line to the ball pit.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Chuck E. Cheese...sounds like the name of a clown whose gimmick is throwing up partially digested milk.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Actually, not true. Age discrimination is illegal, had I done something, then they could refuse to serve me personally, but to disallow anyone over 18 who is not accompanying a child is illegal.
Hrm... Well, I don't really have the determination to go digging through laws and policies, so I guess I'll take your word for it on the whole refusal or service thing. Hooray!

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
It's funny, for some reason crazy crap is always happening at these places. There was a massacre in one a couple years back and the cops said it was like some awful macabre scene from a movie. The Bear Band was jamming away and there were corpses all over the place.
Woah, link? I want to read more about this.

Jimmyjames

Jan 4, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Being that teenagers can be blathering idiots, I don't blame them (not that you're a teen for all I know, but I'm sure that's why they made the rule). And I'm not sure I'd be too cool with seeing some random 40-year-old in a Chuck E. Cheese.

BTW- for all those single with little brothers/sisters/nieces/nephews.... take them to Chuck E. Cheeses during weekday afternoons..... single MILF cougars like you wouldn't believe. In fact the C.E.C. on Arden in Sacramento, CA in particular... there were always stripper moms in there.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Ice Storm said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
I know I made a joke but...it's really an awful and sad story.

http://www.5280.com/issues/2008/0812/feature.php?pageID=1486

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
Ice Storm said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
I know I made a joke but...it's really an awful and sad story.

http://www.5280.com/issues/2008/0812/feature.php?pageID=1486
Wow, that's messed up and a sad story to hear. Thanks for the link, Jeffries.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
meatloaf231 said:
Khell_Sennet said:
Since when is a private establishment required to do anything for anyone other than their paying customers? If they want to refuse you service because you don't have a child with you, that's their right to do so.
Actually, not true. Age discrimination is illegal, had I done something, then they could refuse to serve me personally, but to disallow anyone over 18 who is not accompanying a child is illegal.
I'm pulling a bit of a tl;dr on this thread, but whatever happend to "Right to refuse service to anyone"?

EDIT: Did some digging.

"The Civil Rights Act of 1964 explicitly prohibits restaurants from refusing service to patrons on the basis of race, color, religion, or natural origin."

I don't see age there.

Zomni42

Jul 22, 2008
This is severely fucked up. I mean, how could that place not mess with your mind.. but Holy crap... this is just awful.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
actually that's wrong because you can be refused entry into a bar based on your age or lack of proof of your age, this is just the reverse of it. same goes for the "women only" fitness clubs

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Between this and the Wal-Mart employee getting trampled to death, I think we've made pretty good fools of ourselves.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Nimbus said:
EDIT: Did some digging.

"The Civil Rights Act of 1964 explicitly prohibits restaurants from refusing service to patrons on the basis of race, color, religion, or natural origin."

I don't see age there.
Age is in Canada's law. It doesn't apply to minors, you can still discriminate/restrict under-18's, but past that, it's discrimination in Canada. As such, legally the seniors menu is open to all ages of adult to order from, not just 55's+.

Edit: @ Cleverly, with regards to alcohol and tobacco, it is an exception to the law that if you can't prove your age, they not only can, but must refuse sale.
I thought this was about America?