Curiosity Rover to Aggravate Martians With Pop Music

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Curiosity Rover to Aggravate Martians With Pop Music

The Curiosity rover is going to broadcast will.i.am's Reach for the Stars from the surface of Mars.

NASA's Curiosity rover is currently trundling about the surface of mars, taking holiday snaps, shooting rocks with lasers and generally furthering man's understanding of the red planet and, by extension, the universe. But the common man doesn't care about any of that, oh no. He has only one question: Can it play phat beats? And the answer is yes. Yes it can.

At 4pm EDT, tomorrow, Curiosity will broadcast Reach for the Stars, a new track from rapper, will.i.am. The song, along with a presentation from Curiosity's landing team, will be shown to students at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California.

"I know the sky might be high, but baby it ain't really that high," goes the song. "I know that Mars might be far, but baby it ain't really that far. Let's reach for the stars."

Then professional shouter, Lil Jon, tells you to put your hands up. Twice.

will.i.am is known mostly for his contribution to American hip hop group, The Black Eyed Peas, whose hits include modern classics such as My Humps and The Time (Dirty Bit). His i.am.angel Foundation provides digital resources for classrooms, and he'll be using the event to announce a new technology, engineering arts and mathematics initiative featuring NASA assets, including the Curiosity Rover.

will.i.am's fondness for all things technical isn't undocumented. Back in 2011, Intel appointed him "director of creative innovation," and here he is singing a heart-rending ode to popular file sharing service, Megaupload. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.333470-Megaupload-Suing-Universal-Over-Pulled-YouTube-Video]

Source: NASA [http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2012/aug/HQ_M12-160_will.i.am_Song.html]

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Oh god... if I was an alien species. Hearing a bad Will I am pop song could possibly switch a species from the "Make contact with" to "Exterminate" list.

Let's hope these aliens have horrible taste.

Furism

Sep 10, 2009
Scrustle said:
What? Why? I don't see the point of this.
Because they can.

Which is not to say it's a good idea, because this is a horrible song. Why don't they go for Vivaldi or Mozart or Beethoven?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
More people care about this will i am person than the red planet, I guess.

Mind you, playing Holst's Mars seems more logical, but would result in NASA staff fighting each other.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Great, so we're douchbag neighbours of the solar system, blaring crappy music out full blast from a small car.

Be fantastic if our first contact from alien life is a note asking us to turn the music down.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
From Dark was the Night Cold was the Ground to this...still I can't help thinking Jeff Wayne would have been more appropriate. The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one they said...

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
octafish said:
From Dark was the Night Cold was the Ground to this...still I can't help thinking Jeff Wayne would have been more appropriate. The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one they said...
The chances of anything coming from Mars, are a million to one...but still, they come.

OT: I can't help but agree with the 'douchebag neighbours of the solar system' opinion. If we're gonna blast music...blast something good.

Aug 25, 2009
I'm sorry, did he just commit the song-writing cardinal sin of rhyming a word with the same word? TWICE!

I knew he wasn't exactly a master word smith but come on will. And it's so banal. 'I know the sky is really high, but it's not really that high?' What exactly does that mean? It's really high only it's not? I think will's really high only he's not. I know Mars is really far but it's not that far?

Is he really expecting to charm his lady with meaningless contradictions?

Just all around very disappointed.

Bravo 21

May 11, 2010
And so it begins. We have tired of fighting ourselves, so now: We have bombed our The moon. Now we are engaging in psychological warfare with anything happening to live upon Mars.I can see only one thing coming of this. Retaliation in Kind [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnzuRnKnO7E]

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
Wonderful, NASA, wonderful. Pissing off the Ice Warriors can't possibly go badly.

Why not David Bowie's Life on Mars, you fools?!

Mysten

Sep 28, 2008
DragonsAteMyMarbles said:
Why not David Bowie's Life on Mars, you fools?!
^My first thought upon hearing the news on the radio this morning. I figured Bowie was a given for this sort of thing.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Will.i.am(and the peas for that matter) had one good song, possibly two...neither of which are this one. If NASA was aiming to piss off the wildlife why not play some Justin Bieber and Rebecca Black, it's the quickest way to human contact mainly because they'll have to destroy the rover or else they'll die.