Arr Me Heavy! Steam Be Launchin' Pirate Mods!

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Arr Me Heavy! Steam Be Launchin' Pirate Mods!

Defence of the Ancients 2 is the first to get Steam's Pirate makeover.

This has been coming for a while now; I'm reliably informed (by a passing parrot) that it's one of the signs of the approaching Apocalypse. As this trailer demonstrates, rascally buccaneers have commandeered Defence of the Ancients 2 and given it a Pirate Language makeover. This is an official Steam mod, and it's only the first; Team Fortress 2 will be the next to have its timbers shivered.

You can blame - or praise, depending on your daily rum consumption - Steam's user community for this one, specifically the Steam Translation Server members. Pirate was originally a demo pack, intended to show new members what the technology could achieve. Basically a joke language, it caught on, and now is an actual honest-to-Davy Jones mod.

Warned Steam in its press release, "keep in mind that there are a few, unavoidable issues. Any web-based text can not be replaced, since it is not stored locally. Also the Pirate language pack will revert to English after any DotA 2 update. However, other than that, we consider this to be a complete build."

The language pack can be had via download Mann vs Machine [http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92206181] Steam may be waiting for that to settle in before introducing new stuff.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5938381/steam-games-to-be-translated-intopirate]

Eppy (Bored)

Crazed Organist
Jan 7, 2009
Oh my god, Half Life 2 needs one of these. "Arr, Cap'n Freeman, ye need ta board that thar Combine gunship with yer shoulder gun!"

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
It sounds like we're going to get our own version of Robot Pirate Island in TF2. :p

(Cookie if you get the reference)

Geisterkarle

Dec 27, 2010
I would write some long text what I think about that, but I think it's easier to just say:

ARRRRRRRR

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Demopirate with pirate voice? You have piqued my interest. Do go on Steam.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
scorptatious said:
It sounds like we're going to get our own version of Robot Pirate Island in TF2. :p

This plaque commemorates the brave pirates who gave their lives defending this island from the robot menace.

I want pirate heavy. "Wha' lilly-livered cowa' sends landlubbers to fight?"

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Make this for every game on steam and then take my money. TAKE IT. Oh my god I can only imagine the hilarity.. "ARRRR, DRAGONBORN, THE SWINES BE KILLIN THE LANDLUBBERS IN WHITERUN!"

Steven Vascellaro

Apr 2, 2010
Eppy (Bored) said:
Oh my god, Half Life 2 needs one of these. "Arr, Cap'n Freeman, ye need ta board that thar Combine gunship with yer shoulder gun!"
We have a semi-working build of that, but there is no workshop for HL2 to submit it to. In other words,

"If you want Cap'n Freeman t' command th' insect army by throwin' his chum 'round, ye'll be needin' t' bug Valve t' support pirate an' add it officially."

scorptatious said:

Not only do I understand the Spongebob reference, but some of the Pirate TF2 item descriptions reference that episode.

vallorn said:
Demopirate with pirate voice? You have piqued my interest. Do go on Steam.
I'm afraid we didn't have the budget to hire Gary Schwartz to do Pirate voices for us. Sorry!