Half-Minute Hero Rushes to Steam

Jeremy Wilkinson

Behatted Physicist
Jun 14, 2012
Half-Minute Hero Rushes to Steam

PC gamers will soon have their 30-second chance to save the world.

The fastest-moving RPG of all time will soon be making its way to PCs. Boasting the largest amount of content and the longest title in the series so far, Half-Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy is the second port of the thirty-second adventure following its PSP and Xbox Live Arcade releases.

The idea behind Half-Minute Hero is simple: you are a hero who must rescue the world from imminent destruction, and you have only thirty seconds in which to do it. You are joined by the Time Goddess, who can turn back the clock (for a price) and must use your wits to save the day as quickly as possible in each mission.

The PC edition of Half-Minute Hero will be the most complete version yet, containing everything from the PSP and Xbox releases. First and foremost, it includes the extra game modes "Princess 30", "Knight 30" and "Evil Lord 30", each of which change the play style significantly. Princess 30 is essentially a top-down shooter, Knight 30 tasks the player with protecting a sage for 30 seconds, and Evil Lord 30 is a dungeon-based RTS. These were all available in the original PSP game with 30 missions each, but were cut down to single missions in the Xbox release. Players will also be able to choose between the game's original 8-bit style or the remixed Xbox graphics, and will have access to the five-minute long "Hero 300" mode, the final chapter from the Xbox version.

Costing $9.99, Half-Minute Hero will appear on Steam and Playism on Thursday, September 27 at 1pm EDT precisely. To mark the release, publisher Marvelous AQ is planning a fitting promotion, which it claims will be the shortest marketing campaign in videogaming history. For exactly thirty seconds after launch, the company will give away free Steam download codes through the game's Twitter feed [http://www.halfminutehero.com], and the fastest few heroes will a free copy of the full game. There will also be two further opportunities to claim a copy on September 28, at 11am and 1pm EDT.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/06/half-minute-hero-speeds-onto-steam-september-27]

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I'll definitely get this. I had wanted to pick it up for the PSP...but then I lost my PSP! Bummer. But this is a good alternative.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Very fun game on PsP, certainly worth the purchase. Go get it people!

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
I was interested in this when I first heard about it on PSP, but since I don't have a PSP, it was not an option. This has been added to my games to buy list.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Okay, now there is officially NO reason for anyone who has not played this not to do so. Half-Minute Hero is excellent, probably in my top ten RPGs ever.

Might just pick up the PC release, even though I own the PSP version.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
They must have stolen that name from my girlfriend, she uses that phrase constantly.

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
I am currently waiting for this one. Can't wait to play it. I have yet to play it but the setting and what it brings to the table are what I like about it.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
so i presume there site will go down for about 30 seconds just when this is released huh? Calling it now,.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
ohnoitsabear said:
I was interested in this when I first heard about it on PSP, but since I don't have a PSP, it was not an option. This has been added to my games to buy list.
Same here. It's one of the few games that's ever made me wish I knew someone with a PSP so I could play it. I never expected it to get a PC release, because a lot of Japanese developers seem to be almost oblivious to the platform's existence, but I'm pretty happy that things like this are starting to show up a bit more often these days.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
my 99 cents will only buy me 30 seconds of game time? is it worth it?

kanbabrif

Aug 30, 2011
Umm, guys? The name is just the game's gimmick. It's not EXACTLY half a minute long.

It's basically a puzzle/time management game wrapped in a JRPG. Highly recommended.

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
I bought this game from a bargain bin a few years ago, i even noted it inside one of my Escapist topics [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.257539-Unsuspected-Gems?page=1] i made, although i basically played it to death...i really hope that it eventually leads to the 2nd game coming outside of Japan!

Did they even state how many steam codes they were handing out during the 30 seconds....or is it going to be something astronomical within the theme of 30 seconds that starts with a 3 and ends with a 0 to represent something as small as a Nanosecond or something.

I know they're not the same Dev, but they need to get a hop on Gurumin next, even if the PSP version was distinctively different than the JP-only PC version.

EDIT: Added link to the original topic i was talking about, which also had a bit of footage and information about 3 of the Basic character Modes. (no Sage...or Knight or whatever the protection one is called....and some Patapon)

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Man, I'm excited, this game is ridiculous fun and it even has extra modes, which is awesome. Can't wait.

blaze2142

May 27, 2008
Well this is going to be the third time that im going to buy this game.

Also does anyone know if its going to have the vallhalla knights mission that was on the psp version or the different ending that was on the 360 version?