Hideo Kojima Might Pen Script For Metal Gear Solid Movie

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Hideo Kojima Might Pen Script For Metal Gear Solid Movie

Kojima insists Metal gear Solid is a game not a movie, but he wouldn't mind writing one.

Back in August, Konami announced that Columbia Pictures would be the latest in a long line of studios to take a shot at getting a Metal gear Solid movie off the ground. Iron Man (and Double Dragon, lest we forget) producer Avi Arad will be producing the film, but no writer has been tapped yet. Series creator, Hideo Kojima, seems like an obvious choice.

Talking at today's Metal Gear stage event in Tokyo, Kojima said he was interested in seeing how Hollywood would handle the property his name is synonymous with. He admitted he didn't have any kind of final say in the film's production, but did mention that he's considering working on a script for the movie, adding that he'd probably call it Metal Gear Solid.

Despite his well-known fondness for cinema (and cinematics), Kojima insists that Metal Gear Solid has always been a game first and foremost. "I want to make a movie, but Metal Gear Solid is a game," he said, totally ruining the joke I'm going to make in the closing paragraph. "It was created as a game."

Kojima's statements clash with those he made at the Art of Video Games exhibit at the Smithsonian American Art Museum back in March.

"Honestly, I'm a movie fan and that's very special to me," he told the press. "I honestly would love to make a movie someday, but that said, I think it has to be a certain special game that has to provide that right setting. But I don't think that game will be Metal Gear Solid. Metal Gear Solid was developed specifically to become a game. ...If it were to be made into a movie it would have to be something completely new. I wouldn't use my current scripts. I think I'd have to get somebody to get a new script and somebody else to direct it as a movie."

A number of writers, including Snake voice actor, David Hayter, have tried to pen scripts for a Metal Gear movie adaptation with no luck. Personally, I think there's no one more qualified to write a Metal Gear Solid movie than Hideo Kojima, he has, after all, already written four of them. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cmAtdNoiG8&feature=relmfu]

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5944859/hideo-kojima-might-work-on-the-metal-gear-movie-script?post=52827776]

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
So now we can see what he thinks a REAL movie would be like.

The face on dat duck mirrors my sentiments

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Honestly MGS games are my favourite all time games, but if he wrote a film it would not be a good film. People make the 'he should stick to making films... oh wait he does!' jokes, but what he does only works because it's in a game and even then... 2 and 4 were pushing it

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Koj wants to write a movie script? He knows that movies aren't around 6 hours long right?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I don't think Kojima would understand the finer points of writting a punchy script, or even one with a three act structure.

Kojima is not a movie maker at all. He's a game maker and he writes game scripts.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Grey Carter said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Heh, your stock photo is almost as old as your joke Grey. :p
I prefer to think of it as vintage.
More classic. It's a pairing well worth it. I look forward to seeing how he incorporates the pseudo 4th wall breaks from MGS into a movie.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
BehattedWanderer said:
Grey Carter said:
DVS BSTrD said:
More classic. It's a pairing well worth it. I look forward to seeing how he incorporates the pseudo 4th wall breaks from MGS into a movie.
4th wall breakers would be awesome, but why do you say they are pseudo?

It would be cool but cheezy that snake would die and if showed a game over message and then a continue option and the movie resumed from the beggining of the scene/chapter/checkpoint. Kind of what the simpsons did with the "to be continued... immediately".

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Grey Carter said:
DVS BSTrD said:
The picture, or the joke?

While this sounds like a good idea, it may very well end up being a bad one...

To clairify, the MGS movie, not Koj writing the script. While there may be alot of cutscenes in the MGS series, there is still gameplay segments in between most of the time. Its those segments, in how they are handled, that will make or break this movie.

DevilWithaHalo

Mar 22, 2011
BehattedWanderer said:
I look forward to seeing how he incorporates the pseudo 4th wall breaks from MGS into a movie.
I'm guessing that the movie suddenly ends about half way through and picks up again in an adjacent theater. Only people who read the back of their ticket stub will be aware of this.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
esperandote said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Grey Carter said:
DVS BSTrD said:
4th wall breakers would be awesome, but why do you say they are pseudo?

It would be cool but cheezy that snake would die and if showed a game over message and then a continue option and the movie resumed from the beggining of the scene/chapter/checkpoint. Kind of what the simpsons did with the "to be continued... immediately".
Because they're not all specifically breaks, so to speak. Most are, but some still make context within the gameworld. I'd love to see a home version of the movie see if you have netflix (or similar) and judge your taste in movies, depending on your recently watched.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
sindremaster said:
I want a 2 hour movie of snake just walking around asking how things taste.
Angry Juju said:
I've always wanted to watch an 8 hour long movie about a cyborg ninja who has about 7 or 8 dramatic deaths.

Yes... I went there...
That brings up a good question. Who is the movie going to be about? Which Snake will be "THE SNAKE"?

Oh, maybe they can even make it about the Boss!

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Any movie by Kojima would be 6 hours long at minimum. Though if Peter Jackson could split the Hobbit into 3 films, I don't see why this wouldn't be possible.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
The real question is... how is he going to limit himself to two-and-a-half hours? For each act?

Estevao Levy Lima

Oct 15, 2010
Could only work with HEAVY editing. Kojima may be a good game producer, but he's clearly an amateur in cinema and his games shows this. Bad camera work, many unnecessary and/or redundant dialogues, much telling little showing etc... I'm very curious about this...