Kim Dotcom Will Create a New Megaupload

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
Kim Dotcom Will Create a New Megaupload

The Megaupload founder is building a new massive global network that will "turn this world upside down".

Kim Dotcom may have lost the company that was once responsible for 4% of all internet traffic, but that hasn't stopped him from preparing an alternative to his seized file hosting empire. Dotcom has provided details on what to expect from the next version of Megaupload, promising a network that will be bigger, better, and faster than before.

The former internet mogul stated on his Twitter account that he was "building a massive global network" that would be more open than the previous one, specifying that "all non-US hosters" shall be given the ability to connect servers and add bandwidth to the upcoming solution.

Dotcom also mentioned the network's new API, calling out to any interested developers. "The Mega API will provide incredible powers. Our API and your Mega tools will change the world," he said. Dotcom also reached out to people involved in email and fax tools, VOIP, and video applications so he could provide them with early API access, suggesting that the scope of the Mega network would expand beyond file sharing.

In addition, Dotcom made promises that the new Mega service will provide one-click encryption to all data transfers on the fly, be easy to use, free of charge, and ensure "total privacy".

"They abused the wrong guy," he concluded. "I am going to turn this world upside down. Power to the people. Bye bye Echelon. Hello Freedom."

The original Mega network was following comments against the US [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115362-UPDATE-Feds-Take-Down-Megaupload].

More details on the proposed global network are yet to appear; as for now, it's clear that Dotcom is not willing to give up his empire just yet.

Source: Torrentfreak [http://torrentfreak.com/new-megaupload-will-be-massive-global-network-to-change-the-world-120828/]

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I wish him luck. I'm sick of the US making its laws affect the world.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
"I am going to turn the world upside down"

Alright, show of hands, who else read this and added a maniacal laugh at the end?

Much like this one:

Back on topic, good for him, I may not like the guy, but anyone who goes through a bloody SWAT team raid (Or rather, New Zealand's equivalent) and decides, "Screw that, I'm going to keep doing this," has bigger kahones than I do.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
A new massive global network that will "turn this world upside down".
Don't look so smug. I know what you're thinking, but Megaupload was merely a setback![sub]Sorry. I couldn't help it.[/sub]

That was an old one. Time to put it back on the shelf though.

MU was a convenient place to download old patches etc, so I'll be glad of another potential host for what would otherwise be lost.

greenice

Apr 7, 2010
Cool, I wish him the best of luck, really he provided a great service and it only looks to be getting better.I wonder if he's still gonna do the MegaMusic thing, seemed pretty cool.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I don't really understand what this new thing will be. Just another torrent hosting site but with new features? I don't get it.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Finally, do you know how SLOW Rapidshare got? 30 kbps does not a happy EHKOS make.

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
Hopefully he's a trailblazer to the future of the internet, where people stop using US servers. Time to show the world that America isn't in control of the internet and can't bully whoever they want.

Captcha: Fezes are cool. Yeah they are!

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
Scrustle said:
I don't really understand what this new thing will be. Just another torrent hosting site but with new features? I don't get it.
Mostly it being entirely outside the US so our laws can't affect it. So yea looking forward to having a storage site I can use without being subjected to cavity searches and intimidation from various agencies and lawyers.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
albino boo said:
Hmm convicted fraudster and has a nice new scheme which he wants investors money.
Hey hey, that's alleged of laundering and fraud. No convictions so far. As far as I know at least.

razor343

Sep 29, 2010
Oh dear, this has the potential to be a gigantic 'Fuck You' towards the US Government and companieswhichareclearlygoingbankruptbecausepeoplearesharingmusicwiththeirfriends. We're not all pirates.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
albino boo said:
Hmm convicted fraudster and has a nice new scheme which he wants investors money.
Hey hey, that's alleged of laundering and fraud. No convictions so far. As far as I know at least.
In 1994 Kim Dotcom was convicted of using stolen and selling credit cards numbers. In 2003 Dotcom was convicted of Germanys largest insider trading case and also pleaded guilty embezzlement. He was also thrown out of Hong Kong for trying to start a hedgefund without a proper license. So to be blunt, Dotcom has a 20 year criminal history of fraud.