Former Wizards of the Coast CEO Launches RPG Company

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Former Wizards of the Coast CEO Launches RPG Company

Peter Adkison wants to create multimedia tabletop experiences.

Stories of major videogame developers jumping ship to work on indie productions are a dime a dozen lately, but it seems that the same thing is happening in the world of tabletop games, too. Although making games for girls [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Adkison], as of today, Adkison has launched Hostile Work Environment. This nontraditional RPG company focuses not on bringing out books and modules, but on creating online films to bring roleplaying adventures to life.

"I couldn't be more excited about Hostile Work Environment!" says Adkison. "Roleplaying games are my passion and through my new company, I'm creating ways for people to experience RPG's (sic) that will resonate with long-time players and new audiences alike." The company's first production, The First Paladin, tells a story based on a Dungeons & Dragons campaign set in the world of Chaldea, one of Adkison's own creations. As Hostile Work Environment grows, Adkison hopes to take direction from fans and expand from film into other mediums as well. "[This] is just the first step in what I expect will be many opportunities to explore ways to both interact with gamers dynamically in shaping stories, and to create entertainment across a variety of platforms." Hostile Work Environment will also employ the services of film critic and producer Kim Voynar [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4699630/], who is no stranger to the world of speculative fiction films.

Tabletop RPGs are something of a niche market even in the best of times, and translating them to film THAC0 [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0190374/] is.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Some of us will never let the classics die. Calculating "To Hit an Armor Class of 0" is essential gaming skill.

Nov 28, 2007
I am remembering the last time they made a tabletop RPG movie. "Dungeons and Dragons" did not make for a good movie.

Although I give Jeremy Irons props for making the movie bearable.

WolfCross

Jun 12, 2012
This sounds very promising. After seeing the horror contained within the trailer for the new Neverwinter game, i'm hoping Peter can set things right. No Pressure.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
infinity_turtles said:
That is one of the worst names for a company I've ever heard.
Aye, the aim behind the company sounds pretty cool but "Hostile Work Environment"? He'd been as well calling it "Low Salary Expectations" or "Unpaid Overtime" :p

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
This is a fucking brilliant idea! I'll be watching this very closely to see how it goes. Oh and they should totally take fan-made campaigns, such as my Warhammer Fantasy campaign where our Elven Wizard's primary form of attack was drop-kicking people to death.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I wish they included which RPG's were his favorite and why. Would give a better idea of what he may be shooting for.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010

Step it up Peter Adkison. If you're going to make movies based on D&D stories, at least pick from the wealth of classics!

But yeah, this sounds pretty cool. Looking forward to seeing where he goes with this.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
incoming terrible card game RPGs, everyone de-hype immediately