Nintendo Power Ceasing Publication After 24 Years

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Nintendo Power Ceasing Publication After 24 Years

"Difficult to work with" Nintendo is uninterested in continuing Nintendo Power.

For over two decades, Nintendo Power has been one of the most prominent gaming magazines available. The first issue was released in the summer of 1988, and it was published by Nintendo from 1989 to 2007, when Future US took over. Now Nintendo Power is coming to an end after 24 years, with Future US planning to stop publishing the magazine.

The news was originally reported by Ars Technica, and confirmed by Nintendo Power Senior Editor Chris Hoffman on Twitter. Like many publications in the magazine industry, Nintendo Power struggled as online news sources became more and more popular. Nintendo Power saw a 10% decline in circulation in the first half of 2012, with a current monthly readership of about 475,000. According to Ars Technica's source, Nintendo was "difficult to work with," and uninterested in renewing its contract with Future US.

Hoffman stated on Twitter that the staff of Nintendo Power will "try to make the last issues memorable." There's no word yet on how this will affect current subscribers, or exactly how many more issues are left before Nintendo Power shuts down completely. Best of luck to the magazine's editors and staffers, who are reportedly being moved to other Future US publications.

Source: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/08/source-nintendo-power-magazine-to-cease-publication/]

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Wow I didn't even know Nintendo Power was still around...
I thought it had died off in the early 2000s. Seriously where did they even sell the thing, I don't think I've seen it on any store shelves or game stores?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The funny thing is I actually just subscribed to Nintendo Power...I should be getting my first issue in the next couple of weeks. I never had a subscription as a kid and while I knew this was coming and guess I deserve to lose my...however much my subscription cost (don't remember the price). It seems unfair that Nintendo Power is going under while Game Informer is allowed to continue on.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
This is horribly depressing. I may have stopped subscribing over half a decade ago, but I have so many good memories from the old days. I started reading their stuff when I learned how to read! I have issues that date back before the SNES came out!

I don't have enough :( to illustrate my despair.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Fappy said:
This is horribly depressing. I may have stopped subscribing over half a decade ago, but I have so many good memories from the old days. I started reading their stuff when I learned how to read! I have issues that date back before the SNES came out!

Me too.

I loved reading Nintendo Power when I was a little kid, and this just makes me sad. It was so cool reading each issue and learning about new easter eggs and cheat codes for a diffrent game.

Now I feel old and depressed. :(

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Fappy said:

Me too.

I loved reading Nintendo Power when I was a little kid, and this just makes me sad. It was so cool reading each issue and learning about new easter eggs and cheat codes for a diffrent game.

One of my favorite parts about the magazine was seeing games I had never heard of and playing them years later only to remember, "Hey that's right! I remember seeing this game covered in Nintendo Power when I was a kid". This happened with me and Chrono Trigger when I played it for the first time in High School (roughly 10 years after release). I got stuck at one part and instead of looking it up online I dug up an old issue of Nintendo Power and found out what I had to do :p

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
DVS BSTrD said:
Now instead of looking in a magazine for game clues, we'll just have to use a web bowser.
I think that killed me a little bit inside.

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
Fappy said:

Same here. That magazine was a huge part of my childhood. It was probably inevitable given the rise of the internet, but seeing it finally die is still sad.

At least I'll still have issue 100 to remember it all by.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Wow... I can't believe it. I thought Nintendo Magazine would just continue on forever, and be one of those things that could never die. Sadly, I've been proven wrong.

At least you can continue using Nintendo Power on the Internet...

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
I stopped buying Nintendo Power when I moved to Mexico (For fairly obvious reasons). Now that I'm back it feels kind of sad knowing that it's gonna end. I might buy the last few issues to come out, just for good measure.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Now instead of looking in a magazine for game clues, we'll just have to use a web bowser.
Nice. To survive almost 20 years after the invention of the Internet is still pretty impressive feat.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
Wow...this really is kinda depressing. I never owned a subscription, but it's just always sort of been there, for as long as i can remember. Ah well, best of luck to all those involved with the magazine.

BJ Wanlund

Apr 16, 2012
It's horribly, horribly depressing to hear of the demise of Nintendo Power, although I figured it was only a matter of time. I got into NP full-time a bit late (issue 85 was the first issue I had read cover to cover, not including the SMB3 strategy guide), and I am depressed that it's now ending. (Let's hope that Nintendo does something nice for us once they finally print that last issue.)

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Fappy said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Fappy said:

Me too.

One of my favorite parts about the magazine was seeing games I had never heard of and playing them years later only to remember, "Hey that's right! I remember seeing this game covered in Nintendo Power when I was a kid". This happened with me and Chrono Trigger when I played it for the first time in High School (roughly 10 years after release). I got stuck at one part and instead of looking it up online I dug up an old issue of Nintendo Power and found out what I had to do :p
Good times, man good times.

Time to pour out a cold one for it.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I used to be a subscriber years ago, and I can understand them wanting to quit. What's even the point of having Magazines anymore with the internet? Everything that would be reported in a monthly magazine would have been reported a month earlier.

Instant information 24/7 is making things like newspapers and magazines obsolete.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
God, this is sad.
I remember going through and reading my uncles old collections of these.
Being the games I was playing at the time, I read these constantly.
I'll have to pick up a copy of the last issue.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, at least in Mexico we still have Club Nintendo, wich is the closest thing to Nintendo Power (and amazingly, it's still being published to this very day), but it's quite sad to see it's inspiration being closed down.

Even if I don't buy any more issues of Club Nintendo since the early 2000's, I fear for the same fate if it ever happens and it certainly saddens me to even think that the very magazine that teached me how to read would close down someday.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
I remember my copy of the Super Mario 3 player's guide, with full maps of the completely linear levels. Good times.