Horror Platformer They Bleed Pixels Ditches XBLA for Steam

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Horror Platformer They Bleed Pixels Ditches XBLA for Steam

They Bleed Pixels developer thinks he will reach a wider audience on Steam.

They Bleed Pixels is a beat-em-up for the Lovecraftian gamer. Your protagonist, having been dumped on the doorstep of the Lafcadio Academy for Troubled Young Ladies - hmmm [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lafcadio_Hearn] - is drawn to a mysterious and dangerous grimoire. Soon afterwards she has to battle through her own nightmares, where stylish kills are the only way to survive. All this is due to come to Steam rather than XBLA, as had originally been planned, as the developer wants to reach a wider audience and feels that Steam is the best way to do that.

"For those waiting for the release date," said developer Miguel Sternberg, "we're very close to being able to announce it. We're just finishing up sound and squashing a few pesky bugs. It's been a busy year and I think players will really appreciate the additional content and polish." The move to Steam was a late decision, but one that Sternberg thinks will help the game get the exposure it deserves. "Throughout development other game developers and players have told us that the game really deserves to reach a larger audience and the move to PC and Steam will do just that." Most of the remaining changes that need to be made are Steamworks related, which suggests that the game could be out very soon.

They Bleed Pixels plays much like other beat-em-ups, with a little twist. Usually if you mess up you go back to a predetermined checkpoint, but not this time. In They Bleed Pixels the location of the checkpoint is dependent on your gameplay up to that point. "[P]layers must earn and place checkpoints through stylish kills," according to the official site. "The more and better you kill, the faster you fill your checkpoint meter. Avoid combat or button mash mindlessly and you'll find checkpoints uncomfortably far apart." The player gets to choose where that checkpoint goes, so better plan ahead or you'll find yourself in a bad place entirely of your own making. In a Nightmare Mode interview, Sternberg said of this feature that it forced a mental reset. "You see it when players first pick up the game and they're not paying attention to what direction their pressing and they get their asses handed to them."

No word on when this will be released, but all indications are it will happen soon.

Source: They Bleed Pixels [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-11-they-bleed-pixels-switches-platforms-from-xblig-to-steam]

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
Looks like fun, and the checkpoint system sounds interesting. I don't know if that's been done before. And it'll be on Steam, so I can actually play it!

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
I always thought that steam was the best place for indie games, as it's usually the best option for a PC gamer, what with a lot of AAA titles being ported horribly and very few games being made for the PC (of good quality at least).

That and impulse buying.
Oh dear god impulse buying.

Penguinplayer

Mar 31, 2009
That's so awesome, it's good to see developers leaving Microsoft and going to Steam, where it's cheaper to patch and their work will probably sell much more.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Karloff said:
Your protagonist, having been dumped on the doorstep of the Lafcadio Academy for Troubled Young Ladies - hmmm [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lafcadio_Hearn] - is drawn to a mysterious and dangerous grimoire.
Annnnd I knew where that was linking to before I even checked. Too much Touhou Project for me.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
Seems like a very reasonable choice. I don't know how Super Meat Boy fared on consoles but it's really popular on PC as are many other hard, unforgiving platformers. Hopefully, it'll work out.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I didn't know it was doing that thing with checkpoints. That, plus the fact that it looks bloody fun (pun fully intended) just sealed the deal. If I knew how much it'd cost, I'd be able to send that to Paypal now and get the game on day one. Unfortunately, since Paypal need a week to dick about with my money before adding it...

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Buretsu said:
And I'm sure the Fez and Silent Hill HD horror stories had nothing to do with it...
Haha, I'm surprised this wan't the first comment made. That was my first thought, "it couldn't possibly be because Micro$hits and XBLA screws people over on the regular".

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
And I've been sold.
Looks really creepy, can't wait to play this in a dark lit room.