Update: Microsoft Finally Admits to Xbox 720

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
Update: Microsoft Finally Admits to Xbox 720

An employee mentions the next Xbox as part of the "new wave" of Microsoft products.

It's been over six years since the current console generation started, and the start of the next round is looming. Although Nintendo has been the only company to unveil its next gaming platform, it's only a matter of time before Sony and Microsoft officially throw their hats into the ring. Now, shortly after a forum user leaked details [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118776-Durango-Developers-Verify-Xbox-720-Prototype-Details] about the development kit of Microsoft's "Durango," we have the first unofficial-official confirmation of the console from the company itself. Speaking to The Verge, Windows Live General Manager Brian Hall mentioned "the new Xbox" in a list of upcoming Microsoft products.

While this may not be the most shocking revelation, it is the first time a Microsoft employee has mentioned the Durango, or Xbox 720, on record. Hall did not confirm any details about the Xbox 720, though he did imply that the console may be hitting shelves by the end of the year. Specifically, he grouped the Xbox in with other products set to launch before 2013; speaking about the updated Outlook.com, Hall said that Microsoft is releasing it to coincide with "the new wave of products," including Windows 8, Office 15, the next generation of Windows Phones, and the aforementioned Xbox.

Until Microsoft officially-officially confirms its next home console, gamers and the internet at large will have to content themselves with various rumors and leaked documentation. The biggest source of information, which is also the oldest and most questionable, is a set of A patent [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117952-Rumor-Leaked-Design-Doc-Outs-Next-Gen-Xbox] filed by Jeffrey Andrews, a Microsoft chief hardware architect, indicates that the console may be scalable or even somehow customizable by the user. Most recently, the "Durango" development kit posted last week suggests that the system will be 64-bit, with between 4 and 6GB of RAM, and more than four cores in its CPU.

Considering the sheer amount of leaked information, plus this semi-official confirmation by a Microsoft employee, the company itself may have a hard time making the official announcement particularly exciting to the jaded gaming public. I suggest lasers.

Source: IGN [http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/3/3217378/the-vergecast-041-08-02-2012]

Update: Microsoft has clarified its earlier statements, explaining that the "new Xbox" mentioned was in reference to the Xbox Live update scheduled for later this year, not confirmation of a next generation console. Here is Microsoft's official response in full:

"The comments to The Verge were not understood in their intended context. When Brian mentioned a 'new wave of products,' he was referring to the full lineup of products coming later this year from Microsoft, including Windows 8, Office, Windows Phone and of course our fall Xbox update which will bring a host of new consumer experiences like Xbox Music, Videos, Games on Windows 8 and Xbox SmartGlass."

We apologize for contributing to any confusion regarding this matter through previous coverage.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Yes but will they be bringing fresh and original IP's with new and exciting gameplay to the field?

Or just more of the same with slightly better textures for mud and guns?

Also, I agree, lasers are the answer to everything.

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
So they accidentally confirmed what we already knew, well I suppose that's better than nothing.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Hmm I don't know if i'd buy the Xbox 720 seeing as I rarely use my xbox for anything other than Netflix nowadays and chatting with some friends. Pretty much all of my gaming has gone over to PC by this point.

Oh and that name is stupid as hell too... xbox 720? COME ON

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
Well since my xbox360 broke, i will buy this just to play old games...but hopefully there will be some killer new IPs

Jorec

Jul 7, 2010
Hooray? I mean it sounds cool and all but a release by the end of 2012? I just hope the new systems have all the kinks worked out and aren't being released simply to meet the holiday season.

... Oh who am I kidding, of course they would release it for the holiday season. Even if it did have crippling issues.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
FINALLY.
I like the xbox 360 but I hope the ouya does well just because it's something new :)

Is the ouya going/meant to be more powerful than this new xbox?

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009

Seriously though, not surprised and for some reason I am just not excited for the next generation of consoles as I was last year. It might be because of my move to PC, but I thought I would care at least a little.

On the other hand finding anyone who is genuinely surprised in this thread is going to be a tough task.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Rule Britannia said:
FINALLY.
I like the xbox 360 but I hope the ouya does well just because it's something new :)

Is the ouya going/meant to be more powerful than this new xbox?
Uh I read the Ouya will have specs of a Wii or something, maybe slightly stronger. It's not supposed to be a next gen console just a way to access Indie games and get them released.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Rellik San said:
OR.... OR.... it's a new slimmer xbox that has Blu-Ray.
Not to harp on Microsoft too much, but uhh...they DO seem to just try to copy what someone else brought together through true innovation. I don't doubt you that what you say could happen. The X-Box was a response to Sony's money-making console by attempting to replicate their work after the hard part of developing it had been done already. It's very different to invent from the start than to see a good thing and follow suit.

The X-Box is a nice system and fans of it should even be proud. However, it wouldn't have happened without noticing the Playstation making money hand over fist.

Additional: I honestly hope it doesn't scrag itself like all the RRODs I've heard.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I can tell them how to generate excitement. Announce it by showing of the fully stress tested, thermally certified and third party manufactured ASIC chipset.

We can save money by designing our own chipset? Like Hell you can guys!

Anyway, so much for the ten year console cycle, although if November this year is correct it will still be seven and a bit for the 360. Not bad even if the first three and a half could be summed up with the word aaaarrrgh written on the walls in blood.

Nov 28, 2007
It seems odd that a brand new system that is supposedly releasing in the next 4 months hasn't even been confirmed by Microsoft, doesn't it? Especially with the WiiU having been confirmed for over a year.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
It's going to need to be more than just a more powerful 360. Flashier graphics aren't going to impress any more. Some of the best and most fun games had comparatively minimal graphics. You know what I'd like? No loading times, like the old cartridge games. Make it have a solid state hard drive, or plug and play games and we'll talk.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
Jorec said:
Hooray? I mean it sounds cool and all but a release by the end of 2012? I just hope the new systems have all the kinks worked out and aren't being released simply to meet the holiday season.

... Oh who am I kidding, of course they would release it for the holiday season. Even if it did have crippling issues.
Yeah that tidbit about it being released before 2013, that has me worried. I had no intention of buying Microsoft's new console (company seriously annoys the fuck out of me, and their products are really not worth my money, effort, or most importantly: time) but I'd have at least liked for the people who did buy it to have a good product. Pushing it out the door by the top of the fourth quarter seems a shade early, despite rumors that this thing has been on the back burner for a couple years (I've heard people throw around 2004 as a start date for the project, doubt that smells like bullshit).
I'd be willing to suggest it's the Wii-U that has prompted such an action -if anything has-, but I'd be more willing to suggest that there's a chance they're releasing another model of the 360, not the next generation 720.
Who knows, let's just keep an eye on this I guess.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I honestly don't know if I'd be getting this or not. I mean I'm not surprised at this at all as they were eventually going to release info on the new console since the Wii U details have been announced. However I want to see what IPs they get for it before I go and buy it, I mean I honestly don't even play my 360 anymore as I have gone to PC gaming as well as playing my PS3 like crazy. It really comes down to the IPs I guess. Also with it being released in just 4 months and it just being announced now I feel that there may be another crippling hardware problem like how the RROD was.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
So they have a brand new console they are launching within the next 4 months and they didn't bother mentioning it at E3? Yep, seems legit.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Funny thing is this generation of console's have been so busy of running franchises and sequels to the ground that I can't even think of one exclusive game from microsoft that excites me enough to buy a new console.

Also I'm hesitant to get near a new microsoft console since its turning into a media hub more than a gaming console.