Penelope Cruz Makes a Great Mario

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Penelope Cruz Makes a Great Mario

The first Nintendo ad for New Super Mario Brothers 2 is out, and mustaches are sexy again.

Celebrity appearances in videogame ads are nothing new [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmPsA-WsZJQ], but this time out Penelope Cruz, Academy Award winning Spanish star, steals the show. For once the spokesperson in the ad actually seems to enjoy the game, as Penelope and her sister Monica compete to be the first to get a million points. This is the second time the two have worked together on-screen; Monica doubled for her sister in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.

This is the first ad for New Super Mario Brothers 2, the 3DS game that has been released in Japan but has yet to make its way across the water. Though it is co-op, the game's ultimate goal is to get a million coins, as Mario and his brother Luigi battle their way through the levels to save Princess Peach yet again. Nintendo has said that it wants the game to be accessible to players of all skill levels, and so far it's been the most popular game on the Nintendo eShop since its release.

New Super Mario Brothers 2 is out in August 2012 in Europe, North America and Australia. All bets on the outcome of games are, of course, the responsibility of the players concerned.

Source: Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/08/17/pen-233-lope-cruz-is-mario-in-new-nintendo-ad.aspx]

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
This is still my favourite moustache-themed nintendo commercial though:

Also, I had to skip most of the commercial. Penelope Cruz is an ok actor in spanish movies, but her english is meh.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I don't really like the commercial. As someone pointed out on another source (where I first saw it), it just feels too fake with the way that they're speaking so casually to each other in English, despite being in such a casual one-on-one situation. I can understand how subtitles probably wouldn't have worked too well, since it would take our focus off of the clips of the game itself, but if that's the case, then don't hire two actresses with such over-bearing "you know they're used to speaking a foreign language in this kinda situation" accents.

Keep in mind, I have no problem with Penelope and Monica getting jobs; it's just that if you're gonna hire them for a commercial where they need to speak English, put them in a situation where it makes sense that they'll be speaking English. Otherwise the whole situation just feels too forced and awkward.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011

Awesome, I think I have a new fetish. Hot women wearing blue overalls and fake moustaches :/

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well it's certainly better than One Direction advertising Pokemon, I'll give it that much. Not that it would be particularly difficult mind.

This one is still my favourite though. Even without my Community bias.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
All I could think of is how I now want a commercial for DotA2 where its just 2 people next to eachother cursing at eachother and threatening eachother and then one of them just scream "Why are there Brazilians on the US server!" then they go back to yelling at eachother.

RaeAlethea

Feb 25, 2012
...You do know the game's out in the US right? I downloaded it on my 3DS this morning from the eShop.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
The rise in temperature you just felt is due to the collective wistful sighs of men everywhere.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Oh well hmm... wait i'm sorry what video game were they advertising again? Christ on a bun, them gals are attractive. Nice to see they're actually playing (I hope) and not just pretending to play.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
To be honest, I think Penelope's sister is the better looking one.

Wait, what was her name again? Monica?

Crap. My sister's name is Monica. That name is forever ruined for me.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
RaeAlethea said:
...You do know the game's out in the US right? I downloaded it on my 3DS this morning from the eShop.
They probably wrote this before it was released, and given that it's two days after, they didn't go that late...

RaeAlethea

Feb 25, 2012
weirdguy said:
RaeAlethea said:
They probably wrote this before it was released, and given that it's two days after, they didn't go that late...
All I'm saying is that the author obviously didn't do his research. The release date for this game was announced a few weeks ago, and saying that the game "hasn't made it across the pond yet" is just plain wrong. In fact, its already out in Europe, Australia, and here in North America. Didn't take very much effort to Google it.

P.S.: lol captcha "pipe down"

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
Well it's certainly better than One Direction advertising Pokemon, I'll give it that much. Not that it would be particularly difficult mind.
One Direction did what now?
Do I even want to see it? Or will I just hate the world a little more?