Sony's Console Wars Are Coming

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Sony's Console Wars Are Coming

Sony Pictures Entertainment has been registering a lot of odd console war domain names.

It's the summer of domain names. Last week it was Ubisoft's mysterious Initiate [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119223-What-is-Assassins-Creed-Initiate]; now Sony Pictures Entertainment has gotten in on the act. No word yet on what the project may be, but every name registered points to a console war premise. The full list is:

console-war.net
console-warmovie.com
console-wars.net
console-warsmovie.com
consolewar-movie.com
consolewar-movie.net
consolewar.net
consolewarmovie.com
consolewars-movie.com
consolewars-movie.net
consolewarsmovie.com
theconsolewar-movie.com
theconsolewar-movie.net
theconsolewar.net
theconsolewarmovie.com
theconsolewars-movie.com
theconsolewars-movie.net
theconsolewarsmovie.com

As it's Sony Pictures Entertainment doing this and not, say, Sony Computer Entertainment, odds favor this being a big or small screen project. Sony Pictures Entertainment has its finger in a lot of pies - comedies, dramas, reality shows and soaps on historical retrospective [http://www.sonypictures.com/tv/] of some kind. However those who wonder whether it's going to be a screwball nerd comedy movie may be closer to the mark. As Sony isn't giving away its secrets, your guess is as good as mine.

Source: Joystiq [http://fusible.com/2012/08/sony-pictures-registers-a-slew-of-console-war-movie-domain-names/]

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Brace yourself.

Console Wars is coming.

That's what came to mind upon reading the title, sue me.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Great. Yet another uninspired movie cash-in on something that doesn't deserve a film. Given Sony's reputation, I doubt this is going to be some sort of documentary, and probably just another mass media monstrosity. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b2pwZYonik]

CLmichaels

Aug 24, 2012
If we're lucky we'll finally get the hyper-realistic war movie about ps3's and xbox's joining forces to take down the evil PC overlords we've all been waiting for. Or was that just me..

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
CLmichaels said:
If we're lucky we'll finally get the hyper-realistic war movie about ps3's and xbox's joining forces to take down the evil PC overlords we've all been waiting for. Or was that just me..
why not all of us coming together to take down jack thompson he could be the final boss or a recurring foe with California government being the major baddie

SlamDunc

Aug 17, 2012
Well I think a documentary about the console wars all the way from the first home systems to today would be quite interesting I don't think Sony (Or Atari, Microsoft, Nintendo, etc) should be the ones making it for bias reasons. I cant really see this turning out in any way that I would really find interesting unless it was a movie about a new company trying to make a console. But it would have to be totally fictional and not like Social Network or Pirates of Silicon Valley. That sort of movie cant be made by the the company it is about or it ends up just being promotion to make you look good.

Captcha: 'Buy some time' I guess I will. How much?

CortexReaver

Jul 19, 2011
I would like to see a movie about the clash of Sony, Sega and Nintendo during the fifth generation, concluded by the fall of Dreamcast and the rise of PlayStation 2. That would be a hell of a movie, if executed as good as The Social Network.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
I'm kinda suspecting this is a lead in to a new ad campaign...

Also, for whatever reason I'm conflating the "make" and "believe" in their splash screen into the compound word now... :\

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
CLmichaels said:
YOU WILL NEVER TAKE US DOWN!!! WE ARE THE MASTER RACE AND WE WILL KILL AND BURN ALL YOU PEASANT CONSOLE PLAYERS! BWAHAHAHAHAHA! FEEL THE WRATH OF MY POWER THAT CAN PLAY GAMES ON ULTRA SUPER DUPER HIGH GRAPHICS!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Foolproof said:
A final boss who hasn't been relevant for 3 years and serves no threat to anyone. What an anticlimactic movie. It's like the Basterds tracking down retired Nazis in nursing homes in 1974.
That's kind of unfair. The Nazis actually accomplished things, so there's some real motive there.

Thompson was pretty much only an influence in his own mind; he'd claim victories that had nothing to do with him.

unstabLized said:
YOU WILL NEVER TAKE US DOWN!!! WE ARE THE MASTER RACE AND WE WILL KILL AND BURN ALL YOU PEASANT CONSOLE PLAYERS! BWAHAHAHAHAHA! FEEL THE WRATH OF MY POWER THAT CAN PLAY GAMES ON ULTRA SUPER DUPER HIGH GRAPHICS!
Oh yeah? Well, FEEL THE WRATH OF A SLEW OF GAMES DESIGNED FOR EIGHT YEAR OLD HARDWARE! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
The Plunk said:
Interesting. Perhaps it'll be a film about Sony's history, a bit like The Social Network.
I was thinking about that. Or it'll be in an alternate universe and it'll be about two mates who each make their own consoles which also creates their own companies that have mad competition (Microsoft VS Sony, Activision VS EA) and how it messes with their relationship.

Or maybe it'd be about sentient consoles fighting. That'd be awesome too.