BioWare Co-Founders Retire

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioWare Co-Founders Retire

BioWare co-founders Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka are leaving the company.

The last couple of years have been rough on BioWare, but even so, the news that Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka are retiring from the company they founded 17 years ago is a shock.

"The decision to leave the videogame industry is hard to explain, but essentially I feel similar now to how I felt in the early days of BioWare over the decade post-medical school, while I was still practicing as an ER physician, back when I first realized that the world of videogames was my next career 'chapter'," Muzyka wrote in a farewell blog post [http://blog.bioware.com/2012/09/18/from-ray-muzyka/]. "Two wonderful decades working at BioWare and later EA was the result of that decision. It's not often that you can truly say you were able to pursue and achieve your dream job; I know how lucky I am to be able to say that now, in my early 40s."

"After nearly twenty years working at BioWare I've decided it's time to move on and pursue something new. This decision isn't without significant pain and regret, but it's also something I know I need to do, for myself and my family," Zeschuk said in his own goodbye [http://blog.bioware.com/2012/09/18/from-greg-zeschuk/]. "I've reached an unexpected point in my life where I no longer have the passion that I once did for the company, for the games, and for the challenge of creation. For the people I have had the privilege of working with, however, my passion burns as brightly as it did the day we started. The people I work with now, and that I have worked with in the past, have inspired me and really made all of the challenges we've collectively faced over the years worthwhile."

Muzyka said he intends to become more involved with educational, health care and animal rights charities, while Zeschuk said he wants to pursue some "personal passion-driven projects related to craft beer." Alas, we shouldn't expect a return to the business of making games from either of them anytime soon; Zeschuk in particular said there's a "strong possibility" that he won't ever be back.

Dragon Age, Mass Effect and Star Wars: The Old Republic inspired a lot of heated discussion across the internet, but you simply cannot overstate the impact that Zeschuk and Muzyka had on the industry. From Baldur's Gate to Mass Effect 3, they rejuvenated and reshaped the RPG genre as we know it, leaving it far better and stronger than they found. For that, gentlemen, and everything else: Thank you.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Welp, this is a sad day. I'm sort of wondering if they're bailing ship due to all the negative feedback they've been getting lately.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
It was Baldur's Gate that turned my little hobby, my little fun thing to do, in to a full fledged passion. To 1998 Baby Tea: Baldur's Gate showed that games could be powerful, expansive, emotional, fun, and everything a good book could be. Baldur's Gate 2, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Dragon Age: These games are the ones I remember most, are the ones I still play today. Both these guys will be fondly remembered. I'll be playing Baldur's Gate tonight in celebration of their work, and what they showed me gaming could be.

Thanks for the games, guys. Sad to see you go.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
Well, there goes Bioware, it was nice knowing you.

Thanks for the games guys.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Oh do grow up. Already with the conspiracy theories and cries for what darkness is to come?

I wish them both the very best in their new pursuits, and I thank them for their contribution to games. I think that's really all that needs to be said.

Quijiboh

Mar 24, 2011
These two guys have created stuff that has captured my imagination more completely than anything else from any other medium. I cannot wish them well enough.

xedobubble

Apr 2, 2009
Vaya con Dios, gentlemen. You brought us some amazing work.

We shall watch your careers with great interest.

purifico

Oct 29, 2009
The transaction into a mindless EA drone is now complete. I cry for you my dear ex-favourite studio and wish Greg and Ray all the best. I don't know what is the worst part though: the fact that they don't want to work in game industry anymore, or the fact that I will always wonder whether their desire to retire was due to feeling that they've achieved everything they could on the field, or being desillusioned with the industry after working under EA.

NKRevan

Apr 13, 2011
BioWare was one of the major reasons I got into the industry. These two leaving the industry is kind of a shock to me to be honest.

I wish them all the best in their future projects, whatever they may be.

You'll be missed.

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
There goes Bioware's only chance at making any more great games. I salute you, Greg and Ray, for making some really awesome games in your time.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Bye guys. And RIP Bioware. Let's hope someone like Supergiant or Yager rises to keep good game writing going.