Mists of Pandaria Unboxing: There's a Bear in the Box

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

It's time to peer behind the mists - the Mists of Pandaria!

That's a heck of a box, eh? It took a couple minutes of yelling at the UPS guy before I figured out it's supposed to be like that. Boy, that's egg on my face. Anyway, let's rip this sucker open!

It's actually less "rip" and more "lift carefully" - these things aren't cheap, you know - but with the cover removed, we're greeted by what appears to be a cross between David Carradine, Deadpool and, of course, a panda. That sure is a nice bracelet he's wearing. My mom has one just like it. Suddenly he doesn't seem quite so imposing.

The artwork inside is nothing short of gorgeous, as you'd expect from a Blizzard production, but we're not here to gawk at pretty pictures! Carrying on, then, we get to what's underneath: a soundtrack disc, a "behind the scenes" DVD/Blu-ray set, "guest passes" for World of Warcraft and StarCraft II and a very groovy mouse pad featuring an image of what appears to be a cross between Chris Potter, Iron Fist and... I don't know, maybe a panda?

[gallery=911]

It's a nice set, perhaps not the most spectacular collector's edition I've ever seen, but not much more than the price of a regular retail game, either. Speaking of which, there's also a copy of the game in here - I may have neglected to mention that.

The World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Collector's Edition (and regular editions, too) hits retail shelves tomorrow.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
InB4 Haters about pandas blah blah blah.

I really wanted to get this collectors, but the urge to play right away without having to go out and get the copy myself was too great. So I got it digitally.

Andrewtheeviscerator

It's Leviosahhhhhhh
Feb 23, 2012
InB4 people bitching about Wow without ever playing it

Would love to pick this up right now sadly short of cash though, maybe during Christmas, got to play the beta and lots of the new features look great.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Does this Collectors Edition have an in-game pet too? Because most/all the other Collector's Edition expansions have.

also inb4 people whining about "Kung-Fu Panda ripoff" even though people have asked for Panderen since BC and the 'Cooking' skill actually also covers brewing alcohol.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
Inb4 more people get inb4 me

Pretty psyched for this. Looking forward to an expansion that's not all world-ending doom and gloom like the last three, as fun as they were.

Namechangeday

Aug 13, 2012
I think I want to buy this just for that artbook 'cause I like pandas.
inb4 the Pandren Brewmaster(who's probably still stuck in Warcraft 3)

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
Inb4 thread going downhill somehow.

Neat box and stuffers in it, nice feels. So now we know what to expect on release day.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Just in time to celebrate my one year absence from WoW. Lots of old playing buddies keep trying to get me to play again. They all have failed. There's only one way I'd consider firing it up again but last time I checked.....she's still seeing someone.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Aeshi said:
Does this Collectors Edition have an in-game pet too? Because most/all the other Collector's Edition expansions have.

also inb4 people whining about "Kung-Fu Panda ripoff" even though people have asked for Panderen since BC and the 'Cooking' skill actually also covers brewing alcohol.
Yeah, you get a little pet and a flying mount, too.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Andy Chalk said:

It's time to peer behind the mists - the Mists of Pandaria!

That's a heck of a box, eh?
Andy, do you play the Worlds of Warcrafts?

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
inb4 more inb4s

Seriously though, nice looking collectors box. Not playing this expansion sadly. I've had my fun with the game for the past 7 years and gotta move on. Do hope y'all have fun in the months to come though for those that bought it. Happy raiding/questing/hunting!

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Honestly I was hoping for an unboxing video. I guess the Escapist really isn't in Blizzards backpoctpket.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I think the best part of this expansion, they don't have to restart the servers for the expansion comes live, it happens automatically. No Diablo 3 fiascos.

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
I've stopped playing 31/12/2010. So I'm getting close to beeing away 2 years from WoW. And honestly I wont go back....

But I hope that people will have fun with the mop if they still play.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Wait a minute there is no bear in it, it was all a lie! Damn you Escapist and your sensationalist news titles!

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
Couple things that crossed my mind.

Why do people make and get so excited about unboxing videos and posts? I just don't see the point to them. Does it really matter in the greater scheme of things that people foam at the mouth just to see someone else finding out what's inside the box that may be different than the listed contents before we go out and blow the money on the super duper deluxe limited edition numbered collectors set?

Secondly, Why does anyone waste their money on the a fore mentioned super duper deluxe limited edition numbered collectors set when any potential resale value goes right in the crapper the second it is opened? My not being a collector of anything other than dust bunnies that like to reside behind my TV and stacks of empty Amazon shipping boxes before recycle day in my garage because my wife refuses to buy even simple staple items like table salt at the grocery store, it is just something I never understood.