Battlefield 3: Armored Kill DLC Coming in September

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Battlefield 3: Armored Kill DLC Coming in September

The Armored Kill DLC for Battlefield 3 features four new maps and four separate release dates.

Armored Kill, the latest and (possibly) greatest DLC pack for EA's modern combat shooter Battlefield 3, brings a lot of action to the table. Vehicles are the focus this time around: The expansion will feature four new maps including the biggest map in the history of the franchise, plus five vehicle unlocks for the main game and more than 20 unlocks for the new Armored Kill vehicles, which include tanks, mobile artillery and ATVs. A new "Tank Superiority" game mode will be added, which sounds like a lot of fun, and all of Armored Kill's new maps will be playable with all six game modes.

And here are some screens!

[gallery=878]

When you'll actually be able to jump into the action, however, depends on where you are in the Battlefield 3 hierarchy. The PlayStation 3 version for Battlefield 3 Premium members will arrive on September 4, while BF3 Premium members on Team 360 and PC will have to wait until September 11; non-premium players will have access to the PlayStation 3 release on September 18, and the Xbox 360 and PC versions on September 25. Got that?

Got it or not, I don't really get it. Timed exclusives are ostensibly meant to reward a specific segment of the market, but it seems to me that what it really ends up doing is alienating a much larger portion of gamers that includes "everyone else." This may be a delay of only a week (or two, or three), which is certainly better than the 30 day (or more) waits seen with some other games, but if I found myself on the bottom of that totem pole - which is where I'd be if I played Battlefield 3 - I'd be some annoyed.

In any event, Battlefield 3: Armored Kill will be out in September, and if you want to know more you can find it at battlefield.com [http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/1/armored-kill].

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
Regardless of the "biggest map in the history of the franchise" they still don't hold a candle to Planetside 2. In addition, PS2 is F2P and has been in closed beta for a month or so now (so hopefully will be live before the end of the year). It also plays much more like BF than Planetside 1, so I honestly can't see any reason to get excited about this. Planetside 2 is where it's gonna be!

Check out this picture comparing one of the (previous) largest BF maps to a SINGLE Planetside 2 continent. You see that tiny bit in the bottom right? Yeah... that's the BF map to scale.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
The 1 week exclusive thing is so stupid. It's such a small amount of time in gaming terms that it's completely meaningless. 1 month is decent, 1 week is pointless and easily overlooked.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
GenGenners said:
The 1 week exclusive thing is so stupid. It's such a small amount of time in gaming terms that it's completely meaningless. 1 month is decent, 1 week is pointless and easily overlooked.
Hell I'm still gonna be busy with Borderlands 2 by the time it finally comes out so I have no issues

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
1: Its cOLD in here.

2: Yes, the maps look incredibly awesome.

3: Sony paid for the exclusivity in order to try and keep the PS3 relevant, since the PS3 generally gets slaughtered when it comes to multi-platform games in terms of copies purchased and longevity. However, it doesn't appear to have worked for BF3 - they're still losing tot he PC and 360 by a large margin in terms of overall population (and the DLCs and Premium were also the least popular on PS3.

4: We get it people. You've got a woody for Planetside 2. Yes, its F2P and features really big maps. Its also likely to die fairly quickly, just like Planetside 1, or be so dominated by clans and Pre-Made groups that no one is going to want to play because they can't have any fun anymore. It also remains to see if it can prevented from veering into "Pay-2-Win" territory - something most F2P games have a really hard time staying out of.

Lets not forget its being managed by SOE - whose track record can only be described as "rocky".

Bansta

Aug 25, 2012
I'm wishing to have the expansion installed right now, those maps looks great in addition the AC-130 makes me want down all targets :v

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Now this is more like it. Makes sandboxie seem like a necessary chore now.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I can't wait for this. CQ was a so-so DLC but this looks more like it. Also a snow map! Shades of BF2142.