Rumor: Assassin's Creed III to Feature 60 Minutes of PS3-Exclusive Gameplay

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Rumor: Assassin's Creed III to Feature 60 Minutes of PS3-Exclusive Gameplay

An Amazon listing suggests that PS3 players will get an hour of bonus Connor.

While developer Ubisoft announced at this year's E3 conference that its upcoming historical stab-fest British Amazon listing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/9684-E3-Preview-Assassins-Creed-3-Hands-On] for Assassins's Creed III which features a shiny little "60 minutes of exclusive content" stickeron the PS3 version of its box art.

If we assume that the British arm of Amazon's box art uploading crew is doing its job properly, now might be a good time to engage in some math. Four missions split across sixty potential minutes equals four fifteen-minute missions, or maybe some mixed-up stylin' arrangement such as one half-hour mission, one fifteen minute mission, and two little seven-and-a-half minute numbers. Maybe they could be fetch quests? The only thing we know just now is that you'll need a PS3 if you really want to find out.

At time of writing, the Amazon US page [http://www.amazon.com/Assassins-Creed-III-Playstation-3/dp/B0050SXFKE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344426048&sr=8-1&keywords=assassin%27s+creed+3+ps3] for the same product remains box-sticker-free, though it's likely that this difference is nothing more than a regional variation in either potential box art or Amazon upload habits. Though taking Amazon's word as law is generally not best practice, in this case, there doesn't seem to be much reason to assume that its box-sticker is lying.

Assassin's Creed III will be released for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC on October 30 2012.

Source: Digital Spy [http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a397780/assassins-creed-3-has-60-minutes-of-ps3-exclusive-content.html]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
In before the irony of 360 users complaining about PS3 getting exclusive content. Seriously though, to both sides: some consoles get exclusive deals.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
According the GameInformer that's a fact, not a rumor.[footnote]http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/08/06/ps3-assassin-39-s-creed-3-lands-exclusive-hour-of-content.aspx[/footnote]
It's probably going to be stuff related to the PSP version, Liberation. Like a crossover with Aveline or something.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
As a PS3/PC gamer, after Dawnguard, and my resolution to not buy it, I feel like this is some strange form of vindication.

At least Skyrim was a complete game unlike Fallout 3 without Broken Steel. Oh Bethesda, you with your selling the endings to games in DLC.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
You gotta love Ubisoft, they choose to screw over the other platforms in favor of the least selling console that sells the least games.

Gotta love that logic.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
I really don't understand system exclusives (except Soul Caliber, which gives you a character from that system's other fighting games, which makes actual sense, instead of, "Here's an hour of general content").

Why would Ubisoft want to favor PS3 players? Are they predicting sales of the PS3 version will be low, and want to say, "See? You're SPECIAL if you buy this!" with the hope that more PS3 players will buy it?

Or will they release this "exclusive" content as paid DLC on other systems in the future, and are banking on low DLC sales for the PS3 so they "might as well" give it away there to generate buzz?

Or were the managers trying to think up marketing tactics and were like, "I don't fu--PS3 EXCLUSIVE DO IT!"

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Oh, wow, what great marketing! It makes me want to run right out and buy a PS3 so I can get my whole hour of content that wasn't good enough to make it into the game proper!

Seriously, does this kind of offer ever work? Ever? Exclusive games/franchises, yes, I can see that being a factor when deciding which console to buy but tidbits like this? It hardly seems worth the bother, and will probably only serve to cause a few fanboy arguments.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
poiumty said:
An Amazon listing suggests that PS3 players will get an hour of bonus Connor.
Pffft. Missed pun, right there. Just replace hour with honor and... yeah.

Fappy said:
In before the irony of 360 users complaining about PS3 getting exclusive content.
In before one PC gamer comes and says that both of you suck anyway.

*ahem*

Both of you suck, anyway.
But I am a PC gamer too so... can I both suck and not suck simultaneously?

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
J Tyran said:
You gotta love Ubisoft, they choose to screw over the other platforms in favor of the least selling console that sells the least games.

Gotta love that logic.
Well, logically speaking, that is probably the better market to reach out to and try and get some new sales. I just think this is a foolish method of doing so. The only people who are going to care are the people who were going to buy the game anyway, and if they have a PS3 then they were probably going to buy a PS3 copy because most people can't afford multiple consoles.

I doubt that there was anyone who was uninterested before whose mind has been changed by the promise of an extra hour of playtime in a game they didn't care about.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
SonicWaffle said:
Oh, wow, what great marketing! It makes me want to run right out and buy a PS3 so I can get my whole hour of content that wasn't good enough to make it into the game proper!

Seriously, does this kind of offer ever work? Ever? Exclusive games/franchises, yes, I can see that being a factor when deciding which console to buy but tidbits like this? It hardly seems worth the bother, and will probably only serve to cause a few fanboy arguments.
Because some people own both consoles so Sony and Microsoft are competing for the same sale so they pay developers for exclusive content.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
SonicWaffle said:
J Tyran said:

Gotta love that logic.
Well, logically speaking, that is probably the better market to reach out to and try and get some new sales. I just think this is a foolish method of doing so. The only people who are going to care are the people who were going to buy the game anyway, and if they have a PS3 then they were probably going to buy a PS3 copy because most people can't afford multiple consoles.

I doubt that there was anyone who was uninterested before whose mind has been changed by the promise of an extra hour of playtime in a game they didn't care about.
Thats another problem, they probably will not gain many extra sales from doing this. The risk is how many people will say "PS3 getting extra?!? FFFFUUUUU Ubisoft, I aint buying the game now!."

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
getoffmycloud said:
SonicWaffle said:

Because some people own both consoles so Sony and Microsoft are competing for the same sale so they pay developers for exclusive content.
I'd imagine that the percentage of prospective sales who own both consoles is very, very small. I know literally nobody with both consoles; a few who did before getting rid of one because there was no point to owning both or one console - generally the PS3, despite the relative reputations of the machines - broke (amusingly for the topic at hand, all but one of those people kept the 360, so no free DLC for them!) but nobody who still has both. I also don't think I know anybody who would switch from their preferred platform and pick it up on a different one on the promise of a mere hours worth of free content. That seems like something only rabid uber-fans would do.