Platinum Games Responds to Angry Bayonetta Fans

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Platinum Games Responds to Angry Bayonetta Fans

"A state of upheaval" in the console gaming market led to Bayonetta 2's Wii U exclusivity.

When Bayonetta 2 was less than enthused [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119574-Bayonetta-2-Coming-Exclusively-to-Wii-U]. Developer Platinum Games responded to the, uh, passionate reaction on its website today, saying that it was "aware that the announcement may have come as a shock to many of you." While Platinum had "no intention of alienating" fans, it was very excited about its partnership with Nintendo, calling the Wii U maker "dedicated to establishing a new future for the games industry."

"The console games market is in a state of upheaval, so establishing a new game franchise requires a considerable amount of will, determination, and love," Platinum said of the difficulties involved in creating a sequel to Bayonetta. Calling it "one of our most beloved titles," the developer stated that it went to Sega in order to continue the franchise, but ultimately "our answer was a new partnership with Nintendo." Thanks to this partnership, "even more gamers around the world" will be able to enjoy the continuing series.

Platinum wants the Bayonetta brand to keep growing under the Nintendo partnership, and hopes that gamers will look forward to Bayonetta 2 and wherever the series might go beyond that. Seeing a formerly multiplatform game get a console-exclusive sequel hasn't been easy for some fans, but it sounds like Bayonetta 2 never would have happened without Nintendo. We'll see just how well this partnership works out when Bayonetta 2 launches at some indeterminate point in the future.

Source: IGN [http://platinumgames.com/2012/09/14/bayonetta-2-joins-the-wonderful-101-on-wii-u/]

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
How does being an exclusive to a single console reach more people?

Platinum, you see, there's this thing called logic. You seem to be missing it.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
They just don't want to admit straight-out that Nintendo is the only reason why this game is being published in the first place.

Also, keep working at it Sarah. Looks like you got all of the news duties dumped on you while everyone else is having fun at the Expo >.>

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Actually, it's not a bad idea at all, although that statement of "even more gamers around the world will get to play it" is all kinds of wrong and stupid, Nintendo may be up to something and I'm interested on seeing more of this.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
So let me get this straight Platinum games wanted to make Bayonetta 2 but the geniuses at Sega decides that the continued assrape of the Sonic series was a better business plan and said No. So Nintendo wanting to win back the more "traditional" gaming demographic decides to do something almost completely out of character and publish an almost certainly M rated game (Which I might add gamer have been wanting Nintendo to "grow up" for years now)
And what do they get for it?
The pathetic bitching of anti-Nintendo fanboy gamers who fail to see that now without Nintendo THERE IS NO BAYONETTA 2.

The only way I could see this going bad was if Nintendo decides to censor it, Like say every time Bayonetta shows a some skin they covered her Ass/Tits with Mario style question mark boxes.

Also does this mean that Bayonetta will be in the next Smash Bros?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I didn't realize Bayonetta had such a diehard fanbase. I mean it was a decent exploitation flick style game, but it certainly doesn't warrant such an angry uprising. Besides, the dev isn't really faring to well at the moment so cut them some slack. If they can manage to get back on their feet with Nintendo's help then I'd wager they'll make a release to the other platforms when they do.

On a more cynical note, I'm sure the real reason behind the anger is that the crotches of many male teenagers will go unchaffed with it as a Wii U exclusive.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
so a sequel of bayonetta is coming?

that sounds like great news?

oh wait, it is!

TP just wants to create the game, and only way was with nintendo, good for them.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
"Stop embarrassing us and yourselves. It was this or nothing"

~Platinum Games

~Also everyone who wasn't complaining about it

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Fappy said:
They just don't want to admit straight-out that Nintendo is the only reason why this game is being published in the first place.

Also, keep working at it Sarah. Looks like you got all of the news duties dumped on you while everyone else is having fun at the Expo >.>
That is the impression that I got as well. When he stated that they went to SEGA first and pretty much got the finger, nintendo seemed to be the only one willing to support them. Can't blame them for that.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Fappy said:
o.0 isn't that what they they just said though? cause its what it sounds like to me

Oct 30, 2010
Ghonzor said:

Because games that never get released reach even fewer people.

Nihlus2

Feb 8, 2011
I will actually give credit here where it is due here. This seems like a (minor) sign of the next generation of consoles moving on ahead, with exclusive titles for the first of its kind.

It would not really work making it for both the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U, the Wii U would be slaughtered by having to lower the quality to the other two. And this is said purely from the objective standpoint of the power of the three compared to one another (Wii U on the higher ground, the other two on the lower).

As much as I feel for the Bayonetta Fanbase, this was inevitably going to happen sooner or later. It was either for Xbox and PS3 and not Wii U, or reversed, and without Nintendo's support it would have stayed dead to begin with.

It is about damn time tbh... the sooner we can do this transition the better. And we are WAY overdue already, good job Nintendo - your move Microsoft and Sony.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Ghonzor said:

Well, technically, reaching SOME people is better than reaching NO people. It's pretty clear this game wouldn't be happening without Nintendo stepping in.

Personally, I don't care what anyone says, this is a good thing in my book. Bayonetta was a brilliant action game, and I'm thrilled at the prospect of getting more of it.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
ANImaniac89 said:
The only way I could see this going bad was if Nintendo decides to censor it, Like say every time Bayonetta shows a some skin they covered her Ass/Tits with Mario style question mark boxes.
I'd buy the game hands down if Nintendo took that approach. That'd be too funny to pass up.

But in all seriousness, if Nintendo had games like No More Heroes and Mad World on the Wii before, I think Bayonetta 2 will be relatively safe. I'm curious to see how it plays out on the Wii U. Gonna have to wait a while for some gameplay footage.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Ghonzor said:

No Bayonetta 2 or Bayonetta 2 on the WiiU.
Which one will reach more people?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Eh, right now if you want to watch a storm of bitching you only need turn your attention to any US embassy in the Middle East.

But thats a bit off-topic, so heres some on-topic.

My acid reflux over the games evident future has died down and im now willing to chance it, provided the controls stay as concise (i.e. minimal movement of the hands when im wailing on a crowd of angels) as possible.

The other reason why im willing to chance it is because theres a Monster Hunter game coming to the Wii U as well. and i hate to buy whole consoles just for the sake of one game, even if the one game in question will see me though entertainment-wise until im literally physically sick of it.

Also to throw some fuel on the fire, why didnt Platinum seek the help of other publishers? I wont say Capcom for a list of obvious reasons not least that they wouldnt publish a competitor to one of thier own franchises, but theres Atlus and probably others...

Orbot_Vectorman

Cleaning trash since 1990
May 11, 2009
To be quite honest, I should start trying to find work and Nintendo, because honestly, they could have made a killing on Bayonetta 2. Firstly by the fact Bayonetta has a pre-made fan base on the PS3 and X-Box 360, and with that in mind, Nintendo could have published Bayonetta 2 for the other consoles, and made money of their enemies, honestly a new game is $60 all day long. And if that wasn't enough, they could have built the excitement by making Bayonetta 2 a timed Wii U exclusive, giving fans more of a reason to get it.