2K Supports Indie Retailers With Borderlands 2 Top Trumps

Jeremy Wilkinson

Behatted Physicist
Jun 14, 2012
2K Supports Indie Retailers With Borderlands 2 Top Trumps

Limited-edition goodies surface for UK pre-orders of Borderlands 2 at independent shops.

Borderlands publisher 2K Games has unveiled an extra treat aimed at encouraging gamers to buy the upcoming Borderlands 2 from locally-owned stores. UK customers who pre-order the game from selected independent retailers will receive one of 5,000 exclusive Top Trumps decks based on Borderlands 2.

[gallery=877]

The "Guns Guns Guns" deck focuses on, predictably, the game's variety of guns (of which there will be many [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118498-Borderlands-2-Will-Be-Insanely-Well-Armed]). The pack follows the same style as other Top Trumps cards, with each of the pack's 30 cards adorned with various weapon statistics to compare and use for battle. The cards also contain snippets of information about the various manufacturers, as well as a game-style piece of artwork depicting each gun.

2K's UK PR manager, Ben Lawrence, has stated that the Top Trumps deck will be strictly limited-edition. "Only 5000 packs of cards will be distributed across the country and will be available on a first-come-first-serve basis," he said. "Once they're gone, they're gone so I'd encourage people to check with their local indie store to see if they're stocking the cards."

At a time when high-street stores are especially feeling the pinch, it's nice to see a high-profile release being used to support independent businesses so directly. There's been no word yet on whether retailers in regions outside the UK will have similar promotions, though.

Borderlands 2 will hit stores, independent and otherwise, on September 18 in North America and September 21 in Europe.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-23-pre-order-borderlands-2-at-an-indie-shop-get-top-trumps-cards]

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I have no idea what Top Trumps is and I don't live in the UK, but I'm still incredibly happy that this is happening. Borderlands is doing a lot of things right, hopefully it can influence the industry in some way.

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
I hope that they release the Top Trumps set for general sale sometime in the future. But for now, it's wonderful to see Gearbox supporting independent stores like this. Sadly I don't know of any independent game stores in my area that sells anything but second hand games.

Quicksilver_Phoenix

Apr 14, 2009
GeorgW said:
I have no idea what Top Trumps is and I don't live in the UK, but I'm still incredibly happy that this is happening. Borderlands is doing a lot of things right, hopefully it can influence the industry in some way.
Top Trumps is a stat based card game. You and your friend play cards against each other, with one person choosing which stat will be the decider. Whoever has the lowest stat has to give their card to the other player. The winner is the person with all the cards at the end of the game.

O.T: It's great to see them doing something like this to support smaller businesses. Many small game shops have unfortunately closed down in recent years.

Dr_Pie

Aug 11, 2009
If I hadn't already pre-ordered it from Steam, I'd totally look around for a shop doing these.

I guess that means the promotion's working, it's just a little slow =P

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
Aah, pity I live in Australia. Oh well, already got the limited edition of Borderlands 2 pre-ordered. I would have got the Relic Hunter edition but they sold out before I could get to a store XD. Really can't wait for Borderlands 2, Gearbox really know how to make a good image. I guess they are trying to make up for Duke Nukem: Forever.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
LittleMikey said:
Aah, pity I live in Australia. Oh well, already got the limited edition of Borderlands 2 pre-ordered. I would have got the Relic Hunter edition but they sold out before I could get to a store XD. Really can't wait for Borderlands 2, Gearbox really know how to make a good image. I guess they are trying to make up for Duke Nukem: Forever.
We didn't even get the full on collectors edition over here in New Zealand, did you guys have that option?

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
LittleMikey said:
We didn't even get the full on collectors edition over here in New Zealand, did you guys have that option?
I'm not sure if this is the full collectors edition... this is the stuff it comes with: https://content.ebgames.com.au/website/images/detail/BL2LE_detail_1000_v3.jpg

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
LittleMikey said:
chozo_hybrid said:
LittleMikey said:
I'm not sure if this is the full collectors edition... this is the stuff it comes with: https://content.ebgames.com.au/website/images/detail/BL2LE_detail_1000_v3.jpg
Nah, that's what we got as well. You know those cool red chests in the game? The get one of those to store it all in and a bit more as well, it isn't 1:1 scale, but it's a decent size.

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
LittleMikey said:
chozo_hybrid said:
LittleMikey said:
Nah, that's what we got as well. You know those cool red chests in the game? The get one of those to store it all in and a bit more as well, it isn't 1:1 scale, but it's a decent size.
Aah yeah, that's the Vault Hunter edition. I tried to preorder one of those, but apparently they sold out in like three hours or something crazy like that.