Abe's Oddysee to Get New N'Tasty Remake in 2013

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Abe's Oddysee to Get New N'Tasty Remake in 2013

New Abe's Oddysee gameplay footage shows off a little of Abe's odd charm.

Though an HD remake of Abe's Oddysee was rumored back in 2011 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107396-Oddworld-Creator-Reviving-Abes-Oddysee], developer Just Add Water has let very little slip since then as it wasn't really ready to make an announcement when the news leaked. Now Just Add Water feels a little more comfortable talking about its remake, titled Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee New N'Tasty!, and released a gameplay trailer at the Eurogamer Expo to give fans an idea of what to look forward to when it gets released in 2013.

The game is being remade from the ground up, which is why just calling it Abe HD Edition wouldn't do. The developers have promised in its FAQ [http://www.oddworld.com/about/faq/] that cut-scenes will be rendered in real time and that graphics will be 3D, though gameplay will be 2D. No word yet on the game's plot, which will probably follow the original's storyline but may also include elements from the sequel, Abe's Exoddus.

When it first came out in the late 1990s, Abe's Oddysee hit all the right buttons in its charm offensive and captured many awards [http://web.archive.org/web/20060323073130/http://www.oddworld.com/oddworld/company/ow_awards_ao.shtml], including kudos for its animation and character design. In the original you played as Abe, floor-waxer first class, one of many Mudokon slaves in the RuptureFarms food factory run by Molluck the Glukkon. Abe discovers that Molluck, to shore up his sagging profit margin, is planning on killing the Mudokons and turning them into tasty meat treats. In the ensuing chaos, Abe becomes the Mudokons' savior as he tries to rescue as many as possible before Molluck can carry out his scheme. Abe's Exoddus saw our hero return to his old stomping grounds to foil another Glukkon plot, this time revolving around the addictive SoulStorm brew made out of ground-up Mudokon bones.

This title is scheduled for a Fall 2013 release, for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC and Vita.

Source: Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/games/oddworld_abes_oddysee_new_n_tasty/b/xbox360/archive/2012/09/30/abe-39-s-oddysee-remake-gets-a-new-name-and-video-footage.aspx]

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
SO EXCITED. Abe's Oddysee was one of my favorite PS1 games and this footage looks fantastic. It's exactly what I want.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Looks good.

I'm just disappointed about their next game. I cant remember if it was a just a rumour or actually true or not, but I think Hand of Odd is going to be for Facebook or something, instead of being a real game.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Now THIS is awesome news. If some of you folks missed these games back in the day, they're awesome. They've even aged well as far as the humor and art design is concerned, so this is just what the doctor ordered for the mechanics and graphics. I'll support this just to have my brother over and HDify our memories.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I adored these games, if the price is good, I will definitely pick it up for nostalgia's sake.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010

I do like how my childhood is basically being re-released.

Can't wait to fart in HD.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
I want this game so much, it was my first ps1 game that came with my PS1 and I played the shit out of it and loved every moment.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
This is one of those cases where the masses don't mind buying a game again. I may have to join them in that.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
This... actually looks cool. After being burned with a lot of remakes lately (I'll just say Jagged Alliance and leave it at that), this might turn out to be awesome.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Seeing their love and dedication for the Oddworld franchise with their port of Stranger's Wrath HD (yes, HD version) for the PC, and seeing that lovely video up there, I'm completely confident that J.A.W. will get my money for this, scrolling environments instead of the fixed ones is a two-thumbs up from me and that's a reason big enough to buy this.

I'm also very curious to see how they can pull off the wonderful CGI cutscenes in real time.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Been playing the Oddbox lately, having a lot of fun, this looks really good.

Two things though, the sligs sound weird... As in not like they used to, not saying it's a bad thing, will just have to get used to that. Second, when he was finished using the slig, he didn't explode, as a kid I loved that, he just kinda went puff and gone in this video.

Feb 28, 2008
chozo_hybrid said:
Two things though, the sligs sound weird... As in not like they used to, not saying it's a bad thing, will just have to get used to that. Second, when he was finished using the slig, he didn't explode, as a kid I loved that, he just kinda went puff and gone in this video.
I thought this as well. But *hopefully* as it's first footage, not everything has been worked out yet. I would have imagined that something like exploding body parts would be one of the last things to do? As it's a purely aesthetic function.

chozo_hybrid

Jul 15, 2009
MasterOfHisOwnDomain said:
chozo_hybrid said:
I thought this as well. But *hopefully* as it's first footage, not everything has been worked out yet. I would have imagined that something like exploding body parts would be one of the last things to do? As it's a purely aesthetic function.
That's what I'm hoping too, as it was part of the over the top comedy the game sometimes threw at you.

IronSuplex

Apr 13, 2012
Yay, though being digital only drove me away, at least other people can enjoy this. Well at least I can understand why Lorne Lanning decided to do so.
Anyways, it seems they decided to reboot the franchise, and this actually looks good and true to the original. So I'm optimistic about the future of the Quintology being made and completed.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
chozo_hybrid said:
That's what I'm hoping too, as it was part of the over the top comedy the game sometimes threw at you.
I agree on the Slig voice sounding really off and it was always particularly satisfying when ending possession and one of the Slig chunks flew towards and hit your screen. I also feel like the sound of the Mudokon escaping through the bird portal sounded a little underwhelming.

Real time rendered cut scenes have me a bit worried though, Oddworld always had the best pre-rendered cut scenes of their time. They were better than Blizzard and Square Enix in the 90s and especially so in the 00's but hopefully they turn out just as gorgeous and fluid as their predecessors.

This game really does look fantastic. I've been waiting a long time for this as Oddworld is one of my favourite game IPs of all time. I really hope Abe's Exoddus gets a similar treatment at some point in the future.

SaintlyTurkey said:
Looks good.

I'm just disappointed about their next game. I cant remember if it was a just a rumour or actually true or not, but I think Hand of Odd is going to be for Facebook or something, instead of being a real game.
I'm almost certain that Hand of Odd was just a rumor or was completely scrapped at some stage in development. I also remember hearing rumors of an Oddworld game/movie titled "Citizen Siege" but I also think that was nothing more than a rumor. If I remember correctly, I read about it in an Escapist article years ago that had no reliable source, so I just took it with a grain of salt.

There is no evidence of any new titles from Oddworld Inhabitants at this stage. Hell, I've even asked them personally and all I got was something along the lines of "Patience, we have no intention of announcing any new titles soon as we have a lot on our table with the Oddyssey remake and the HD release of Stranger and Munch."

chozo_hybrid

Jul 15, 2009
VanQQisH said:
chozo_hybrid said:
chozo_hybrid said:
I agree on the Slig voice sounding really off and it was always particularly satisfying when ending possession and one of the Slig chunks flew towards and hit your screen. I also feel like the sound of the Mudokon escaping through the bird portal sounded a little underwhelming.

Real time rendered cut scenes have me a bit worried though, Oddworld always had the best pre-rendered cut scenes of their time. They were better than Blizzard and Square Enix in the 90s and especially so in the 00's but hopefully they turn out just as gorgeous and fluid as their predecessors.

This game really does look fantastic. I've been waiting a long time for this as Oddworld is one of my favourite game IPs of all time. I really hope Abe's Exoddus gets a similar treatment at some point in the future.
Word is the footage is a pre-alpha build of the game, so it could still be a bit different, for those little things. But even then, they are little gripes and a small price to pay to bring Abe back into the spotlight.