FBI, Apple Deny AntiSec Hack

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
FBI, Apple Deny AntiSec Hack

Apple says it didn't give the FBI any UDID information, and the FBI says AntiSec hackers lied about taking it.

Hacking group AntiSec made the startling claim [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119432-Hackers-Swipe-12-Million-Apple-Device-Codes-From-the-FBI] yesterday that it had accessed more than 12 million "unique device identifiers" attached to Apple iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches, plus assorted other bits of personal information, from a hacked FBI laptop. The questions that followed were many: How did AntiSec hack an FBI computer? Why did the FBI have this information, and how did it get it? Is Apple somehow complicit in widespread domestic spying scheme? It's the kind of stuff that a paranoiac's dreams are made of, except that it's (maybe) actually happening.

Not long after the AntiSec claims came to light, however, the FBI said that it had no knowledge of the incident, or even that it was ever in possession of the data. "The FBI is aware of published reports alleging that an FBI laptop was compromised and private data regarding Apple UDIDs was exposed," an FBI spokesperson said. "At this time there is no evidence indicating that an FBI laptop was compromised or that the FBI either sought or obtained this data."

The FBI Press Office on Twitter [https://twitter.com/FBIPressOffice/status/243089221529763840] was a little more unequivocal, stating, "We never had info in question. Bottom line: TOTALLY FALSE."

Totally false or not, Apple followed up with a statement of its own saying that if the FBI did have the information in question, it didn't get it from them. "The FBI has not requested this information from Apple, nor have we provided it to the FBI or any organization," an Apple rep said. "Additionally, with iOS 6 we introduced a new set of APIs meant to replace the use of the UDID and will soon be banning the use of UDID."

But AntiSec was quick to fire back, insisting that the breach was real and writing, "Also, before you deny too much: Remember we're sitting on 3TB additional data. We have not even started." The group indicated that further data dumps were on the way and added, "The fact that the FBI has no 'evidence' of a data breach on one of their notebooks, does not allow the conclusion that it never happened." I would never presume to accuse the world's foremost domestic intelligence agency of being not entirely forthcoming with the truth, but I suspect we haven't heard the last of this just yet.

Source: AllThingsD [http://allthingsd.com/20120905/apple-we-didnt-give-fbi-any-device-ids/]

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
I'm almost hoping AntiSec can back up their claim - the ensuing shitstorm would be a thing of legend. It's one thing to have an embarrassing leak of questionable data, but to get burnt on denying it? Ouch.

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
How many embarrassments before the FBI sends out hit-squads?

Or were the X-files fake? I never could tell...

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
Kargathia said:
I'm almost hoping AntiSec can back up their claim - the ensuing shitstorm would be a thing of legend. It's one thing to have an embarrassing leak of questionable data, but to get burnt on denying it? Ouch.
Oh my god, I know, right? :D
I'm gonna be watching the Escapist's coverage of this like a hawk!

Jjtricky

Apr 9, 2009
If they copied the Gary Powers incident, then I am VERY impressed.

Basically, the USSR captured a US pilot, releasing VERY little info. The US obviously denied it, but then the USSR brought "new" evidence that proved it was the US.

Popcorn time!

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
All I can think about these situations are, how utterly void of any entertainment or social stimuli are these people, that they can spend their lives fucking with random people on the internet, and coming away from it thinking it means something?

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
While it's certainly possible that the FBI and/or Apple are lying, I'm betting they're not. AntiSec talks a good talk, and they can walk a good walk, but they're just as likely to make something up because it's Tuesday.

Or the FBI's planning a hit that they believe will successfully get the data back.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
One party denies accountability, while the other party taunts potentially releasing more of our personal information as farther proof of their work. There is no good that will come from this.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
I'm am usually the first one to express my disdain and irritation towards anything from Anonymous, but for once I am behind them (if this is actually true) because of the way they handled it. When I first read the story on EscapistMagazine.com (my favorite website) it came across as a group of hackers who simply said "Hey guys, we found this. We think you should know about it." No DDoS, no "hacktivism" no anything I usuall associate with anon.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Kargathia said:
Isn't that what happened to Sony last summer?

P.S. Thanks

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
"Also, before you deny too much: Remember we're sitting on 3TB additional data. We have not even started. The fact that the FBI has no 'evidence' of a data breach on one of their notebooks, does not allow the conclusion that it never happened."
3TB of additional Data from a FBI laptop? Keep blowing hot-air out of your ass until you got something substantial. You don't have to talk to anyone in the US Govt. to know they most money they pop into their hardware is clipping copper for security.

These guys don't have anything. If they actually have a list of UDID's, they probably got it from Apple.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Covarr said:
Kargathia said:
Isn't that what happened to Sony last summer?

P.S. Thanks
At least Sony lost data that they were expected and supposed to have. This would tarnish the FBI for having the data, and Apple for having handed it to them.

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
I don't have any factual basis for saying this, just a gut feeling, but this whole thing just screams Apple and the FBI being full of crap.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Kargathia said:
It may just be my inner conspiracy theorist talking, but it seems to me that Antisec wouldn't be so explicit in their rebuttal unless they could really back it up. Why would you decide to pick a fight with the FBI unless you really did have some concrete ammunition on your side. To try and call their bluff over nothing would just be stupid beyond belief.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
BeerTent said:
Andy Chalk said:
"Also, before you deny too much: Remember we're sitting on 3TB additional data. We have not even started. The fact that the FBI has no 'evidence' of a data breach on one of their notebooks, does not allow the conclusion that it never happened."
3TB of additional Data from a FBI laptop? Keep blowing hot-air out of your ass until you got something substantial. You don't have to talk to anyone in the US Govt. to know they most money they pop into their hardware is clipping copper for security.

These guys don't have anything. If they actually have a list of UDID's, they probably got it from Apple.
That's the line that got me, too. I'm not quite an expert, but I'd imagine data this sensitive would be directly stored and accessed from a secure server. And if a laptop did have personal information on it, 3TB is an awfully large number.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
NinjaDeathSlap said:
To try and call their bluff over nothing would just be stupid beyond belief.
This is another xxxSec we're talking about - a loose anonymous collection of people whom we know nothing more about than that they're capable of somehow procuring data. "Stupid beyond belief" certainly is still within the ballpark of reasonable assumptions.

Lvl 64 Klutz said:
That's the line that got me, too. I'm not quite an expert, but I'd imagine data this sensitive would be directly stored and accessed from a secure server. And if a laptop did have personal information on it, 3TB is an awfully large number.
It should be - and usually it indeed works that way - but there's always the exception. Remember Sony not even having a firewall to protect PSN account info?

On the whole we really can't do anything but wait for the alleged proof.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
BeerTent said:
Andy Chalk said:

Hm, thanks for pointing that out. I missed that completely. Unless they used credentials from the laptop to get into a server or something, this is almost certainly BS.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Meanwhile the FBI is frantically searching for the hackers in order to cover thier own asses as needed.

But seriously, you dont get to taunt the FBI with shit like this without some form of retribution form them.

Also 3TB from a laptop? Either the Feds get shit from our dreams or they have some absurd compression program going.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
gigastar said:
Meanwhile the FBI is frantically searching for the hackers in order to cover thier own asses as needed.

But seriously, you dont get to taunt the FBI with shit like this without some form of retribution form them.

Also 3TB from a laptop? Either the Feds get shit from our dreams or they have some absurd compression program going.
My guess is that (assuming this is all true) the laptop had the ability to access at least 3TB of data; this is easy to do with external storage, whether attached directly or through a network.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Dear God,

Please, let Anti-Sec be full of S***.

Be with us and your people, my Lord.

AMEN