Reggie: White 3DS XLs Wouldn't Sell in NA

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Reggie: White 3DS XLs Wouldn't Sell in NA

Apparently, North Americans prefer pink over white or silver.

Want one of those fancy white 3DS XLs that are so popular in Japan? Well if you live in North America, bugger you, because you're not getting one. As is traditional for Nintendo, the company's latest handheld comes in a wide variety of eye-catching colors (or not-colors like white) in Japan, while North American customers get a far smaller selection. No white, no silver, it turns out North Americans just don't like those colors enough for them to be included as standard SKUs.

"So instead of approaching this lighter-colored product as a mass [product], we're going to look at the opportunity on a much more limited basis," Nintendo of America boss, Reggie Fils-Aime, told IGN. "You might see a limited-time offer with a white or silver 3DS XL, or we might colorize it slightly differently. But in terms of an ongoing SKU, the consumer has responded in our marketplace and said that, for a handheld gaming device from Nintendo, that kind of white or silver doesn't sell nearly as well as blue or red or even pink."

Which is odd, given that the Wii, which I'll remind you is one of Nintendo's most successful consoles to date, was originally sold in one color configuration, institution white. Eventually, after years of begging and pleading from customers, Nintendo released variants in red, blue and black.

The implication that we might see more special edition variants is pleasing, especially if more of the Japan-only models start making it over to the West. I'm looking at you, hideous-yet-somehow-awesome Pikachu 3DS XL. [http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2012/08/pikachu817.jpg]

Source: IGN [http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/09/18/why-we-didnt-get-a-white-3ds-xl]

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I can't really fault Nintendo for that line of thinking. Really outside of the Wii I don't know of any console at all that's been white in the US. The PSX was gray but if I remember correctly there was a Japan exclusive that was White: same with the PS2 and 3. Oh wait, the Xbox360 was originally white too...maybe Nintendo is just being a bully again and not sharing its toys. I'm telling Mom...

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Bloodstain said:
Did you just call that Pikachu edition 'hideous'? It's....amazing.
It's shocking that somebody would call it hideous.
I think it's a pretty flashy bit of kit myself.

=D

Yeah, I am ashamed btw.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Because its just too white and nerdy.

*off singing the song..

I kinda want to say that Reggie is wrong on that part. But white and silver is not my choice of color.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I find it hard to believe that silver would be a color that would be avoided. White, yes, because it is the color of boredom, and it shows dirt easier than any other color.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Signa said:
I find it hard to believe that silver would be a color that would be avoided. White, yes, because it is the color of boredom, and it shows dirt easier than any other color.
Depends on what kind of finish the surface has and what kind of dirt. For things that are glossy, if you keep them otherwise clean and aren't getting food and other crud on them, dark colors show fingerprints and dust a lot more than light ones. I've had glossy white and black things right next to each other that are equally dusty, and the white one doesn't look it at all until you're right next to it, while the black one is obvious right away. The black one also shows the fingerprints/smudges when you pick it up and try to brush it off. Heh.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Man what is it with console and handheld colors? I just don't get it. I mean on one side I'll buy any color that's available, and the color means very little to me, but on the other hand, why is color such a weird deal?
Why do developers "come out" with new colors, why not just sell the original in multiple colors at the start?
It must be a manufacturing thing.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I nearly just flipped my shit thinking you were about to call the Pikachu GameBoy Color hideous, but then I clicked the link and kind of agree with you.
I can understand wanting specific colors to match your taste on a handheld. My Vita goes everywhere with me and I wouldn't have it any other color than black. Well, the blue one shown at TGS was kinda nice and I might also settle for that. But the red and white ones hold no interest with me. The white one would only end up brown and yuck after a year or so of use.
Household consoles on the other hand, I don't really see the point. They just sit there on the TV unit and while it's nice to have all oyur appliances matching colors, I can't imagine the pink/red/blue Wiis that were released would ever fit that kind of excuse. Unless you live in a life-size Barbie Playhouse.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
Signa said:
Depends on what kind of finish the surface has and what kind of dirt. For things that are glossy, if you keep them otherwise clean and aren't getting food and other crud on them, dark colors show fingerprints and dust a lot more than light ones. I've had glossy white and black things right next to each other that are equally dusty, and the white one doesn't look it at all until you're right next to it, while the black one is obvious right away. The black one also shows the fingerprints/smudges when you pick it up and try to brush it off. Heh.
That is true. I'm a little biased about the idea of DS colors, because my DS has had 3 separate color schemes. No, I didn't go mad with a spray can, my hinges broke, and so I ordered new shells. I'm on my third shell, and the site I used offered just about every official color and scheme that Nintendo ever released, plus more like camouflage and transparent. I've gotten it into my head that I can have any color I want, regardless of what Nintendo is offering. My last two shells that were black were also of a matte finish, so the dirt never showed. Meanwhile, the white DS that I started with got all sorts of junk in the corners and ruined that pristine appearance that my other shells never lost.