Wii GamePad Won't Be Sold Separately at Launch in NA

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Wii GamePad Won't Be Sold Separately at Launch in NA

North American Wii U owners will have to wait for Wii GamePad replacements.

While it's been confirmed that the Wii U can support at least two Wii U GamePad tablet controllers at the same time, none of the console's launch titles will require or support more than one. As a result, while Japanese Wii U owners will be able to purchase an extra GamePad for ¥13,440 ($173), the controller won't be sold separately in North American territories, at least during the console's launch window.

"Through the launch window, there are no games that leverage a second controller," Nintendo of America CEO, Reggie Fils-Aime, told Engadget. "And so, during the launch window here in NOA territories, we will not be selling at retail a second gamepad. But certainly, when the games come out, we'll be making that accessory available."

At roughly $170 a pop - though rumor has it the NA price will be less steep - it's unlikely that many households will be investing in a second GamePad, but replacements will be required, especially when household proto-humans get their sticky, Ribena-coated fingers on the pad's delicate touchscreen. Anyone looking to replace the pad will have to contact Nintendo customer support.

It seems to me like Nintendo is trying avoid consumer confusion with its initial lineup. The North American Wii install base was predominantly made up of casual and/or younger gamers, and at $170 apiece, I can see the average soccer mom mistaking the GamePad for an actual, standalone console. That would no doubt lead to some really awkward Christmas mornings.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/13/wii-u-wiipads-wont-be-sold-separately-at-launch-in-us-will-be/]

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
My interest in the WiiU kept going up and up...and then down and down.

8/32GB HDD?
170USD for another controller?

:/

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Well that's a red flag for me. This wii gamepad is untested in how it operates or how easily it malfunctions, so if the rare chance something does go wrong there is no way to replace it making the wiiU collect dust? I think my original plan of waiting till 2014 when zelda comes out is sounding better with every news piece that surfaces.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
And people slam Sony for their extra expensive proprietary hardware... at least if you want an overly expensive memory stick or something you can find one.

Also, not sure what it says about the greatness of the awesome new controller when even Reggie has to say that nothing in the launch window (which these days usually seems to be the first 3 to 6 months) makes good use of a second GamePad.

MagmaMan

Apr 2, 2012
It wouldn't take much more to buy a new Xbox! Really? I'm not getting a WiiU but for everyone that is, for their sake I hope those pads actually last a good while.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Remember when people said the Vita and it's memory cards were too overpriced? I sure do and you watch those exact same people flock their nearest game store on release day to buy this thing and probably several tablet controllers.

but replacements will be required, especially when household proto-humans get their sticky, Ribena-coated fingers on the pad's delicate touchscreen.
This is exactly what screen protectors are for. An absolute necessity in the age of touch screens.

Sober Thal said:
I thought there was a Rayman title that supported up to four players? Only one friggin pad controller supported for all the games so far? That kinda sucks. But yeah, at that price... ouch. You know the kids will be fighting over who gets the pad, and the winner will laugh at the petty regular controllers.
It says that it can support up to two touch pad controllers at the same time. I vaguely recall reading about a controller without the touch pad will also be available, so I assume (expect) it should be able to run an additional two of those as well.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Did you guys make that pic? It made the article hard to read because I was giggling so much XD

I love that one so much. Almost as good as the "super-rage-gonna-murder-your-family" face.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
I don't know if it's a bad thing that I laughed at the thought of children crying on Christmas.
I say no but something tells me I'm going to hell.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
*before article*
Yeah Wii U is gonna be awesome and I'll make sure to get all the equipment needed!
*after article*
Hello wallet, don't worry you're no longer going to be starving.

OT: $170 a pop for one of them, wow I mean just wow. Hearing this makes me fear for what the price of the console will be. *looks up prices*

Yeah if they're not careful this could end up like the PS3 launch with how not many people really bought it for a time due to the outrageous price it had. Plus with the prices like that the lineup is gonna have to get better for this to take off like how the Wii did. Now while there are some good titles there-New Super Mario Bros Wii U, Pikmin 3 (finally!), Nintendoland, Rayman Legends, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and Assassin's Creed 3- but I feel that they'd need a whole lot more to get people to shell out that much for the controllers.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
$170 you say?

Holy crap (0.o) that's like the price of a new DS. Well shit, now we know for certain why the launch bundles are so freaking expensive.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
Sometimes I wonder if the Japanese even want American money
I see...
actually I have no idea what you are saying. it's like you forgot half the words, or at least half your thought.

Limpnoodle

Sep 14, 2012
This must be a troll thread. who is going to need a second Upad anytime in the near (and probably distant) future. the controllers you are going to need are wiimotes and pro's which will be priced the same as 360 controllers, i would assume.

Tanis said:
8/32GB HDD?
:/
that would be SSD and it will support SDHC and usb HDD both which are cheap.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
just buy a gamepad off ebay
During launch season!? Remember how much the PS3 went for in launch season on Ebay? Also, they might be region protected, because Nintendo loves region locking, and would not work on NA Wii U's.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Wow some people really like to overreact. They're not going to have additional tablet controllers available at launch, doesn't mean they won't have them out a few months after. Wow talk about a deal breaker!

Now that price is steep so a lot depends on their durability. If they're prone to breaking then that's going to be expensive, otherwise few people are probably going to need to buy two of them.