Financial Wizards Call World of Warcraft Activision's "Achilles' Heel"

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Financial Wizards Call World of Warcraft Activision's "Achilles' Heel"

Activision's dependance on World of Warcraft may mean that any subscriber loss will affect the bottom line.

We've seen the writing on the wall for some time now. After years of dominating the entire MMO marketplace, World of Warcraft is <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114124-World-of-Warcraft-Slips-Further>slowly but surely declining. That's not to say the game is in trouble just yet; even if WoW didn't have at least one major expansion to go, it continues to rake in <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118870-Earnings-Report-Hell-on-the-Rise-Azeroth-in-Decline>millions of dollars in revenue. According to hedge fund experts Leonid Levit and Derek Cheung, however, those millions actually represent a much bigger problem. After taking a closer look at Activision Blizzard's finances, they concluded that the publisher is so dependent on World of Warcraft's massive revenue that the game has actually become the publisher's greatest weakness.

"After looking into Activision Blizzard, Inc. ... we discovered an amazing looking company that is unfortunately almost completely sustained by the revenue it reaps from one game, World of Warcraft," Levit and Cheung wrote in a Forbes guest post. "[WoW] has helped ATVI maintain its stock price, with this one single game providing roughly 30% of the revenue for the entire company via its expansion packs and monthly payments ... Since WoW has very high operating leverage any decline in revenue will have dramatic effects on the bottom line."

To prove their point, Levit and Cheung did some number crunching to see what would happen if World of Warcraft had a 25% drop of subscriptions, which is a lower percentage than <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117133-The-Old-Republic-Population-Shrinking>Star Wars: The Old Republic recently suffered. "We estimate that ATVI's gross profit of the subscription business could drop to $779 million from the current $1.12 billion and software gross profit could drop to $75 million from $100 million if a mere 25% of current subscribers stop playing WoW," the report reads. "With the combination of these numbers, we project ATVI could experience a drop of up to $366 million in gross profit in the 6 months following the release of Guild Wars 2 at the end of August 2012." At that point, even popular franchises like Diablo or Call of Duty won't be enough to keep stock prices from dropping by $7 this fiscal year alone.

Levit and Cheung seem to think that Guild Wars 2 is a "fierce competitor" to WoW, since its popularity and lack of subscription fees puts it in an ideal position to be the fabled WoW killer gamers have been hearing about for years now. Whether that will actually happen or not remains to be seen, but the stark fact is that Activision isn't just facing lack of interest in a flagship title; it might actually be facing losses for the entire company.

Source: Forbes

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
i have a hard time not laughing at this, WoW, the multi million dollar a year game, is its company greatest weakness, oh, the irony.

kinda what they get for putting all they're eggs in one basket though, thus i choose to sit back, nom popcorn and laugh when WoW final goes down and takes 2 worthless company's with it

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I don't think Guild Wars 2 is a WoW killer per say, but it certainly will hurt WoW's subscriptions.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Fappy said:
I don't think Guild Wars 2 is a WoW killer per say, but it certainly will hurt WoW's subscriptions.
A person can play GW2 and still enjoy WoW at the same time, I know I will. Its just a nice alternative since you only have to Pay for GW2 once and be able to enjoy all the main content. Yes they have a micro transaction store, but it's mostly optional.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
dragongit said:
Fappy said:
A person can play GW2 and still enjoy WoW at the same time, I know I will. Its just a nice alternative since you only have to Pay for GW2 once and be able to enjoy all the main content. Yes they have a micro transaction store, but it's mostly optional.
That's certainly true, but most people don't really play more than one MMO at a time. There will be plenty of people cancelling their WoW sub when GW2 comes out just like they have for every other major MMO release since Warhammer. A lot of these people eventually return to WoW.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
I don't think they know the meaning of the words achilles' heel.
WOW is Blizzard's strength, so the exact opposite thing.

Yes, if Blizzard hypothetically get beaten fair and square at their own game, they will lose, but it's very unlikely and every contender sofar has failed terribly.

Bricky

Dec 24, 2008
veloper said:

Yes, if Blizzard hypothetically get beaten fair and square at their own game, they will lose, but it's very unlikely and every contender sofar has failed terribly.
I don't think they are saying WoW is bad for Activision Blizzard, I think they are saying that the companies finances rely on WoW's continued success to much.

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
Lets ignore the fact that an expansion is <2 months off so doing anything in WoW right now is wasted effort, only reason I'm still logging on is for guild raids once a week because people still don't have BiS gear/Heroic Madness mounts. ¯\(°_o)/¯

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
That last paragraph seems a bit messed up to me. Just pointing that out.

I think many people are quitting WOW just because they are bored of it after playing it for so long rather than other games drawing their attention away.

That said I'm sure Guild Wars 2 will strip a quite a few subs from WOW. Especially those looking for jump in and play pvp.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Wow.

Were these financial wizards all related to John Madden or something?

"Now, if you lose 25% of your income, then your bottom line is just going to be lower than it was. That's just how the game is played!"

I get the overall message that subscription numbers are not specifically as predictable as cowards with millions of dollars to invest would like, and maybe you shouldn't build your entire house on sand, but it's not really any more or less predictable than anything else if you take any time to actually research what you're investing in.

It's kind of like these guys went to the wow forums once and decided that it was somehow representative of the entire playerbase.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Bricky said:
veloper said:

I don't think they are saying WoW is bad for Activision Blizzard, I think they are saying that the companies finances rely on WoW's continued success to much.
Should they start refusing subscribers instead? Ofcourse they milk WOW for all it's worth!

Maybe WOW is getting a bit long in tooth, but it is still far too soon for all the doom and gloom. WOW still has to sink to great depths first, before a new MMO should be launched.

Unless Blizzard are pissing away their mega profits instead of reinvesting, there's no reason to assume WOW will be their last success. I wouldn't sell shares based on this crap.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
World of Warcraft. "Dying" Since 2007!

With an Expansion about to drop which will probably boost subs a couple million WoW is not in any danger of dying anytime soon. Heck even at 9 million it has more subs then many of the other triple A mmos COMBINED. I swear these doom and gloom articles about WoW dying or somehow going to drag Acti-Blizz under are funny.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Moonlight Butterfly said:
I think many people are quitting WOW just because they are bored of it after playing it for so long rather than other games drawing their attention away.
That's why I quit. Cataclysms end game just bored the hell out of me and killed what little interest I had left in the game. I was hoping Cataclysm would bring back my interest in the game as I was already getting bored towards the end of Wrath of the Lich King. It was off to a good start, I loved the questing areas in Cataclysm, but the end game, which is what I played World of Warcraft for, was even worse than Wrath of the Lich Kings end game.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
Fappy said:
dragongit said:
Fappy said:
That's certainly true, but most people don't really play more than one MMO at a time. There will be plenty of people cancelling their WoW sub when GW2 comes out just like they have for every other major MMO release since Warhammer. A lot of these people eventually return to WoW.
All the same Guild Wars 2's lack of subscription means that it'll actually be possible for players of modest means to enjoy both WoW and GW2. I'm not planning on getting GW2, but the option is on the table because I'd only have to pay once.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
MDSnowman said:
Fappy said:
dragongit said:
Fappy said:
All the same Guild Wars 2's lack of subscription means that it'll actually be possible for players of modest means to enjoy both WoW and GW2. I'm not planning on getting GW2, but the option is on the table because I'd only have to pay once.
Yeah, that's actually one of the primary reasons I am picking it up.