Psychonauts Comes to PSN

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Psychonauts Comes to PSN

Tim Schaefer's cult classic gets a downloadable release as part of the Playstation Classics program.

When last seen, Tim Schaefer was rolling around in a new money bin built to hold his Kickstarter proceeds. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116059-Tim-Schafer-Says-Publishers-Arent-Worried-About-Kickstarter] The latest from Double Fine is that its cult classic adventure game Psychonauts will be coming to the Playstation Network as a downloadable title. It will be available as of next week Tuesday, so - in the words of PlayStation blogger and community manager Chris Remo - "Tune up your heartstrings. Clean off your credit card." This comes courtesy of the PlayStation 2 Classic program, intended to bring PS2 titles to current consoles.

Remo went on to say "as it turns out, we do love free money! (Preferably in cash-stuffed envelopes slid under the office door.)." He went on to explain why it had taken so long for the game to get a PSN release: "to truly become a PlayStation 2 Classic, we wanted to ensure Psychonauts had all the time it needed to grow into its status as a classic, like a fine artisanal Tuscan cheese. But less smelly." Psychonauts has been available on the iStore and Steam for a while, but this is the first time it's been available as a PlayStation title since its release in 2005.

Psychonauts, the game beloved by his Kickstarter project [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2-Psychonauts] ... but that's a story for another day.

Source: Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/08/23/psychonauts-releases-as-a-playstation-2-classic-on-psn-next-tuesday.aspx]

UPDATE: Clarification: Chris Remo, described as a PlayStation blogger, does not work for Sony. Remo is a Double Fine employee.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Giving Tim Schafer money is never a bad thing. Hopefully this reaches a new audience for Psychonauts. Love that game.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Wait, did he ACTUALLY say "as it turns out, we DO love free money"? Because you used quotation marks, so it should be a quote, but that doesn't sound like anything somebody would actually say.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Nyeh. What was so great about Psychonauts? (This sounds more confrontational than I mean it to be. I've played Psychonauts, and it seemed like a fairly average platformer with a bunch of big headed midgets. The only part I really liked about it was Razputin Aquato's name. Hence the question.)

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Cool, if it's under £5.99 I may consider it over the steam version, that said I need a decent controller for my PC if I wanna play this. (No, a mouse and keyboard will not do in this situation)

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Nyeh. What was so great about Psychonauts? (This sounds more confrontational than I mean it to be. I've played Psychonauts, and it seemed like a fairly average platformer with a bunch of big headed midgets. The only part I really liked about it was Razputin Aquato's name. Hence the question.)
For me, it was the combination of great comedy writing and a great voice cast with really solid platforming gameplay. Even now, it's hard to find a game with any sort of honestly comedic side at all, and if you do find one chances are it's not going to be that enjoyable on the gameplay side of things. Psychonauts combined both. I also really enjoyed the visual design, which is another thing that stil stands out today (love it or hate it, as I know some people do).

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Will it have trophies? I know that, to a lot of people, that's a stupid make-or-break point, but I already own the game on my X-Box and it still works just fine. The only downside is I have to spend about two minutes hooking the wires back in, but that's it. So that's why I will get it if it comes with trophies.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I just pray the PSN version isn't as bad as the PS2 one.

Because seriously, that was bad.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Everyone owes it to themselves to purchase and play this game. It's a perfect example of dark humour, ingenious gameplay mechanics, smart platforming and character driven story telling blended into one exquisite game. Considering it was Double Fine's first game they got an awful lot right.

Quantum Star

Jul 17, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
Will it have trophies? I know that, to a lot of people, that's a stupid make-or-break point, but I already own the game on my X-Box and it still works just fine. The only downside is I have to spend about two minutes hooking the wires back in, but that's it. So that's why I will get it if it comes with trophies.
Unfortunately, it won't. PS2 classics are straight up ports of the original game, unlike something like, Rayman 3 HD for example, which has other little things like graphical updates.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
Quantum Star said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Unfortunately, it won't. PS2 classics are straight up ports of the original game, unlike something like, Rayman 3 HD for example, which has other little things like graphical updates.
Does that mean it will be as buggy as the first one? D:

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Hrm... So... its another reminder that there is actually nothing preventing the PS3 from supporting backwards compatibility other than making money and gullible people rewarding them for screwing us over.

But on the bright side, a failed game will get yet another chance to make money. So I guess its not all bad.

Silverrox

Jun 7, 2016
Quantum Star said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Actually that is not true. The PS4 versions of Final Fantasy VII (PSOne), Dark Cloud (PS2), and Dark Cloud 2 (PS2) have trophies.

Also it looks like there are trophies: https://www.exophase.com/game/psychonauts-ps4/trophies/