Bethesda VP Denies Prey 2 Cancellation Quote

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Bethesda VP Denies Prey 2 Cancellation Quote

Pete Hines of Bethedsa blames a bad translation for erroneous reports that Prey 2 has been canceled.

People looking forward to Prey 2 got a heavy dose of bad news yesterday from Pete Hines, Bethesda's vice president of marketing, who revealed that the publisher had decided to cancel the game rather than continue to pour money into a development situation that just wasn't working out.

"At one point, we looked at Prey 2 and decided that in its current state, with all the money, time, and resources we put into it, it didn't meet our expectations. So we decided to pull the plug from our end," he told IGN. "It was a tough business decision, but at that point it was the right one. It's never a good thing to have to make those choices. It's a shame, but it comes with the territory."

But Hines said what he said to IGN Benelux [http://nl.ign.com/feature/665/Business-As-Usual-Pete-Hines-van-Bethesda], which then translated his comments to Dutch, which were then translated back to English - and that's where the wheels apparently came off. "To clarify, I didn't say Prey 2 was canx. Gave an interview in English, translated to Dutch, translated back to English. #LostInTranslation," Hines later explained on Twitter. "Simply reiterated what we've said previously, which is that it's not coming out this year."

It's worth pointing that denying you said that Prey 2 is canceled isn't the same as denying that Prey 2 is canceled, and there's almost no question that the game is in trouble. Work reportedly no mention [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116867-Rumor-Contract-Dispute-Halted-Prey-2-Development] of Prey 2 to be found. I hope it's not canceled - I really dig what I've seen of it so far, even if there hasn't been much to see - but I'm not feeling particularly optimistic at this point.

Sources: Beefjack [https://twitter.com/DCDeacon]

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
I guess they'll either give it to Id or Arkane after they finish Dishonored. That's me being hopeful...

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
Very convenient translation error. I'm still gonna order myself a stiff drink for when they officially announce it's cancellation.

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
I'm not to sure why people are going nuts over this game, it would be nice if someone explained.

Though while I'm not interested, cancellation of a game usually means loss of a job on the developers part, so I do hope that it isn't cancelled. All that work, for nothing.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
connall said:
I'm not to sure why people are going nuts over this game, it would be nice if someone explained.

Though while I'm not interested, cancellation of a game usually means loss of a job on the developers part, so I do hope that it isn't cancelled. All that work, for nothing.
Because we want a slightly more original title than the shite that passes for product these days? Because some of us actually enjoyed Blade Runner (making a stab in the dark and assuming you didn't in this case) and because some of us want to play the role of a sci-fi bounty hunter in a title with potentially interesting mechanics and plot. Oh and there was a previous game in the series that has a fanbase willing to play a sequel and see the story be continued. That explain this conundrum for you?

OT: Much like The Last Guardian this project looks dangerously close to slipping into a hole in the ground. A fucking shame considering how good it looks. But hey, weirder things have happened, maybe they do intend to release it, maybe even next year. Suppose they just need someone to actually, you know, work on the fucking thing.

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
ScruffyMcBalls said:
connall said:

Because we want a slightly more original title than the shite that passes for product these days? Because some of us actually enjoyed Blade Runner (making a stab in the dark and assuming you didn't in this case) and because some of us want to play the role of a sci-fi bounty hunter in a title with potentially interesting mechanics and plot. Oh and there was a previous game in the series that has a fanbase willing to play a sequel and see the story be continued. That explain this conundrum for you?

OT: Much like The Last Guardian this project looks dangerously close to slipping into a hole in the ground. A fucking shame considering how good it looks. But hey, weirder things have happened, maybe they do intend to release it, maybe even next year. Suppose they just need someone to actually, you know, work on the fucking thing.
Geez sorry.

The gameplay trailer never really grabbed me, I played the first game and loved it but I was unsure how to feel about this game. I haven't seen blade runner, would love to but I feel the hype might ruin it for me.

Also in all honesty (if you are on the PC) there is actually a quite diverse originality culture that you can just ignore the major players now.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
connall said:
ScruffyMcBalls said:
connall said:

Geez sorry.

The gameplay trailer never really grabbed me, I played the first game and loved it but I was unsure how to feel about this game. I haven't seen blade runner, would love to but I feel the hype might ruin it for me.

Also in all honesty (if you are on the PC) there is actually a quite diverse originality culture that you can just ignore the major players now.
If you haven't seen Blade Runner, regardless of the hype machine it's definitely worth a watch. The art style alone is worth sitting through it.