Xbox Live Rewarding Gold Members Based on Gamerscore

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Xbox Live Rewarding Gold Members Based on Gamerscore

With Xbox Live Rewards, you'll receive gifts from Microsoft for your high Gamerscore.

Have you spent years cultivating your Xbox Live Gamerscore, hoping that one day, your greatness would be rewarded with more than just bragging rights? Good news! Microsoft's Xbox Live Rewards program is now gifting players based on Gamerscore, awarding a "special gift" during the birthday month of players with a score of 3,000 or higher. Those with scores topping 10,000 will get 1% back on the Microsoft Points they spend each month, and if you've got a Gamerscore of at least 25,000 you'll see a whopping 2% return on your monthly MSP spending.

Of course, you need to have an active Xbox Live Gold to rake in the rewards, and you won't actually get any MSP back unless you spend some to begin with. And before you go on a shopping spree, be aware that the most you can get is 30,000 MSP during the entirety of this program. As for the special birthday gift, the fine print says it has an approximate retail value of 25 cents. Still, free is free, right?

Though one or two percent of your monthly Xbox Live spending might not seem like very much, it's still nice to be rewarded just for playing games. Many gamers have Gamerscores that far surpass 25,000 points, so it would be great to see Microsoft open up even more levels of rewards, like free games to those with 100,000 or more. Xbox Live Gold members, you can sign up for the rewards program here [http://rewards.xbox.com/myachievements/], and just wait for the free money to start rolling in.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/28/xbox-live-rewarding-gamerscore-with-rebates-and-birthday-gifts/]

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Not too bad, I have over 10,000.
Finally I get a little back for getting screwed by Microsoft over the years.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
At least people have a practical use for an arbitrary score now. The e-peen wars will likely continue to rage on however D:

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
Ummm, yea? Better than nothing...but...

I've got a few emails about this Xbox Live Rewards program, but I've honestly never figured out what it is they're trying to do with it. Is this it? Is there anything else?

Confused, I am.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
This is... well, just sad I guess.

At best, it gives me a way to buy XBLIG games without feeling like I'm selling my soul.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
.25 cents huh? Seems like just a face campaign. Were gona reward you for your years of loyalty... with uhh. *Ruffles through pockets*.

They could of given you something better, a title, a virtual thingy.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Fooey, I don't have a Gold account.

I also almost never spend and MS points since I'm poor, so there's that too.

Bolt-206

Dec 6, 2010
Well, shoot. This program's already gone past my birthday month so I'm not going to see that 'special gift' for a while... or is that a good thing...?
And honestly, I probably be more happy with just having 1% of my Gamescore as free MS points (which would put it at 339, probably enough for a skin pack or something...).

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
Anyone with a birthday this month know what the gift is? Mine was in August, so I have awhile.

Musicfreak

Jan 23, 2009
That's pretty lame. It's better than nothing in the sense that an acorn is to a starving man. I bet the "special gift" is a hat for your avatar.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
You'd think that they'd have a better range of rewards set out than that, for the amount of years gamerscore has been around anyway.

[sub] Not annoyed at all that my 100k gets the same reward as someone on 25k or anything. Grrr. [/sub]

Jhooud said:

I've got a few emails about this Xbox Live Rewards program, but I've honestly never figured out what it is they're trying to do with it. Is this it? Is there anything else?

Confused, I am.
Basically it gives you Microsoft Points for doing various things. There's a survey each month that's gets you 20MP. And this month's thing was watching 10 hours on entertainment on a single app nets you 100MP. It's actually worth joining up, despite this basically worthless rebate.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010

What a joke. So you're telling me if I spend ?42 on a 4200 points card and use up all 4200 points I'll get a whooping 84 cents back!? Meanwhile Steam rewards its customers with free game weekends and 75% off deals. I bought Renegade Ops on XBL for 800 points (?8) and that was during a "weekly deal". A few days ago I bought a Renegade Ops 4-pack for ?6.48 so not only could I play it but also now so could 3 of my friends.

Hell, PR stunt? This is nothing but a massive slap in the face to the fanbase. And no it's not "Better than nothing" because 'nothing' would have been preferable to having our intelligence and loyalty insulted so blatently. Gold is a piece of crap anyway, the only reason I even bothered getting it was because online multiplayer was locked down. (even the PS2 had free internet ffs) I don't give two shits about over half the crap Gold unlocks and the other half of the crap isn't even accessible because I'm not an American.

I joined PC gaming this month and all I can say is I'm about 5 years later to the party than I should have been. Fuck you, Microsoft, fuck you.

P.S. Yes, I am very, very mad

TKIR

Sep 7, 2011
Spend $1000 and get $20 back. Better than nothing but it's not a great or even good deal, plus you have to have Xbox Gold.

superline51

Nov 18, 2009
This is actually a good deal for people that regularly download things (I still buy new Rock Band tracks, and the occasional expansion). This will in no way make me spend more points, but its nice to get a little kickback on things I was going to buy anyway.

MagmaMan

Apr 2, 2012
Jhooud said:

Confused, I am.
It's just general stuff for free moneyz, although honestly I've made more quicker and easier on Bing Rewards. It has special offers like getting a couple Microsoft points back when you renew your membership (A very small amount) 20 MS points for a survey every month and sometimes they have special offers like if you spend 10 hours or more watching sports apps this month you get 100 MS points, which I don't mind because there are plenty of piddly stuff for that kind of money I can get for simply leaving my Xbox on sports apps when I'm not around.

Also you can get exclusive stuff if you get VIP status, for example my brother got VIP status, did well on a Halo quiz, and got an exclusive avatar prop of a Banshee for it. You aren't missing out on much if you don't join Rewards but a little extra never hurts.