EA Stock Drops 25 Percent In Two Days

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Stock Drops 25 Percent In Two Days

GamesIndustry [http://www.ea.com] reports, as the company's stock has dropped almost 25 percent over the past two days in the wake of lowered guidance and predictions that the company will not meet its revenue and profit targets in the future.

On December 9, EA CEO John Riccitiello issued a warning to investors that sales had fallen short of expectations. "While we saw significant improvement in the overall quality of our key products this year, we are disappointed that our holiday slate is not meeting our sales expectations," he said. As a result, the publisher will be cutting titles from its release schedule in 2010, consolidating operations and laying off employees. "While we are cutting costs, we remain committed to investing in great game quality, in new properties and in our direct-to-consumer initiatives," he added. "We will be launching several new titles and online games in fiscal 2010."

In the wake of that admission, EA stocks tumbled more than 22 percent in just two days, while Wedbush Morgan [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21459]. "With the stock hovering near a seven-year low, management continued its recent history of disappointment. Just when investors began to believe that things couldn't get worse, they did, and we believe that investors remain skeptical that management is on the right track." He added that he was no longer confident in the company's ability to meet its fiscal 2011 goals of $6 billion in revenue and $1.5 billion in operating profit.

Colin Sebastian of Lazard Capital Markets [http://www.lazardcap.com/], meanwhile, called for a more "aggressive restructuring" of the company, saying that EA "has yet to demonstrate meaningful franchise growth or operating efficiencies midway through the current console cycle." But Sebastian seemed more inclined to place at least some of the blame on consumer nervousness about the economy, saying, "While we continue to believe that industry sales remain fairly steady, the weaker consumer is contributing to growing disparity in product performance."

Despite the poor performance, Pachter said he doesn't believe Riccitiello's job is in any immediate jeopardy. Speaking to GamePolitics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/12/11/will-riccitiello-survive-ea-slump-we-ask-pachter], he said, "He's probably not in trouble yet. He's probably in trouble in eight months or a year if this new strategy shows no traction." He also suggested that EA's games are "fine," but that the company is overly ambitious, releasing far too many games at once.

"It's not like Fallout [http://www.mirrorsedge.com/]. How could you expect that game to fly? It got lost. I don't think its an indictment of what they were doing."

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
they will surely blame piracy rather than their shitty products, microtransactions, business practices, and their own admission that quality in games isn't a big factor in their stradegy.

Burn baby, burn.

Greyhawk

Sep 29, 2008
"And lo, the carrion crow that is DRM comes home to roost at last."

...well, I'd like to say that, but this probably has more to do with gamers being more concerned with keeping their houses than buying the next AAA title.

rougeknife

Jan 2, 2008
Greyhawk said:
...well, I'd like to say that, but this probably has more to do with gamers being more concerned with keeping their houses than buying the next AAA title.
QTF, I'm not going to run out and buy every bloody game that is released, and I'm very much inclined to sit back after a week to see what others say about it. If its average, I?ll give it a pass, if not, I?ll have a go.

You know what my Christmas list is?
Farcry2
Fallout3
L4D

That?s about $300AU RRP, though in the end I paid about 250AU. I would have also given Mirrors Edge more thought, however, no PC, no way. That and DRM. I?m still laughing that Spore is the most downloaded game in spite of DRM, or perhaps to spite :)

Rajin Cajun

Sep 12, 2008
And the Council of Gaming Gods have spoken! EA is to suffer from the plague until they all die for their perversion of gaming with the deadly DRM. Death to EA! The Gaming Gods have spoken. So let it be written, so let it be done.

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
nah nah nah naaaaaah nah nah nah naaaaah HEY HEY HEY! GOOODBYE! Lets hope it keeps going, it'll be good for the gaming industry as a whole.

Ronwue

Oct 22, 2008
Well... duh, how many more NFSs, FIFAs, NHLs, NBAs games did you expect to put out before people stopped giving a damn?

raichuman

Aug 9, 2006
ouch the hate! I'm actually sad to see this news. If you read, you'll notice that there's a lot of mentions of underperformance by Dead Space and (moreso) by Mirror's Edge, two new IPs with at least moderate gameplay innovations. I'm as happy as the next guy to see and end to sequel strings, but should we really be booing the development of titles like these? Sure, NFS Underground can go rot, but I really would like to see more of the new IP.

Also, as a soon-to-be-college-graduate game developer, I would remind you that the game developers themselves aren't in charge of what DRM is slapped on their game. They make the game; the higher-ups decide how to lock it up. So just be sure you direct your ire where it's deserved...

Feb 13, 2008
Hankage said:
You know what would be really funny at this point? If Take-Two bought EA.
Personally I'm praying for that. Although Take 2 have lost a LOT of favour with me after the Colonization debacle.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Hankage said:
You know what would be really funny at this point? If Take-Two bought EA.
Personally I'm praying for that. Although Take 2 have lost a LOT of favour with me after the Colonization debacle.
Yeah, but it still would be hilarious.

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
FYI EA doing bad only hurts the industry so you can point and laugh as they cut back on new games and cut down on smaller companies within the company.

You understand EA keeps making Madden because people keep BUYING MADDEN? What do you want them to do?

Seriously stop with the stupid "HAHA TAKE THAT EA" because the worse they do, the less games were going to see in the future. Jesus you people are so damn spiteful, I really just don't understand.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
The general public actually figured out that they've been paying full game price for glorified expansion packs? It's a miracle!

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
thedrop2zer0 said:
SirSchmoopy said:
Seriously stop with the stupid "HAHA TAKE THAT EA" because the worse they do, the less games were going to see in the future. Jesus you people are so damn spiteful, I really just don't understand.
I don't care how much it hurts the industry. I want them to burn. I don't hold anything against the developers that make their games. Programmers, level designers, etc. They're all just doing their jobs and they can't help that the higher powers drag the company through the mud with shady, immoral business decisions. I feel for them, I really do. But at the same time, I want the current management and CEO to be replaced. And if the company fails before they realize what changes need to be made...it's all on them. If I worked for EA right now, I'd be looking everywhere I could for another job.
Then I have nothing to say to your kind because you basically said "Fuck the future of gaming, I rather it go down the shitter because I have grudges with a company har har har"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I don't really get this rampant hate either. I know a lot of people have issues with EA's love affair with SecuROM, but is personal dislike enough of a reason to hope for the loss of hundreds of industry jobs?

The saddest part is that EA did try to break away from their past bad habits this year. Mirror's Edge and Dead Space were both significant departures from the norm, both reportedly solid products and both of which were given major pushes prior to release - and both of which failed to live up to expectations.

Which isn't to say they failed - a big part of the problem comes from the fact that EA is so goddamned huge, anything that's not a major mega-hit is somehow viewed as falling short. Pachter has it right: Both Dead Space and Mirror's Edge did reasonably well (most publishers would love to put out games that hit those numbers) and could become very solid franchises in the future. I guess you could say the company has become a victim of its own success, and now anything that doesn't add up to six billion dollars in FY11 - six fucking billion dollars - is somehow a failure.