Amazon Launches Its Own Game Studio

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Amazon Launches Its Own Game Studio

Not content to merely sell games, Amazon is carving out a slice of the game industry for itself.

Amazon has had a watchful eye on the games market for some time now. After digital delivery service for free-to-play games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118410-Kindle-Fire-Games-Get-an-Upgrade] earlier this summer, the retailer has decided to cut out the middle man. With the announcement of its own private development studio, Amazon is stepping up its game (pun completely intended) once more.

Amazon Game Studios, as described on its official website, is "focused on creating innovative, fun and well-crafted games." In practice, this means free-to-play social games on Facebook and possibly other venues. The studio's first title, Living Classics, is already out and ready to play [http://apps.facebook.com/livingclassics] on Facebook.

The fresh new developer looks to be playing it safe for now - Living Classics is a hidden object game (though the team prefers the term "moving object game"). Players are tasked with helping a family of foxes who have become lost in a variety of animated storybook locales. Unsurprisingly, gameplay involves spotting hard-to-find objects scattered throughout the worlds of Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, and King Arthur. Social elements and power-ups help to give the game lasting appeal, though the biggest draw seems to be the vibrant artwork.

As of yet, the studio has not announced plans for future titles, but don't count them out - they're hiring.

Source: Amazon [http://games.amazon.com/]

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Will be interesting to see where they go with this and how popular they get. Though, I suspect they will stick to the casual market. :p

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
wait... Amazon is making games now, and I have an animation degree, and I've always wanted to make games and I'm getting a job at Amazon...

Greatest series of random events ever!

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
It's a by the numbers item hunt based on motion rather than a list of things. It's about as engaging as a children's book, with all of the words removed and the context missing, meaning that this game has less life than AN ACTUAL BOOK. Score ratings are set to standards much higher than you would expect from children, so there's no way they'll complete the challenges any time soon.

All of the dumb, stale FB standards are there....clicking on things daily, sending gifts, posting inane messages, an energy meter. All that, but without any action to at least try to trick me into thinking it's what I want!

Frankly I expected more from such a large company. Looks like they're going to stick with the boring but moderately profitable...ofc not sure if anybody would pay for extra "content" given how little there is to be had.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Free to play means they will be loaded with micro-transactions.

I get the feeling that they are going to do something like that if you buy something on Amazon, you'll get a free ingame item or some other kind of reward.

That's my impression anyway.

O.T; Solvemedia puzzle: i'm batman.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
Amazon Game Studios is a name that just SCREAMS quality, isn't it? /sarcasm

Seriously though, ANOTHER studio going for the Facebook games market? I weep for this industry sometimes.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
Will definitely keep my eyes on this. I expect they'll stick to the casual market, would be cool to see some new players in the AAA game to stir things up, but I'm trying to be realistic here. Amazon making a AAA title would be like someone trying to break into the console market with an Android based system, All odds point to failure but who knows, maybe they've an ace in their sleeve.

Folji

Jul 21, 2010
So flashy point and click fairy tale exploration games on Facebook. That's gonna go down in the video game hall of history, alright.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
"Use Powerups!"
"Explore a world!"
"Help friends!"

Seems very facebook games-ish to me. Will not probably be my cup of tea.

Aug 25, 2009
They've got their own publishing service and now their own game studio. Music next, then film production, and then Amazon will rule the world.

And I for one welcome our new corporate overlords.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Good to see a new game studio. Not sure Amazon have what it takes to be creators as opposed to distributors of content, but let them try.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Amazon is awful. They went into the book business because it was the one with the highest profit margins. They deliberately set up deals that screw everyone but them. They are cynical and abusive.

They'll fit right in.