Square Enix Exploits Western Gamers With Crazy DLC

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Square Enix Exploits Western Gamers With Crazy DLC

Square Enix is still struggling with the whole iOS pricing thing.

Like most of Square Enix's iOS games, Demons' Score is priced well above its app store peers. In Japan the game costs a hefty $19.99, but the North American and international versions cost just $6.99. That sounds like a good deal for gamers outside of Japan, right? It isn't.

See, Demons' Score, which is yet another rhythm-RPG hybrid, has multiple stages and boss fights, but the main crux of the gameplay is unlocking different songs. In the North American and international versions, all of those songs are tied to "sexy" character outfits which are sold as DLC packs that cost $2.99 a pop. The total cost of unlocking everything included in the $19.99 Japanese version of Demons' Score is forty dollars. Western gamers are paying nearly twice as much for the same amount of content, and then there's the hassle of selecting and downloading each bit of DLC.

The game itself is developed by iNIS, of Ouendan and Elite Beat Agents fame, and judging by the trailer, it actually looks pretty good. I'm all for iOS developers exploring higher price ranges in exchange for higher quality games - another Square Enix title, The World Ends With You, is both the most expensive and best iOS game I've bought thus far - but $47 for a mobile game that's available for less than half that price in Japan? I think not, Square Enix.

Source: Japanator [http://www.japanator.com/facepalm-demon-s-score-is-way-cheaper-in-japan-26877.phtml]

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
I'd rather swim buck naked across the Ganges river with a paper cut on my nipple than buy those games.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
And square enix doing more to more to kill any good will they used to have with gamers over here. gg se.

glad i was already not interested in the remake of ffx i have the ps2 version i play on emulator anyway, and had 260 plus hours into the save on my old ps2.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
DVS BSTrD said:
Making it REAL hard not to paint all Japanese developers with a single brush.
Grey Carter said:
In the North American and international versions, all of those songs are tied to "sexy" character outfits.
GOOD GOD! Such UNPROFESSIONAL editorialization! Keep your opinions out of my news mr Grey thankyouverymuch! ;)
Grey needs his own column where he can say whatever it is he wants. It'd be fucking awesome. So many flames. I'd read it.

Aug 25, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Grey Carter said:
In the North American and international versions, all of those songs are tied to "sexy" character outfits.
GOOD GOD! Such UNPROFESSIONAL editorialization! Keep your opinions out of my news mr Grey thankyouverymuch! ;)
You stay classy there DVS.

OT: Probably banking on the old favourite of no one actually paying attention to small transactions. A $19:99 game is expensive, a $6.99 is not, and what's the harm in just picking up that next outfit for only $2:99

It's classic marketing and retail. They've been doing it in stores since we've had offers in stores.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Fappy said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Grey Carter said:
Grey needs his own column where he can say whatever it is he wants. It'd be fucking awesome. So many flames. I'd read it.
That's right! Team Grey!!

*fist pump*

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
yuval152 said:
I'd rather swim buck naked across the Ganges river with a paper cut on my nipple than buy those games.
I'm gong to steal that for the next time someone recommends something I find unpleasant; if you have no objections that is. *sips tea and adjusts monocle*

Tastum

Jun 1, 2011
I paid $16 for Final Fantasy III for my Nexus 7. It's the same game I could have purchased for my DS (where it would have cost twice as much), with no bugs and oodles of gameplay. I think that's a reasonable price point. But if they started adding in all sorts of DLC I would probably feel different...

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
I'm not sure they're struggling with pricing so much as desperately milking as much out of their old comfortable pre-mobile pricing model while they still can. Okay, I guess that's a struggle.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Fappy said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Grey Carter said:
I technically have one. I'm allowed to write whatever I please to go up with Critical Miss strips.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Grey Carter said:
Fappy said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Grey Carter said:
I technically have one. I'm allowed to write whatever I please to go up with Critical Miss strips.
I suppose that's true. There have been some length walls of text down there before. That seems to be where a lot of the flames spawn from anyway :p

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Also the article neglected to reference Final Fantasy Dimensions which is listed as "free" but after a 1 hour prolouge you have to pay 30 bucks to get the full game in the form of "chapters".

Sadly SE games are one of the few I am happy to avoid buying.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
I wanted to buy this. I really did. But with this kind of pricing scheme? Forget it.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Fappy said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Grey Carter said:
The header image would be the be-headphone-ed gengar, giving you the bird.

...I'd read it too.

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
The DLC prices might be overkill, but the western iOS audience wouldn't even look at the game if it was 20 bucks. And while I loathe all DLC with passion, this really is nothing compared to some of the freemium crap around.