Guild Wars 2 Hit 400k Concurrent Users Before Launch

TaylorWilliams

Aug 20, 2012
Guild Wars 2 Hit 400k Concurrent Users Before Launch

Nearly half a million invade Tyria before the borders officially open.

During its recent Headstart Weekend, Guild Wars 2 gave its servers a good workout. Apparently, a really good workout. ArenaNet recently announced that Guild Wars 2 reached over 400,000 concurrent users at some point during the three days prior to the game's actual launch date.

ArenaNet has also revelaed that Guild Wars 2 launched with over one million copies of the game pre-purchased, a number that doesn't even reflect the pre-orders shipping at launch. Those sales don't show signs of slowing either; currently, the game sits atop editions [http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/videogames/229575/ref=amb_link_6857352_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0GC5B2ER5CZTZEV3VZD7&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1343310042&pf_rd_i=229575] populating positions 3 and 5.

"This is the culmination of a five-year journey and to be greeted by this level of enthusiasm by our fans is truly amazing," said Mike O'Brien, president and co-founder of ArenaNet. "But really our work is just beginning. Now our focus is shifting to building on this living world we've delivered, continuously refining our game and improving services to ensure our players have the best possible experience."

Still, hosting so many concurrent users doesn't come without its own share of problems, as multiple reports of login issues have already begun to crop up. ArenaNet is aware, and already working on resolving them. [https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/240480157243174913]

Source: Joystiq [http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/28/guild-wars-2-hits-400k-concurrent-users-before-launch/]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Now if they could just optimize this game... I'd really like to play it on high settings :(

Volstag9

Apr 28, 2008
If you consider this the "launch" then everything has turned out pretty good. I've been forced into overflow quite a few times but the population has been good enough that it hardly matters.

Apr 28, 2008
Balls. Guess I'll have to wait a bit for a free trial then, since free trials generally only happen when numbers start sagging.

Ah well, I can wait.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
I'm just here for the war between Korten and Templar...

OT : I guess this is good? Is it good? What are the figures for similar game launches and all that?

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
This game had one heck of a hype machine. Let's see how long the momentum lasts.

[sub][sub][sub]Go GW2! Kick WoW's ass![/sub][/sub][/sub]

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Fappy said:
Now if they could just optimize this game... I'd really like to play it on high settings :(
And I'd really like to play on low without dipping down to frame-rates < 10fps. My rig is bad but it's not that bad. I've seen people claim to have fixed the problem by reinstalling GPU drivers and such, but those solutions aren't working for me. Hopefully we'll get a patch or driver update soon. I heard those Nvidia users already got one. Bunch of jerks, hehe.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Fappy said:
Hmm... You could try updating your drivers or your network hardware. I'm playing with everything maxed and my rig, though new, is nowhere near "hardcore" hardware.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
2xDouble said:
Fappy said:
Hmm... You could try updating your drivers or your network hardware. I'm playing with everything maxed and my rig, though new, is nowhere near "hardcore" hardware.
Nah the game is CPU limited, the devs admitted it. Which is a pain in the ass for me (NO, 45FPS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE! >:C I get higher on Crysis.) But for the most part, they do seem to be actively fixing it, slowly. Not a lot can be done until new drives come out and the game gets updated.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Elate said:
2xDouble said:
Fappy said:
Nah the game is CPU limited, the devs admitted it. Which is a pain in the ass for me (NO, 45FPS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE! >:C I get higher on Crysis.) But for the most part, they do seem to be actively fixing it, slowly. Not a lot can be done until new drives come out and the game gets updated.
It was CPU-limited... for those two Beta/stress tests last month. It wasn't in the last three, nor is it now, according to dev posts on GW2 Guru [http://www.guildwars2guru.com/]. If you have current information saying otherwise, I'd be very interested in reading it.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I'm kind of torn. On the one hand I really want to give this game a try before I buy it. Last time around I sampled Guild Wars during their free beta weekend and was sold, but this time around I missed it. So I'm going to have to wait a while before a trial version of some sort comes out. On the other hand, while I'm normally perfectly happy waiting I find any online game far more enjoyable when they're brand new, before the community has everything figured out and documented.

if_then_else

Apr 28, 2005
Acrisius said:
Irridium said:
Balls. Guess I'll have to wait a bit for a free trial then, since free trials generally only happen when numbers start sagging.

Ah well, I can wait.
You want a free trial for the Free to Play one-purchase game..? :S
Actually, the first Guild Wars had a trial version even though it was also buy-to-play, they gave trial keys to players to give them away to whoever they wanted, I got mine that way through a GW forum (I didn't end up playing it, didn't really liked it).

OT: I am one of the 400k! :D

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
synobal said:
Does Guild Wars operate on a single shard like Eve Online?
No there is servers, but zones have 'overflows' which are cross-server.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
synobal said:
Does Guild Wars operate on a single shard like Eve Online?
The entire game is divided into servers, some stationed in the US, some in Europe (Many of which have local language restrictions to facilitate community). This structure allows for the MMORTS-style combat known as WvW, wherein three different servers are pitted against each other to control a map and defeat the others every two weeks.

Each zone has multiple districts, referred to as "overflow servers", to reduce lag and optimize performance. You can, however, jump to any local "shard" at any time as long as there is a member of your party there.

There is also (coming soon) a Guesting system wherein you can play on any server any time.

Server selection does not restrict communication, PvP options (with some exceptions involving WvW, and server guesting/switching), or Guild membership.