Professor Layton Retires Next Year

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Professor Layton Retires Next Year

Nintendo has announced the next (and last) Professor Layton title.

Professor Layton will reportedly have his conclusive adventure on the 3DS next year, according to developer Level-5. His final appearance will be in the recently announced Professor Layton Choubunmei to A no Isan, set for a Japanese 3DS launch at some point in 2013.

During a Nintendo Direct video feed on August 29th, Level-5 CEO Akihiro Hino stated that this will be the Professor's "last adventure". Whether this means the end of the character or the series as a whole remains unclear. It's likely that franchise could live on in spin-off form, much like Phoenix Wright series.

Brief clips of the game were shown, revealing numerous series staples; players can expect branching map paths with lots of puzzles standing in their way. Throughout the demonstration, supernatural occurrences appeared (on-screen, of course), hinting at a mind-bending plot worthy of the series. Perhaps most importantly, we'll get to see the series signature 2D art style rendered in the 3DS's stereoscopic vision.

There is no word yet on an English-language release date.

Source: <a href=http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/3DS/Professor+Layton+Choubunmei+to+A+no+Isan/news.asp?c=44517>PocketGamer

jackpackage200

Jul 4, 2011
While I am sad to see the franchise go, I am impressed that they intend to end the series instead of making rehashed sequels.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Oh what? Ok sure it's better that they end it before they milk anymore games of to the point that it get repatitive and running out of ideas or when Layton get too old but I would like to see maybe a couple more games!

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Uhhh, Wright is owned by Capcom, not level-5.

If level-5 owned it, we'd have AAI2 in America already.

alik44

Sep 11, 2010
i am glad to see Nintendo end the series instead of milking it like others but you could have squeezed out at least 2-3 more squeals before ending it.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I guess I am sad to see the series end, but if they can manage to end the series with a great game then I am all for it. I have loved all the Professor Layton games. I just hope they will give us a proper conclusion and ends thing with the feeling that anything can happen afterwards.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
Wow ... This is the first time I'm torn between "Give us yearly rehashes, I don't care!" and "Thank god you end it before it gets repetitive." ...
At any rate *sadface* A great franchise coming to an end.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I haven't seen the Nintendo Direct conference today so I'm just going to put this out there (and probably look like a moron) but what are the odds of this being a mistranslation or, misunderstanding? Professor Layton isn't on Mario's level but I'm sure it isn't unpopular enough to completely axe the series. I like the idea of there being spin-offs though so only time will tell.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Why do I smell a Sherlock Holmes here? (You know, where the guy said he was done writing it, and then later on, enough pressure made him continue the series)

Professor Layton; the Next Sherlock Holmes!

Sad to see it end though.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Shoggoth2588 said:
I haven't seen the Nintendo Direct conference today so I'm just going to put this out there (and probably look like a moron) but what are the odds of this being a mistranslation or, misunderstanding? Professor Layton isn't on Mario's level but I'm sure it isn't unpopular enough to completely axe the series. I like the idea of there being spin-offs though so only time will tell.
No, that's a direct quote. It's not the end of a series, though, probably just the end of a character.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Eh, I think it's a good time for the professor to hang up his hat. He's had a lot of adventures already, and one man can only handle so much breaking of the laws of physics before going bonkers.

don paolo's disguises already give me nightmares