Immerse Yourself in the World of Dishonored

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Immerse Yourself in the World of Dishonored

The new "Immersion" developer diary takes an up-close look at the city of Dunwall and the world of Dishonored.

I keep thinking that Dishonored cannot possibly get any sexier, and these videos keep coming out and proving me wrong. I suppose that shouldn't be too much of a surprise with the latest release, "Immersion," since it's all about the elements of the game that draws players in and makes them believe.

Creating a believable world was a priority, but at the same time Dishonored boasts a "non-photo-realistic art style" that allows artists a great degree of flexibility with visual storytelling techniques. Physical proportions are stylized to reflect unique identities of various characters; a brawler among the guards, for instance, has enlarged hands and a slightly shrunken skull, while the city's aristocrats are slender, with higher foreheads and "much tougher faces."

Also very interesting is the focus on Dunwall's whale oil industry, which has no actual role in the game but informs many of its overarching design elements. "All that suggests that the world is bigger than the city," Visual Design Director Viktor Antonov explains. "You have an ocean, you have foreign, different lands, and maybe colonies, you have these mysterious ships bringing these strange animals... the whale ships expand the scope of the city."

Dishonored [http://www.amazon.com/Dishonored-Xbox-360/dp/B005C2D2MO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347383171&sr=8-1&keywords=Dishonored] comes out on October 9 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
I think this game is creating too much hype for it's own good.

I am actually curious what would benefit sales more: A good game that doesn't get hyped, flies slightly below the radar up to it's launch, but exceeds all expectations and gets boosted by favourable reviews (with the internet being what it is, people are going to hear about it pretty fast)

or a good game that gets over-hyped, falls short of expectations (naturally), but at least bags a lot of day one sales.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
VladG said:

I am actually curious what would benefit sales more: A good game that doesn't get hyped, flies slightly below the radar up to it's launch, but exceeds all expectations and gets boosted by favourable reviews (with the internet being what it is, people are going to hear about it pretty fast)

or a good game that gets over-hyped, falls short of expectations (naturally), but at least bags a lot of day one sales.
The second, every time. It might leave some disappointed, but the truth is with games costing as much as they do people are much more likely to buy, say, a sequel to a game they already like, than a new IP that has an interesting concept, but is seen as a more risky purchase. The only chance the devs have to make the consumer choose the new IP is to make it impossible to ignore.

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
Over-hyped or not, it's easy to forget just how much work goes into making a game. Whether or not I like the game itself, I always try to appreciate the effort people made in creating their world.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
VladG said:

The second, every time. It might leave some disappointed, but the truth is with games costing as much as they do people are much more likely to buy, say, a sequel to a game they already like, than a new IP that has an interesting concept, but is seen as a more risky purchase. The only chance the devs have to make the consumer choose the new IP is to make it impossible to ignore.
You're probably right. For all my optimism that the gaming community has evolved over the years, the first example would have probably been better 10-15 years ago, assuming it would get enough exposure.

Beat14

Jun 27, 2010
I feel like I have watched the equivalent of a dvd commentary. Would have been nice to pick up on the themes as I was going along, then have watched this is some ways. Not that it ruined anything for me, just a preference.

I am looking forward to this game, at this moment in time I struggle to see how it could be a bad experience.

jbm1986

May 18, 2012
I'm excited for this one. I've watched a ton of vids on youtube and I like what I've seen thus far.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Man they are hyping this one hard. As long as the story is good and the gameplay matches what they are selling it as I should be happy with it. I am looking for a new take on the thief and hitman mechanics and this seems to have the right idea.

Let's hope this is good as I want a new AAA game to catch my eye.

Keneth

Oct 14, 2011
Beat14 said:
[...]at this moment in time I struggle to see how it could be a bad experience.
There are fractally divergent, myriad ways this could end up being a bad experience.

On-Topic: I've been keeping my eye on this one as well. The ideas here are very bold and I truly hope they come to fruition. But, I have yet to play a First Person RPG/Adventure with a truly seamless physical combat system. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic came tantalizingly close, however.

Beat14

Jun 27, 2010
Keneth said:
Beat14 said:
There are fractally divergent, myriad ways this could end up being a bad experience.

On-Topic: I've been keeping my eye on this one as well. The ideas here are very bold and I truly hope they come to fruition. But, I have yet to play a First Person RPG/Adventure with a truly seamless physical combat system. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic came tantalizingly close, however.
I do speak for myself not some group, so I stand by what I put. I think it will be a good experience due to the art style which I'm loving, makes the world a really interesting place from what I've seen. Gameplay looks satisfactory enough even if it some how failed...

If I get it and dislike, il quote you to let you know how moronic I am being here. However I honestly think it will be a great game for myself and many others.

Fumbles

Apr 15, 2009
Keneth said:
Beat14 said:

Having played it at Quakecon... it is pretty seamless... and visceral.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
jbm1986 said:
piinyouri said:
I can say I have no interest in this.
Why not? Are you a DIRTY COMMIE!? /joking

Dude, I'm srsly jelly right now.
From the moon.

I don't know, it hasn't actively repulsed me or anything, I guess the hype surrounding it has failed to capture me.
*shrug*

Yabba

Aug 19, 2012
Looks pretty good, it may be one of the few day one buys in a long time for me.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
jbm1986 said:
piinyouri said:
I can say I have no interest in this.
Why not? Are you a DIRTY COMMIE!? /joking
i also have no interest, but i've seen nothing particularly interesting, but then it could be the facts its ANOTHER first person game .... cuase we don't have enough of those as is ....