Prometheus Coming to YouTube Before Blu-Ray

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Prometheus Coming to YouTube Before Blu-Ray

Fox inks deal with Google to bring content digitally before retail.

I remember the days when you'd desperately wait years before a movie was available at the VHS rental place. Here we are thirty years later, and blockbuster movies can be found in stores a scant few months after they were in theaters. That wait time is going to get even shorter, thanks to the digital revolution. Yesterday, Google announced a deal with one of the biggest movie studios in Hollywood, Twentieth Century Fox, to bring more than 600 movies and TV shows to its Google Play service and YouTube. Google hopes that Fox is just the first of the six major studios to come to terms with a digital marketplace.

"We're happy to share that Family Guy and 600 other titles from Twentieth Century Fox will soon be joining the catalog for you to rent or buy on Google Play and YouTube," said Jonathan Zepp from Google.

According to Variety, Prometheus will be the first film on Google Play and YouTube under Fox's new Digital HD program, three weeks before you can buy the Blu-ray or DVD. Heck, that's even before you'll be able to watch it "on-demand."

"Over the next few weeks you'll be able to rent or buy your favorite Fox movies like X-Men, Ice Age and Black Swan, and TV shows like Glee, Modern Family, New Girl and many more," Zepp continued. "These new titles will be available first in the U.S., and we'll be bringing them to more countries soon. We're now working with all six of the major film studios and many independent studios to bring you the best new releases and your favorite classics to rent or own."

I'm not sure how Google will charge for Prometheus on YouTube - or if we'll be able to watch it for free - but I think this is a fantastic development for the consumer. Sure, it all depends on the pricing on Google Play, but the more options we have for digital purchases the better.

Source: Variety [http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118059409.html?cmpid=RSS%7CNews%7CFilmNews]

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
A) It's about time.

B) What they COULD do is have the DVD out on shelves in the cinema so you can buy it on the way out, with a discount when you hand in your used movie ticket.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
mad825 said:
At this rate, they might just make film piracy obsolete.
I'd say they're too late. If I want to see a movie I can have it on my desktop in a few minutes, viewable as many times as I want. Heck, most tv shows are available minutes after they've finished airing.

That sort of underground scence thing won't just go away that easily now that it's evolved into this.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Now if only cable tv would follow suit.
+1 for this. TV programming has gotten really good lately (I ignore the bad stuff. Who cares about that when you have everything else? Like what is on AMC, HBO, Showtime, and even some of major networks have great shows like Community), but they are stuck in the Dark Ages from a business standpoint.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
knowing google they will put it all out free and pay for it with ads sort of like TV but over the internet google seams to be the master of monetising "free" digital content and services with advertising piracy will still have the edge in not having any ads but this might noticeable reduce it

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Kaymish said:
knowing google they will put it all out free and pay for it with ads sort of like TV but over the internet google seams to be the master of monetising "free" digital content and services with advertising piracy will still have the edge in not having any ads but this might noticeable reduce it
The general rule is that if you aren't paying for it, you are the product.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
mad825 said:
...incidentally, I just asked a friend to check on those illicit areas of the internet, and it would seem that Prometheus was made available about a week ago.

Yep. Piracy, obsolete.

Yellowbeard

Nov 2, 2010
digital warrior said:
Now if only Prometheus was worth watching.
This. Dear god what an awful movie. I think I physically face-palmed more times in that theater than during the rest of my life.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i still prefer the dvd. im sure when im back in australia, i will have a limited amount every month available.
plus, my hard disc is for games only. movies really take a lot of space and i dont think i will watch them 100x when there are other movies i like to watch.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Hammeroj said:
Hm, what's this Pro-me-the-un thing? Science fiction? Made by Ridley Scott? How did I miss this? Gotta check that out.

The joke is that the movie was so horribly disappointing my brain repressed any memories about it.
I still cannot understand at all why so many people hated this movie, I really liked it. People's expectations I think were just too high.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
mad825 said:
The film industry has always been years behind the curve. For one, DVD screeners of many well-known movies over the years have leaked weeks (and, in some cases, months) in advance. American Gangster had a DVD rip online two months before it hit store shelves because someone leaked an Academy Awards screener. The Dark Knight had a screener that came out (IIRC) weeks before its street date.

In order to succeed, the industry has to innovate. Giving samples of TV shows or movies online is nice, but it took a long time for them just to get to the point of releasing official clips through Youtube and their own company channels.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Changing the business model of Youtube? How long before people can charge subscribers? And it turns into some sort of money making scheme for bloggers?

Then how long before people turn back to good old TV as the cheaper option?