Rare Blue Moon Rises This Week

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Rare Blue Moon Rises This Week

This Friday, the common metaphor becomes a reality.

Astronomers, amateur skywatchers and other interested persons should pay close attention to the sky tomorrow as a "blue moon" will appear for the first time in three years. It will reach its full phase starting at 9:58 a.m. EST. If you miss it, you'll have to wait until July 2015 to catch another glimpse.

As these things tend to go, the "once in a blue moon" metaphor is a bit misleading. First, blue moons are neither blue nor incredibly rare. They occur about once every 2.7 years and look just like every other full moon you've seen.

The moon that rises this Friday will still be the same rock we've had for a few billion years now. However, it is possible for it to appear blue, assuming there's a lot of ash or dust in the air. But barring any volcano or massive forest fires, the moon will shine as pale as ever.

Though the definition has changed over time, today we call the second full moon in any given month a blue moon. Because the moon orbits the Earth in 29.5 days and most months are either 30 or 31 days long, a second full moon occasionally occurs in the same month.

Source: Mashable
Image: NASA

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
Aw, I thought the moon would actually look blue. I guess I'm just silly.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
Would massive amounts of smog do the trick (instead of dust or smoke)?
I so, I am "lucky" to live in Toronto

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
So it won't really appear blue? Nerts.

Don't think I'd be able to see it anyway, since I live in Brooklyn and most likely I'll still be asleep at that point.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
As long as we are talking about the moon, we may as well yell at it.
<youtube=adz4rbKSsDI>

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Why would you redefine a blue moon to be a second full moon in the same month, instead of an actually apparent blue moon?