Take a Video Tour of Darth Vader's Hometown

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Take a Video Tour of Darth Vader's Hometown

Anakin Skywalker's hometown of Mos Espa is not only still standing, but people are actually living there.

Back in 1997, George Lucas dragged the Phantom Menace production team out into the middle of the Tunisian desert, where they constructed Anakin Skywalker's home village of Mos Espa, a ramshackle collection of mud domes and vaporators on the planet Tatooine. It was all left behind when filming was complete, and yet today, 15 years later, it's all still standing - even the vaporators.

The intrepid team at RocketNews24 recently took a trip to check out the old Star Wars sets and found they were still standing and in good shape, although in spite of their intergalactic pedigree, they're not quite as high-tech as they looked in the film. The team said that everything is still in good condition and seems very sturdy, but all the techno-gadgetry was constructed from nothing but wood and plastic. The up-close look at the vaporator is particularly revealing; it's just a painted box with some plumbing bolted onto it.

Amazingly, this isn't the only Star Wars set still standing in Tunisia. Die-hard fans looking for the full experience can even spend the night in the Lars homestead, Luke's childhood home, which is actually part of the Hotel Sidi Driss. There are no props remaining and apparently the accommodations aren't all that, but the exterior is still as it was in the one and true Star Wars and it offers a bar with a menu inspired by the films. Best of all, it's just ten bucks a night, including a traditional Tunisian breakfast - and you probably won't be turned into a smoking corpse by rampaging stormtroopers.

Source: RocketNews24 [http://en.rocketnews24.com/2012/07/02/star-wars-tatooine-set-pieces-still-standing-in-the-tunisian-desert-we-investigate/]

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
The last line made me chuckle, Tourists have been killed in Tunisia before and the political situation still is not exactly stable.

Mar 26, 2008
Wow, it literally is in the middle of nowhere. And what's up with all the birds of prey being stored in one of the prop buildings?

anian

Sep 10, 2008
Heh, I was actually there at the sight and it's really weird how the site looks actually much better on this film, than it does in reality.
It is weirdly in the middle of nowhere, well actually there's an oasis with hotel resorts about 15 min drive from there.

Draxz

May 2, 2012
anian said:
Heh, I was actually there at the sight and it's really weird how the site looks actually much better on this film, than it does in reality.
It is weirdly in the middle of nowhere, well actually there's an oasis with hotel resorts about 15 min drive from there.
Atleast now I know I can camp somewhere, if I ever get lost in the desert =P

Do they accept Visa debit cards?

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
That's pretty cool.

Urrmmmmm.......guys, why is the internet sticky?

*Waits for joke to hit in 3........2.......1.........*

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
UPDATE: Lucas, upon seeing this video has decided to make a "Special Edition" version with CG buildings, characters, and creatures in order to cram as much shit into the frame as possible.

Seriously, that's awesome.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
On the other hand: it's Tunisia, a place who's current government isn't even two years old after a revolution.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
J Tyran said:
The last line made me chuckle, Tourists have been killed in Tunisia before and the political situation still is not exactly stable.
But at least it won't be rampaging stormstroopers. >.>

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Draxz said:
anian said:

Well, it IS everywhere you want to be.

...Even a Galaxy Far, Far, Away.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
So does the Tunisian breakfast come with blue milk? Also...what would be their policy on New Zealand tourists who listed their religion as Jedi?

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
GamemasterAnthony said:
So does the Tunisian breakfast come with blue milk? Also...what would be their policy on New Zealand tourists who listed their religion as Jedi?
You might have storm trooper trouble then, but you have the force. So chill bro :p

Draxz

May 2, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
Draxz said:
anian said:

Well, it IS everywhere you want to be.

...Even a Galaxy Far, Far, Away.
"... When gays weren't so 'in your face' about it."

x'D

The Dutchess

Feb 24, 2011
It's sort of sad, desolate and falling into ruin. As if it was attacked by tusken raiders ... cool though.