EA Hiring Employees From Zynga Exodus

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
EA Hiring Employees From Zynga Exodus

EA knows that Zynga staff will "have no trouble finding jobs" because it already hired several of them.

It's spectacular how quickly the tables have turned on Zynga. In 2011, the casual games developer was rolling in so much money that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104725-Zynga-Money-Machine-Leaves-EA-Behind>it actually outranked Electronic Arts financially. Then the market bubble burst, and Zynga's prospects tumbled faster than a house of cards. Now the struggling company <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118884-EA-Sues-Zynga-for-Copying-The-Sims-Social>is facing legal action from Electronic Arts alongside very public attacks on <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119175-EA-Standing-Up-for-the-Industry-by-Suing-Zynga>its ethically-questionable industry practices. EA may not have a lot of love for Zynga right now, but the sentiment doesn't extend to Zynga's staff. According to the LA Times, EA has scooped up several former Zynga employees in the wake of mass layoffs and resignations, presumably before sticking out its tongue and taunting the former competitor mercilessly.

The news came from EA Human Resources Vice President Gabrielle Toledano, who noticed a distinct increase in Zynga employees leaving resumes with the publisher. "Zynga people have good skills and experience," she explained. "They'll have no trouble finding jobs elsewhere in the game industry."

While EA hasn't named specific individuals, Toledano did note that "several" applicants were hired for positions with EA. Even considering EA's strong anti-Zynga rhetoric, it's hard to blame them for the move; Zynga practically invented the concept of profitable Facebook games, providing its former staff with skills that could prove very useful to EA <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118786-Electronic-Arts-Says-the-Future-is-Freemium>as it expands into free-to-play markets.

The truly delicious irony is that these hires are also a reversal of last year's scenario. At the time, Zynga get its hands on. EA seems happy to reap the benefits even as it lashes out against the company, such as when Studio President Frank Gibeau directly compared the stability of Zynga to wartorn Syria. I can't help think that since the shoe is on the other foot, it will be used to kick Zynga while it's down.

Source: <a href=http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-zynga-cmo-jeff-karp-leaves-20120910,0,1946102.story>Los Angeles Times

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
inb4 EA just sued Zynga to hire them!
inb4 EA is the devil and now they take even more!
inb4 Zynga deserves what it gets, those filthy scammers!

Now as for my own opinion: I could barely care less. Really now, Zynga execs were assholes and many of the basic employees ended up with a company-loyalty beyond belief. EA on the other hand is a publishing juggernaut which threatens developers throughout the industry.
Both should come to an end, but EA is the lesser evil (as Zynga's practices are much more threatening to IPs, as opposed to EA's rather up-front destruction of said IPs).

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I guess EA are on *takes off glasses* hire ground, YEAHHHHHHHHH!

Lt. Rocky

Jan 4, 2012
From the ethnically questionable Zynga to the morally questionable EA.

I bet half those folks are thinking "Man, I really need to rethink my life.."

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
IS this going to be a new thing, where a large company with bad reputation has to sue a company, focing them to fire people, so they can hire the ones that got fired.

Isn't that like using a duckcall to shoot the ducks?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Evil Smurf said:
I guess EA are on *takes off glasses* hire ground, YEAHHHHHHHHH!

Anyway, I absolutely love the irony of the whole situation.

And by mentioning irony, I can now post another Futurama thing (from the same episode).

Hyperone

Nov 30, 2009
Honestly, I can only shake my head. The business side of gaming might literally give me cancer one of these days.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Ouch, out of the frying pan and straight into the fire, EA has a 70% employee turnover rate for a reason.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
Oh, this made my day! I haven't had such a heartfelt laugh in a long long time :D
The irony, the sweet, sweet irony, how I love it!

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well there is no better way to deal with shit then to stack it all in the same place... then nuke it from orbit.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Zynga may be bad but not all of the people who work there are. Given what I've heard of EA's treatment of their workers, being hired there is a fate no-one deserves.