Black Ops 2 Drops Windows XP

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Black Ops 2 Drops Windows XP

Treyarch has revealed the minimum system requirements for the PC version of Black Ops 2, and Windows XP didn't make the cut.

Are you actually still running Windows XP? It was a great operating system, certainly far superior to its successor, Windows Vista, but come on. It's been almost 11 years since it hit the market, and more than four years since the last service pack was released. And Windows 7, while it packs a grotesque price tag, actually works really well. Trust me, it's solid, and as good as XP was, it's time to let it go.

And if you want to play the upcoming Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 on your PC - and why would you want to play it on anything else? - then you're going to have to. "Since we upgraded the engine to use DirectX 11, Windows XP is no longer supported," Treyarch said in a blog post about the requirements and enhancements in the PC version of the game. "It requires Windows Vista or later."

Aside from the "Vista or later" requirement - which, for the record, means "not Vista" - you'll also need the following if you want to make this piggy squeal:

CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E8200 2.66 GHz or AMD Phenom X3 8750 2.4 GHz
Memory: 2GB for 32-bit OS or 4GB for 64-bit OS
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 512 MB or ATI Radeon HD 3870 512 MB

They're not super-steep requirements, but bear in mind that this is a minimum spec, so you can't expect anything more than a borderline experience if you play the game with this kind of iron. (And seriously, if you're still rocking two gig of RAM, skip the game and buy yourself an upgrade instead.) Hotter hardware naturally means a better-looking game, and the PC version of Black Ops 2 will serve up enhanced lighting, shadows, antialiasing, bloom, depth of field, ambient occlusion "and other enhanced effects that are still in the works," and of course will be capable of rocking the casbah at higher resolutions and framerates than the console releases.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Xbox-360/dp/B007XVTR3K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1346794644&sr=8-3&keywords=Black+Ops+2] comes out on November 13 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii U and PC.

Source: Call of Duty Blog [http://community.callofduty.com/community/call_of_duty/english/black_ops_2/blog/tags/call_of_duty_black_ops_2]

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Well, the logic is understandable, given the DX division. I think everyone knew the day would come when from gaming aspects the OS would cease to be supported. So its not really surprising.

However, simple fact is even if it IS an 11 year old OS, portraying people as luddites(even if done so out of an attempt at a humorous context) for not making the switch from what is still the most popular and widely used version of a microsoft OS is fairly brash and uncalled for. The OS still has life in it, and if people do not wish to upgrade at this time, (till say 7 comes off that grotesquely overpriced barrier) they should not be made to feel guilty, when it is perfectly logical to skip this PC release in favor of console, and continue using XP to play other new and incoming games.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Aside from Windows 98, Windows XP remains the greatest MS operating system imo. There's absolutely no reason to upgrade! Yeah Windows 7 works, but it's just not the same...

So COD has reached that magical level of "so many sequels no one cares" that it's one reportable feature is the graphical quality, huh? Brilliant.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Nice to see everyone has put what happened last time Treyarch ported a CoD game to PC behind them. I mean after 2 years a development studio thats completely devoid of both freedom and creative thought must have come up with a solution, right?

Evil Smurf said:
So why not buy Bastion instead of bang bang shooty: 12?
Because for some inexplicable reason people prefer bang bang shooty: 12 to having your ears cleaned out by the richness of the narrator's voice in Bastion.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I dunno, even Vista was a warm hug from Jesus compared to the festering tumor that was Windows ME.

But yeah, Microsoft isn't going to be supporting XP much longer either. Time marches on....

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
I've been running Vista on my computer for 4 years, and I honestly don't understand what everyone is so damn smug about.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I meet all the system requirements except I have windows XP :(
Is it possible someone could mod it to work on XP?

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Xan Krieger said:
I meet all the system requirements except I have windows XP :(
Is it possible someone could mod it to work on XP?
There'll be a Directx9 call interceptor, or a mod, or an .ini tweak or something. That's the magic of the PC. It's users will always add something or fix something else if the out of box experience isn't adequate.

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
And what if I have both XP Pro AND Win 7?

Eh, even if I didn't have 7, I'd upgrade to it for a better reason than to play a modern Call of Duty instalment.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Was someone really expecting to play it on XP?

Fr said:
anc[is]I've been running Vista on my computer for 4 years, and I honestly don't understand what everyone is so damn smug about.
I used Vista for a while and I thought that too until I started using 7. Vista is not bad if you have a good enough computer, but Win7 is better.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
And if you want to play the upcoming Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 on your PC - and why would you want to play it on anything else?
Well that depends if they bother to put in an FOV slider this time so people don't feel nauseous when they play.

OT: Not really surprising, you can't expect it to be supported forever. I bet some people would be complaining if it didn't use DX11. People need to move on.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Fr said:
anc[is]I've been running Vista on my computer for 4 years, and I honestly don't understand what everyone is so damn smug about.
It's about as unstable as a cat in the Pacific Ocean, from my experiences. I could keep going, but it oddly played my games well...

OT- No thanks, Treyarch, I'll be playing Dishonored and enjoying graphics other than dirt brown and gunmetal gray. Farewell XP, you have been a loyal servant for us "serious" PC users. [sub]Even though I preferred 2000 Professional.[/sub]

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
No mention of Vsync? That's one of the most important things in my opinion.

Oh who am I kidding, I don't play FPS games on my PC besides VAC supported games. I can't stand aim bots and all that shit.