A Look Inside the Dishonored "Experience"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
A Look Inside the Dishonored "Experience"

"Experience," the new Dishonored Developer Documentary, talks about what players can expect from their adventures in Dunwall.

It seems like just yesterday that we watched the Dishonored video "Immersion [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119540-Immerse-Yourself-in-the-World-of-Dishonored]," but it wasn't - it was actually the day before yesterday. Today, it's "Experience," which touches on some aspects of the game we've already seen while expanding on the idea that different approaches to gameplay can yield different, but equally valid and "successful," results.

Dishonored may be "the first assassination game where you don't actually have to kill anybody," as Co-Creative Director Harvey Smith put it. Players can go wild with violence or they can approach situations "surgically," getting in and out without anyone knowing they were there. The AI is designed to react appropriately to whatever they may do, and when violence does take place, weapons and powers can be combined in devastating and sometimes unexpected fashion.

The Dishonored hype is running hot, and as a few people have already mentioned, Bethesda could be at risk of overselling it. It's tough to allow players this degree of freedom and yet keep everything believable, because when you give them the opportunity to throw knuckleballs, you can be sure that they will. But if the game is able to handle it as deftly as the developers promise, it could very well be amazing.

Dishonored [http://www.amazon.com/Dishonored-Xbox-360/dp/B005C2D2MO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347552616&sr=8-1&keywords=Dishonored] comes out on October 9 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Wow, their really going all out media blitz now.

I hope this game delivers, it looks awesome in the way only a triple AAA can be and unique in feel and style the way Indie games are .

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
They might be over hyping it a bit, but hopefully they aren't and we get a good game out of this.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Rainboq said:
They might be over hyping it a bit, but hopefully they aren't and we get a good game out of this.
I'll even take a highly-flawed immersive sim. That pretty well describes both of Arkane's other games, and I had an absolute blast with both of them.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
I think I will get it.

Besides I honestly want to see if I can avoid killing ANYONE.
Rare that a game does that.

Then I will do a run where I kill everything.
Just for lulz.

Beat14

Jun 27, 2010
I'm really looking forward to this, but even I got tired of all the "...but in Dishonored you can ..." ;)

New fuel for let's Plays? I bet.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
It seems like your character is totally over powered, to the point where it'll get boring quite fast, but I think I'll get this anyway. (Assuming I don't run into more money problems).

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Dishonored looks like it will be an amazing game. I plan to finish the game twice. One where I don't kill anyone and one where I kill all the guards and targets. October 9th can't come fast enough.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
CardinalPiggles said:
It seems like your character is totally over powered, to the point where it'll get boring quite fast, but I think I'll get this anyway. (Assuming I don't run into more money problems).
Between the Tallboys, insta-kill electric gates and the sect dedicated to destroying your patron who gave you your powers (who also have access to a musical device which can stop you from using your abilities), I think Corvo has his work cut out for him.

Phoenix8541

No Regrets
Sep 10, 2012
This newest video installment gives me better hope for the game. Im excited to see the response upon release!