Rumor: BioShock Infinite Drops Multiplayer

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Rumor: BioShock Infinite Drops Multiplayer

According to anonymous sources, Infinite has scrapped two multiplayer modes during the course of its development.

Despite looking as gaps [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/3437-Bioshock-Infinite-E3-2011]. In an interview with gaming site Kotaku, Ken Levine, lead developer at BioShock studio Irrational Games, has now gone on the record to say that Infinite is "on track" for release in early 2013, reminding the world at large that blips and trips are commonplace in projects that are as "challenging" as this one. Questions remain, however, over the possible existence of a multiplayer mode in the game.

According to "sources close to the matter" who spoke to Kotaku, Infinite did indeed possess two nascent multiplayer modes until fairly recently. However, both were dropped following design decisions that the sources didn't describe in any particular detail. They did reveal, however, that the two scrapped modes comprised of one arcade-style tower defense game, and one "Spec Ops-style" co-op mode.

None of this means, of course, that there aren't different, undisclosed multiplayer modes hiding in Infinite's future. For his part, Levine wouldn't comment on the multiplayer aspect beyond saying, "As I've always said we are experimenting with things, and only if they are good enough will we put them in the game."

Levine concluded by addressing worries some fans have expressed over the future of BioShock Infinite, taking the opportunity to assuage community worries about some of the slightly troublesome news that has appeared during the game's development. "When you are trying to innovate," he said, "the path is not always clear and these things take time. But I guarantee this: The next time we show you guys the game the judge will be you, not me."

Here's to hoping that truer words were never spoken.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5933119/bioshock-infinite-update-multiplayer-modes-cut-gears-maestro-joining-should-fans-worry]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Bleh. Multiplayer in 2 sucked anyway. I don't mind them having multiplayer, I just hope it's not standard Deathmatch type.

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
I don't care about multiplayer in my Bioshock.

What is it with people and online deathmatch requirements these days?...

Apr 28, 2008
...Bioshock Infinite had multiplayer?

Huh

Can't say I'm sad to see it go. Like, at all. Never touched the multiplayer in Bioshock 2, just couldn't bring myself to care. Would've most likely been the same for this.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Both good and bad news. While it's good to hear that development is progressing, fact is a game like this could have possibly supported something unique and interesting in it's multiplayer. People are far too quick to complain about multiplayer being put in games where it supposedly doesn't belong and then complain when all multiplayer ends up feeling copy pasted from game to game. Some of the best mutliplayer experiences in recent memory have some from games where it didn't initially seem to make sense.

Artemis923 said:
I don't care about multiplayer in my Bioshock.

What is it with people and online deathmatch requirements these days?...
Umm.. as clearly stated in the article, neither of the dropped modes was "online deathmatch."

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
And not a single toss was given by BioShock fans, this I can guarantee. If I want multiplayer, I got CoD, CS, Battlefield, GMod, TF2, Dead Space 2, Assassin's Creed, Quake, Doom and a whole metric fuckton of other games.

Viper114

Dec 3, 2008
They can do without it. Slapping MP on a game isn't always a good idea, and something as intricate with the SP such as Bioshock is proof that A) It doesn't need MP to sell well (Bioshock 1) and B) Including MP anyway doesn't mean even more sales (Bioshock 2).

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Good. When other series have done such a good job of cornering the market on FPS multiplayer it starts getting ridiculous to insist that a mode of some sort still gets added to single player focused games. What this game needs to focus on is giving us a lengthier solo experience. For all the multiplayer champs their single player campaigns tend to only run 4-8 hours. So the non-RPG single player game should just drop MP mode and focus on giving us a game that last 12-20 hours to play through. Or while I don't care for this personally include game modes that give added value for multiple playthrough's.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Good, the less multiplayer the better. I play Killzone 3 MP for multiplayer and TF2 on the occasion. I play Bioshock for single player

Let's keep it that way

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
More time being spent on a great campaign instead of a half assed multiplayer mode that would have dead servers after a week. Good news.

Mullahgrrl

Apr 20, 2008
As much as I would like to not post the exact same opinion as the people above me, it litterally cant be said enough; multiplayer isn't needed or wanted in this kind of game.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
And nothing of value was lost.
If I wanted good online FPS games, there's countless out there already.

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
Good. Bioshock should be single-player.

Oh, who am I kidding? We all know the multiplayer is going to be there, right from the start, in the form of on-disk DLC.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Someone needs to reinvent multiplayer. How 'bout a true stealth multiplayer experience, not like AC. Which would be awesome.

OT-Not a single fuck was given from me.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Bleh. Multiplayer in 2 sucked anyway. I don't mind them having multiplayer, I just hope it's not standard Deathmatch type.
Having finally played Bioshock 2, as well as its multiplayer, I would say cutting MP completely would only be a plus. The MP in 2 was fun, but its just like ME3, just not all that great.