Build a House, Raise a Family in New Skyrim DLC Hearthfire

JoshV

Mar 20, 2009
Build a House, Raise a Family in New Skyrim DLC Hearthfire

There comes a time in every adventurer's life when they set the war hammer down and consider the important questions. Questions like "Is it time to start a family?" and "Can I get away with building a cool enchanter's tower on my new house?" With the new Skyrim DLC Hearthfire, the answer to those questions is "Yes."

[video=6228]

Hearthfire will allow you to purchase plots of land throughout Skyrim and then build and maintain your own homestead. You'll be able to customize the layout of your new home, adding an array of rooms from kitchens to greenhouses. Furniture will also be customizable, and you'll even be able to alter the landscape around your home with additions like fish hatcheries and gardens. And if micromanagement isn't really your style, you can hire a steward to collect materials and furnish the house for you.

When you're done, you can move into your new home with your spouse, and - if the fancy strikes you - even adopt children. You'll also have opportunities to defend your home from threats ranging from pest infestations to enraged giants. I wonder if giant can send a house flying ...

Like Dawnguard before it, Hearthfire will initially be exclusive to the Xbox 360. There's no word yet on a PC or PS3 release. You'll be able to purchase Hearthfire on September 4th for 400 Microsoft Points on Xbox Live.

SlamDunc

Aug 17, 2012
400 MSP? Sold to me. Seems like a pretty good deal for what I am getting here and I do love the game. Also it releases on my Birthday and I am sure I will be getting a points card anyway.

Also, I hope they introduce a way to divorce current spouses. I married on just to try out the system and regret it. Also fix the damn wind sound glitch. I have lost hours of gameplay to that.

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
That's....Pretty darn cheap for a feature like this. I wonder what they're hiding from us. DLC furniture perhaps?

None the less i'm buying it.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
So it's like Fable with good gameplay to back it up? Also I'm wondering just how many people will find some sick and twisted way to mess with the whole adoption thing "Hey there! I killed your parents by setting them on fire! You're my kid now, grab a dagger and help me kill half of skyrim"

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
You know, I am the kind of person who spends hours trying to rearrange everything in the homes I already have. This....I wont be seeing the light of day for a while.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
1. Build bare-bones blockhouse. 2. Decorate it as dungeon like as possible. 3. Adopt every child you can in Skyrim. 4. Keep them all locked up inside. 5. There is no "???" 6. Profit.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Seriously what the hell?! I was fine not buying Skyrim, then I can be a flying vampire. That was awesome but I still wasn't sold, now it does what the Fable games are failing at. I can't explain why but I really dig the whole wife and kids and home shtick in an adventuring game. But... I still can't play the game for one very shallow reason that people will hate me for... I am terrified of the giant spiders in this game. Playing on a mate's PS3 and a giant spider comes at me in first person, shit even if third person and it just horrifies me. Don't no one be posting no pics of spiders now, but it actually stops me from playing Skyrim. I can't just do my Dragon Age tactic of just look away while auto attack takes care of it, plus its easy to guess in Dragon age where a spider will be. I figured "Oh, I'll just avoid caves and stuff."

An open field. An open field and I got a massive one, not even the little baby spiders the big fuck off car sized ones. Bastards. I'm gonna go watch a Familiar of Zero and MLP marathon to release some endorphins, with maybe a little Monty Python.

Evil Alpaca

May 22, 2010
Given that many players were turned into vampires with Dawnguard, this seems like an odd tone shift.

edit: given how people plan to abuse the adoption system in the comments, maybe not.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
- Only 400 microsoft points ($4 dollars) for a nice feature
Actually $5 For americans.
They get 80 points for $1

And Canadians get Cheated and only get 70 Points for $1 So it, and everything else on XBLA, is more expensive.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
WHY IN GOD'S NAME WOULD YOU WANT CHILDREN?
Giant bait. When you are called to save the house send the kids out to taunt it and then come from behind for the kill.

Interesting concept. I may look into this one if I can make Dark Brotherhood/Thieves Guild safe houses.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Evil Alpaca said:
Given that many players were turned into vampires with Dawnguard, this seems like an odd tone shift.
At this rate they'll make a reality show out of it.

"At home with the Dragonborn!"

As for the DLC, I'll buy it once it comes to PC. Glad the timed exclusivity deal with MS is done after this. Least I hope it is. It was for the "First 2" expansions. This counts as an expansion right? RIGHT?

*crosses fingers*

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
fist off, wow that's pretty cheap
second...will we be able to mine for resources next? :p lol

also it'd be awesome to raise children up to young adults to go adventuring with your old self...tho considering the life expectancy rate for NPC followers in Skyrim that may just be kind of brutal

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
Woah, wait. You're serious, aren't you. This isn't a joke?

Because this would be great as a stab at Fable. But you're serious?

...Wow.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
*comes back home from killing a giant dragon, armour drenched in the blood of the gargantuan lizard and some sticky feather of a monster witch*
*endless nights with star sprinkled skies and the deepest halls filled with cobwebs all in recent memory, many skulls and as many miles stomped under your feet*
*stench of the swamps and the underworld still lingers as do the souls of your victims and prey haunt your mind as soon as you close your eyes*
*you remove your helmet, wipe the sweat of your forehead*
- Long days of slaying beasts, bandits, neuromancers and monsters, transforming into a vampire and a werewolf, helping out evil demigods for magical items, crushing the rebellion, pillaging the dead, raising the undead...TIME TO BAKE SOME CUPCAKES!

But seriously, I'm waiting for all those "fill the house with human skulls" people to post new videos on youtube, about how to cremate a Nord, Elf or Argonian in a few easy steps, "No body, no proof, just remember to remove the jewellery and metal objects before incinerating"