Companion Cube Available to Loving Homes

Feb 13, 2008
Companion Cube Available to Loving Homes

Steam allows us to all have a companion cube of our own for the Christmas Party. Even if you murdered him.

The soft plushy Companion Cube is now available from Steam for only $29.95. Created as your only friend in the seminal Portal, the Companion Cube is there to be your useful friend in the real world, just in case that GLaDOS is still alive.

Measuring 6"x6"x6", the soft polyester fiber will comfort you in times of stress, but you may want to hurry up - they have a tendency to sell out very fast.

You, **subject name here** will be the pride of **subject hometown here** with your very own weighted companion cube.

Please insert your credit card here. [http://store.valvesoftware.com/productshowcase/productshowcase_WCC-Plush.html]

The Escapist reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Does the companion cube actually talk in portal in the first place? I never got mine to talk. Valve needs to make some plushies of the Half-Life characters. Who wouldn't love their very own Gman or Gordon Freeman?

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Dommyboy said:
Does the companion cube actually talk in portal in the first place? I never got mine to talk. Valve needs to make some plushies of the Half-Life characters. Who wouldn't love their very own Gman or Gordon Freeman?
They have plushie headcrabs and plushie vortagaunts, y'know.

I'm a cruel, heartless man; I'm fighting down the impulse to order a Companion Cube plushie for my 1-year-old niece and then buy her an orange jumper... (It's cruel because neither my brother nor my sister-in-law are gamers, and they'd have no idea how ubergeeky the set would be until it's too late.)

-- Steve

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
No, the Cube doesn't speak in Portal. Ever.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, this Escapist reader urges you to disregard its advice.

[Gavo]

Jun 29, 2008
Sweet! No one in my family would get it!

About the other plushies, there's some 9th grader at my school who wears a goddamn headcrab hat every day.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
I did not murder my weighted companion cube, I merely euthanised it. Controversial, but legal at Aperture Science.

I want one about 2'x2'x2'. Perfect height to put your feet up on, use for children's seating and to deflect energy spheres into receptacles.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
30 dollars is a little pricey for something so small, even if it is cool.

6unn3r

Aug 12, 2008
-"The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak."

- "In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard it's advice."

Good advice i think. Mine was $56.95 inc shiping, but thats only £38.19 GBP. Bargin considering it's coming all the way from the US by air mail, how much does it cost to fly yourself to the States these days?

Samah

Jul 7, 2008
These were released some time last year, not long after Portal's launch. I would have grabbed one but they sold out too fast. I ended up getting the WCC fuzzy dice instead. Now I just need a car to put them in!

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
dalek sec said:
Is it just me or does that seem rather rounded?
Definitely. The dark grey is rather too dark, too, I think.

Dommyboy said:
Does the companion cube actually talk in portal in the first place?
No. It just cries silently when you abandon it. It was going to come to your party until you murdered him, you know. Murderer.

-- Alex

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
Headcrab hats... huggable companion cubes... now all we need is a plushie G-Man briefcase and a plushie Spah-checking kit.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
That...is just tragic.

Why doesn't everyone just apply a paint job to a cardboard box and save themselves £30?

I am Spy

Dec 14, 2008
Johnn Johnston said:
all we need is a plushie G-Man briefcase and a plushie Spah-checking kit.
You mean a plushie backburner? It's essentially a spy checking kit although it'd probably set itself on fire. Actually I think I'm onto something here. I'd pay good money for a plushie replica of Sasha or an ubersaw...

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
Iron Mal said:
That...is just tragic.

Why doesn't everyone just apply a paint job to a cardboard box and save themselves £30?
1) Unless the pound has REALLY gone downhill lately, it's only about 15 or so (I don't know the current exchange rate, but I think it's about 2:1)
2) Cardboard boxes aren't cuddly.

Me? I want. Very much want.

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
I am Spy said:
Johnn Johnston said:
all we need is a plushie G-Man briefcase and a plushie Spah-checking kit.
You mean a plushie backburner? It's essentially a spy checking kit although it'd probably set itself on fire. Actually I think I'm onto something here. I'd pay good money for a plushie replica of Sasha or an ubersaw...
...I would pay so much money for that. Imagine the possibilities, too! Plushie dispensers. Plushie baseball bats. Plushie 'military entrenchment tools'.
Graustein said:
1) Unless the pound has REALLY gone downhill lately, it's only about 15 or so (I don't know the current exchange rate, but I think it's about 2:1)
You can get $1.50 to the pound, not including independent tariffs.