Soul Sacrifice Makes You Murder Your Co-op Buddies

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Soul Sacrifice Makes You Murder Your Co-op Buddies

Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune wants death to actually mean something in his upcoming game.

Co-operative gameplay has undergone a bit of a resurgence in recent years, thanks to the success of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119748-Steam-Opens-Left-4-Dead-2-to-User-Made-Content>a few very popular co-op games. Sharing a game experience with friends can be highly entertaining, but if there is one drawback to co-op gameplay it's that the feature doesn't lend itself well to storytelling. Co-op gameplay and player conversations can distract players from finer plot points occurring on screen, which is why games like Borderlands or Left 4 Dead avoid unnecessary exposition altogether. Former Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune isn't sure it needs to be this way, and thinks he can prove it with his upcoming Vita exclusive Soul Sacrifice. All it would take it a minor addition to boss battles: if your group is going to survive, then one player character must die.

"In a typical game these days it's about earning points and defeating a certain number of enemies," Inafune explains, "That kind of game was probably an old style game ... Some of the newer games might make you cry. If they have a good story it's like watching a movie. So we wanted to incorporate that emotional aspect into this new game."

Soul Sacrifice is a standard fantasy title at first glance. You play as a captured sorcerer awaiting execution who discovers a ancient talking book that can create a portal to a parallel universe. While you cannot directly escape through the portal, you can project yourself into the bodies of sorcerers fighting monsters on the other side, gaining the experience needed to escape in the process. Now the twist: the most challenging monsters your sorcerer can encounter are too powerful to defeat, even with the aid of co-op partners. "It's not that you're not doing well," Inafune says. "It's physically impossible."

The only way players can defeat these enemies is if a member of the group is sacrificed, pulling off an incredibly powerful kamikaze move in the process. More importantly, these sacrifices aren't necessarily willing; a downed player could suddenly find themselves sacrificed by a teammate hoping to bring the battle to a quick conclusion. As the game progresses, players who frequently sacrifice friends and fallen enemies to gain power will find their physical appearance changing along with their stats and relationships to NPCs.

It's an interesting concept, and while the execution itself remains to be seen, Inafune believes it could provide meaningful character development and moral choice to co-op campaigns. "You're asked to make the choice every step of the way," Inafune continues. "Depending on who you're playing with, you'll have a different story every time ... There's no one right answer. I want to leave it to the player to choose and make decisions. And to think about those decisions they've made."

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-26-meet-soul-sacrifice-the-vitas-potential-monster-hunter-slayer>Eurogamer

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
I absolutely love this idea. Most co-op campaigns you don't get too involved in story or emotional wise.

But with this idea, of possibly HAVING to kill off an ally to beat a boss, I think it'll work extremely well if it is implemented right.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Wow... well, if I'm sacrificed, I sure hope I still get the story progression and NOT have to re-fight the boss all over again.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Pretty deep stuff for a Vita exclusive, but maybe I'm just being ignorant.

Sounds like a very interesting idea, and something I'd love to try if I already owned a Vita.

Kiyeri

Mar 8, 2010
That could be really boring for the guy who gets sacrificed. All your friends are having fun fighting the boss while you just sit there, especially if it takes forever. Interesting idea though!

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
This could work, but only in the absence of random drop-in online co-op.

I could see a lot of people joining a game, sacrificing everyone else immediately, & heading back to the lobby to troll another group.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
It's either going to make best friends forever or the worst enemies from hell.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
I'll wait to see the game before I judge, but this sounds like a bad idea.
I get what they're trying to do, but I don't think it's going to end up being all they have talked it up to be.

SirDerick

Nov 9, 2009
Knowing my friends, this game'll probably force me to punch some of them in the face.

Pass.

Sotanaht

Mar 6, 2008
It's not a "choice" if you MUST do it. The only choice then becomes who gets to be the sacrifice, and who gets to do the sacrificing. There is also the question of how being sacrificed affects future gameplay. Are you dead for good, forced to spectate, do you just come back at the end of the fight, or do you lose levels or something and become weaker for it? None of the options really make for a fun gameplay experience on the part of the sacrificed player.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
I'm so excited for this game. It's just a shame it seems so far away. Between this, Persona 4 Golden and Gravity Rush (plus potential sequels) the Vita is turning out pretty great for Japanese games.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
Not sure why people are complaining about the (potential) downsides of sacrifice. I mean, it's called "sacrifice" for a reason, right?

Anyway, it's an interesting concept, but I'll reserve my opinions until I see more about it.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
In order to really judge this we need to know what happens to the sacrificed player. He wasn't really clear, and if being 'sacrificed' just means you're out of this particular battle than all it means is you choose somebody who gets to go take a bathroom break.

If being sacrificed comes with a loss of xp, gold, or something else important, the obvious solution is to plug in a third controller and just murder the ai when necessary.

Other important question: How the heck will this work in single player? (Or will there even be a single player mode?)

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
That sounds pretty awesome actually, and I'm curious to know how the whole "sacrifice" thing works.

Although, I'm assuming co-op is just an option, yes?

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Lt._nefarious said:
So wait are you saying I use my friends to kill people?

I am sooo in...
please dont link things from funnyjunk, it NEVER works for anyone besides the poster.

as for this, an interesting concept, though more information is needed before i can form a solid opinion