11-Yr-Old Girl Saves Baby Bird From Cat, Mom Gets $535 Fine

Odd Water

Mar 6, 2010
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/mom-slapped-with-fine-after-daughter-saves-baby-bird/

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act makes it illegal for anyone to take, possess, import, export, transport, sell, purchase, barter, or offer for sale, purchase, or barter, any migratory bird, or the parts, nests, or eggs of such a bird except under the terms of a valid permit issued pursuant to Federal regulations.

Today?s shining example of ?No Good Deed Goes Unpunished? comes from Fredericksburg, VA, where a young girl prevented the family cat from pouncing on a lost baby woodpecker and her mom ended up with a $535 ticket (and faces the possibility of jail time) for violating the Federal Migratory Bird Act.

Despite the fact that 11-year-old Skylar Capo actually saved the tiny lost woodpecker from a violent death, and then successfully released the bird back into the wild, a Virginia State Trooper was still dispatched to the Capo home where Skylar?s mom was slapped with the $535 ticket.

EDIT!

Sorry, seems I jumped at a silly and stupid story too fast. Seems the authority involved changed their minds and took back the fine in question. For good reason or because it was given them too much bad press we may never know.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/update-535-fine-rescinded-in-baby-bird-rescue/

Update: $535 Fine Rescinded In Baby Bird Rescue

?The citation is null and void,? U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service spokesman Bill Butcher told msnbc.com on Tuesday. ?We?ve rescinded it.?

?They [the agent and state trooper] had gone to inquire about the health of the woodpecker,? Butcher said. ?At that point, they determined that no further action was necessary.?

Despite this, Butcher said, the citation was processed unintentionally. He added that the agency has apologized to Capo and will send her a formal letter explaining the clerical error.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
So remember kids. Baby birds should be left to die horribly according to US law.

EDIT: Interesting question, how did the authorities find out about this? Did someone report her or something?

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Who would report something like this? The rest is just the legal process, but what kind of person watches that happen, and then sits and thinks 'I wonder if that child's broken any laws there'

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Stop it, America. No other country on the planet has enforced laws to violently stupid that it has actually made me want to become a criminal.

I mean seriously, the legislators and police department of that town deserve a trip to court and a fine slapped on their face the size of which they've never seen. Maybe that's harsh, but I follow the belief that if someone does something wrong to this extent, you give them a punishment so severe, harsh, sudden, and outright evil that they learn to never, EVER try it again.

Feb 13, 2008
And if the Trooper hadn't done anything? He'd have been neglectful of his duty and possibly dismissed. This shit goes all the way up to the top.

That's when they were confronted by a fellow shopper who said she worked for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
That's when this shit should have stopped. That's when this nosey busybody got the Troopers in trouble. The Troopers are only doing their duty - this woman is being a *expletive usually used for a female dog in heat*.

This is always the way it is at the moment. Some interfering idiot decides to enforce a badly worded law onto someone else, who has no knowledge of it; and is backed up by people who HAVE to carry it out.

Find that woman. Fine her. Then change that damn stupid law. You can't legislate common sense and you shouldn't have to.

Feb 13, 2008
CJ1145 said:
Stop it, America. No other country on the planet has enforced laws to violently stupid that it has actually made me want to become a criminal.
C'mon CJ, England, Canada and Australia have all got equally stupid laws. America's just got more of them because it's bigger.

Detective Prince

Feb 6, 2011
...THE HORROR. HOW DARE SHE SAVE A YOUNG ANIMAL'S LIFE? WHO DOES THAT GIRL THINK SHE IS? GOD?!

Seriously that is the stupidest law I've ever read. I'd wanna see the mother in prison just for this conversation...

Prisoner: What you in for?
Mother: My daughter saved a bird from a cat.
Prisoner: .......

MindBullets

Apr 5, 2008
Laws should probably have some flexibility to allow for common sense to accommodate instances like this one. Then again, it's probably not easy trying to define what common sense is in legal terms.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Isn't odd how every time you hear these organizations with long names, they're always the villain?
CJ1145 said:
Hush, we have a larger population so this happens a lot more often than other countries.

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
These kind of incidents always confuse me to the point beyond words...she even released the bird! It's one thing to put it in a box or a cage, but it's another to put it back in its nest.

Jake Lewis Clayton

Apr 22, 2010
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Isn't odd how every time you hear these organizations with long names, they're always the villain?
CJ1145 said:
Hush, we have a larger population so this happens a lot more often than other countries.

India doesn't have 3 times your stupid laws :p.