Xbox Live Avatars Getting Third-Party Items In 2009

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Xbox Live Avatars Getting Third-Party Items In 2009

The future of Xbox Live [http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/]'s avatar system looks bright, with Microsoft revealing that avatars will support deeper integration in games and sport items designed by third-parties like special outfits and more in the coming year, all potentially for free.

The landscape of avatars in the New Xbox Experience is admittedly a tad homogenous. Sure, you've got your quirky facepaint options and a silly hat here and there to stick on your virtual self, but for the most part a scan of the avatars on the average friends list gives the impression of what it would be like if The Gap decided to build an ad campaign entirely using Miis. Where are the options for dressing up Avatars like complete fools, or, better, expressing the rampant fandom that beats within the heart of any passionate gamer? They're coming, according to Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg.

"We've just handed off all the code to developers so they can not only integrate avatars into their games, but they can also have things like unlockable content, special outfits and things like that, so game assets can be integrated into avatars," Greenberg revealed in an interview [http://www.edge-online.com/features/forging-ahead-with-xbox-live] with EDGE. "As gamers, we definitely want to integrate our favorite game characters. I think that's the kind of stuff you should expect this coming year."

Sounds like Ryu headband [http://www.littlebigplanet.com/] on a custom character.

Though the idea of microtransactions naturally looms over this kind of announcement, Greenberg is quick to assert that isn't Microsoft's philosophy when it comes to avatars. "We didn't create avatars so we could sell people clothes," Greenberg explained. "Who knows what will happen in the future, but for now, all of the gear, all of the clothing is free. And if developers have unlockable content in games, you're not going to be charged for that." Let's hope Microsoft stays true to Greenberg's promise - nobody wants to pay for silly accessories.

Greenberg also commented on the future of digital distribution for Microsoft, perhaps lending some credibility to Fable 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88041-Fable-2-Digital-Release-On-The-Way]
would be seeing a full digital release. "How fast [full-game downloads] happens, who knows? We're definitely paying attention to it," Greenberg said. "We don't have anything specific to announce today, but it's something we're watching for sure."

Retodon8

Jun 25, 2008
It's too bad there aren't "hand" slots so your Avatar can carry something.
Thinking about video game themed stuff, make-up, rings, watches, etc., are all useless.

I can see clothing (shirt with game logo, but preferably an outfit an in-game character actually wears), shoes, and hats (master chief helmet for instance), but carrying some kind of trademark attribute would/should enhance this kind of thing even more.
Then again MS already said no weapons, and something like a Gears of War Lancer would be an obvious, though unavailable, choice.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Retodon8 said:
Maybe they'll model a 'ring' or 'glove' in such a way that it LOOKS like you're holding a sword or something?

Besides, they gave out the code! Perhaps this means developers can come up with new poses, clothing slots, and other such awesome goodies!

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
Free... My arse the content will be, they wont even let strong free content believing company valve make the update free.

Lance Icarus

Oct 12, 2007
I was just saying the other day that they should let you put specific game items on your avatars. It'll be an actual reward for certain achievements other than just gamer points. Wouldn't it be nice to have an avatar wearing something that can only be gained from beating a tough game on the highest difficulty? Talk about showing off.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
I've always wished I could give my guy a simple pistol, he would look more like I wish he did: a mercenary based off me (he kind of does now).

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
Retodon8 said:
Thinking about video game themed stuff, make-up, rings, watches, etc., are all useless.

I can see clothing (shirt with game logo, but preferably an outfit an in-game character actually wears), shoes, and hats (master chief helmet for instance), but carrying some kind of trademark attribute would/should enhance this kind of thing even more.
Then again MS already said no weapons, and something like a Gears of War Lancer would be an obvious, though unavailable, choice.
I wonder how long it'll take before they realize that? Probably not too long if you ask me. Microsoft seems like they're pretty much on the ball with the whole avatar thing.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
This seems like a logical progression of avatars. Just as avatars where a logical progression of profile pictures. Maybe in the future Microsoft will make some kind of virtual chat room where friends can talk using their avatars. Then, after that, they'll give you your own virtual space that you can decorate, and entertain your friends by showing videos, comparing achievements and play mini games together. That seems like a logical progression. I have a feeling that logical progression is a code word for "you're idea isn't original enough to copyright so we'll steal it".

Shellsh0cker

Defender of the English Language
Oct 22, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
This seems like a logical progression of avatars. Just as avatars where a logical progression of profile pictures. Maybe in the future Microsoft will make some kind of virtual chat room where friends can talk using their avatars. Then, after that, they'll give you your own virtual space that you can decorate, and entertain your friends by showing videos, comparing achievements and play mini games together. That seems like a logical progression. I have a feeling that logical progression is a code word for "you're idea isn't original enough to copyright so we'll steal it".
I like the way you made a completely valid point while at the same time mocking Microsoft. Good show.

Retodon8 said:

No weapons? Really? Damn, like you said, a Lancer or something would be really cool. Ah well.

Anyway, yeah, not surprised at all; it's a good way for them to save money, not violate copyright, and other stuff.

Sir_Montague

Oct 6, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
Free... My arse the content will be, they wont even let strong free content believing company valve make the update free.
Agreed! When the TF2 update comes out on the 360, I'll believe that avatar content will remain somewhat consistently free in the future

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Sir_Montague said:
sirdanrhodes said:
Agreed! When the TF2 update comes out on the 360, I'll believe that avatar content will remain somewhat consistently free in the future
They've announced already that there will be free avatar content coming over the next six months. They also have said that it's possible for game developers to link avatar content to Achievements, so we could see that come into play in the near future too.

*shrug* I guess I'll wait and see before picking up a pitchfork and torch, myself.

-- Steve

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
harhol said:
thenumberthirteen said:

Ha ha ha. Best post I've read on here in weeks.
I think i've hit on Microsoft's business plan. It's a good one, let everyone else come up with good ideas and then steal them. I'm keeping one eye open as i sleep for fear of Microsoft's LawyerAssassins?.