Ubisoft Delays Assassin's Creed 3 on PC

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ubisoft Delays Assassin's Creed 3 on PC

Despite previous denials, Ubisoft has now pushed the PC version of Assassin's Creed 3 back by nearly a month.

As recently as Polygon [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118943-Rumor-Assassins-Creed-III-to-Feature-60-Minutes-of-PS3-Exclusive-Gameplay] that the reports were incorrect and that it would be out on October 30. And yet in spite of all that, are any of us really surprised to find out that the PC edition won't actually hit the shelves until three weeks after the console release?

The correct answer, of course, is "no." This is Ubisoft we're talking about, and delaying PC releases for a month is what it does. So it is that the company today announced that while the 360 and PS3 versions of Assassin's Creed 3 will come out on schedule, the PC version won't launch until November 20 in North America and November 23 in the U.K.

No reasons for the delay were given, so with little more to say on the matter I'll instead direct your attention to GameSpy's [http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/assassins-creed-2012/1221571p1.html] interesting and illuminating March interview with Ubisoft, which went thusly:

GameSpy: So when's the PC release date?

Ubisoft PR: October 30th.

GameSpy: Yeah, but when's the real PC release date?

Ubisoft PR: It's October 30th.

GameSpy: Uh huh. And can you say that with a straight face?

Ubisoft PR: You can ask me as many times as you like, but the answer will be the same.

GameSpy: Very well, let's move on. So, when will you announce the delay of the PC version?

Ubisoft PR: ...

Indeed.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/10/assassins-creed-3-pc-delayed-back-to-november/]

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
but if they didn't hold back the release date how could they implement the annoying, invasive DRM?

any bets what it will be this time?
securom? always online? always online securom that has a security flaw that gives hackers full access to your computer?

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Ubisoft is the kind of company that feel the need to constantly remind PC gamers that theirs is a sad existence that will always be tormented by late release dates, crappy console ports and painful DRM.

Nonetheless i still forget it from time to time.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
I haven't bought a Ubisoft PC game since Assassin's Creed 1. I got the rest on console because sod that DRM.

captcha: Skynet is watching.
I think I just shat my pants.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Yeah... have fun Ubisoft. I won't be getting this until it is dirt-cheap on Steam. Because Valve is awesome and you are not. :p

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
I remember guessing this back when they said they weren't investing in Kb + M for AC3 and everyone panicked.

I had fucking called it.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Surprise, Surprise. Except not really. This has happened every single time. And they wonder why PC gamers don't like Ubisoft, and why they pirate their games.. Tsk tsk.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Andy Chalk said:
And yet in spite of all that, are any of us really surprised to find out that the PC edition won't actually hit the shelves until three weeks after the console release?
Of course not. Those 3 extra weeks are vital for Ubisoft to break UPlay, downgrade their DRM servers, fill the PC version boxes with rabid ferrets or whatever trick they've decided to use to ensure PC gamers cannot enjoy any of their games.

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
I'm sure this is just a ploy to ensure that day-one sales aren't destroyed by the Goddamn pirates. Except now everyone on the PC is going to pirate it anyway out of spite. Smooth, Ubisoft.

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
The delay is to allow Ubisoft to perfect their newish brand of DRM of course. I'm going to buy it for the console then download a DRM-free PC copy later.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well, crap, I guess I have to start viewing gamespy as a serious source of something now.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
And who bet's the PC version will be leaked to Torrent sites a week before the console release?

Oh, who am I kidding? A month before at least.

Ubisoft dear boy, delaying the PC version of a game dose bugger all to stop pirates - in fact it tends to encourage people to pirate since they can't get the game for their platform right then and there. You want to stop pirates? Make buying the game easier than pirating it - you do that by having it on sale on time, at a reasonable price, without making the customer jump though multiple hoops and (most importantly) fully working. Plus, you can always release an uberborked version to the pirate sites to make the pirated versions even more of a crapshoot.