Killzone Assets Were Kept in a Shoebox

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Killzone Assets Were Kept in a Shoebox

HD ports are more complex than they seem.

Despite being hyped as the PlayStation 2's "Halo Killer" - a phrase which still causes a nostalgic smidgeon of bile to rise in my throat - Guerilla Games' Killzone wasn't the mega hit many expected. Despite a lukewarm reception from critics, the game did sell enough to warrant two substantially better sequels and a spinoff. The game that started it all was consigned to history and its assets left to slowly erode in a shoebox. No really; a shoebox. That made life difficult when Guerilla decided the game warranted a HD re-release.

According to an interview with Technical Director, Michiel Van Der Leeuw, and Sensior Programmer, Frank Compagner, digging up the game's code and assets was an adventure unto itself. The team had to engage in some "software archeology."

"It's a programming term," explained Van Der Leeuw. "The biggest challenge we faced with regard to obtaining the assets was that Guerrilla's whole way of working was different back then. The assets had been backed up to tape at one point, but that was almost eight years and two tape robots ago. So we needed an archeologist, someone to dig into the depths of our backup archives and unearth whatever they could."

It then turned out that the tapes containing the assets were being stored "offsite."

"By which I mean, in a shoebox in the cellar of one of our IT support staff members, without a list of contents of any kind," added Compagner."

The team eventually discovered a document with tape numbers and backup dates which matched the tapes in the shoebox, which then allowed them to pick out the tapes with the assets on them.

Developer Hyjinx ran into a similar problem when working on Silent Hill HD Collection. Apparently, Konami hadn't kept up to date backups of the game, meaning the developers had to work with buggy, unfinished code. Unlike Guerilla Games' story, that one didn't have a happy ending. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119014-Konami-Offers-Exchanges-on-360-Silent-Hill-HD-Collection]

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/09/27/killzone-hd-re-developer-interview-part-1/]

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
I will say the HD looks really good. Like really good. :D Might have to get it.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
because DVSBSTrD DIDN"T ask, i will

are we talking a shoe box for work boots, or sneakers? cause ya know, size matters and all that :p

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Capitano Segnaposto said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Halo Killer? LOL
Killzone couldn't kill a grunt with a grenade stuck to it's head.
Was I the only one that thought the series was very lackluster? I mean sure it had beautiful graphics, but the story was meh as was the control scheme. Shooting is basic shooting, nothing really stand-out-ish. Then again, the first one I played was the second. I may give it another go if someone persuades me to.
You probably missed the revolutions Halo made with the genre... mostly by making it actually work as a Console FPS game, instead of leaving them confined to PC.

Some consider that a mistake... but it defined the modern console generations, and made them THE multiplayer experience (Until others screwed it over)

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Scow2 said:
You probably missed the revolutions Halo made with the genre... mostly by making it actually work as a Console FPS game, instead of leaving them confined to PC.
Some consider that a mistake... but it defined the modern console generations, and made them THE multiplayer experience (Until others screwed it over)
Are you...high?

FPS, on console, had been around for DECADES, before Halo came along.

Prefect Dark for the 64 ALONE was a better game then Halo.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Scow2 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Halo Killer? LOL
Killzone couldn't kill a grunt with a grenade stuck to it's head.
Was I the only one that thought the series was very lackluster? I mean sure it had beautiful graphics, but the story was meh as was the control scheme. Shooting is basic shooting, nothing really stand-out-ish. Then again, the first one I played was the second. I may give it another go if someone persuades me to.

Haha, no I was talking about Killzone, not Halo!
Oh... I thought everyone thought the Killzone series was lackluster.

Tanis said:
Scow2 said:
Are you...high?

FPS, on console, had been around for DECADES, before Halo came along.

Prefect Dark for the 64 ALONE was a better game then Halo.
... no it wasn't. The N64's controller was TERRIBLE for FPS games. Yes, there were FPS games for consoles long before Halo (Not decades. There weren't ANY FPS games before Halo - Halo came out in 2001. Wolfenstein 3D came out in 1992 - only 9 years earlier). And I have fond memories of Goldeneye. But while fun for console FPS games, they never came close to matching the experience of FPS games on PC. And while some people say they still don't - Halo managed to bring all the fun of LAN parties to consoles - Did YOU ever have 4-Xbox, 16-person Halo games on four televisions? If not, you wouldn't understand it. The changes to control scheme and weapon selection and use made the experience unique and incredibly fun in a manner distinct from PC FPS games. Seamless vehicle integration was also a strong point, which NO FPS game has done as well.

Lt. Rocky

Jan 4, 2012
Soviet Heavy said:
Killzone is just one of those games that can't catch a break isn't it?
Considering the hefty times Sony is currently experiencing, I have doubts that any current and moderately successful franchise under its wing will be catching a break any time soon.

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
I for one, loved Killzone 2. I thought it was a very satisfying and intense shooter. That was real urban warfare right there, it really sucked me in. It's greatest achievement was that it made me feel like I was part of it all, that it was a struggle, fighting through the city bit for bit, getting all the way into the Helgan fortress head quarters (loved that last level). I didn't mind the environments either, they were dark and and had a sparse color palette, but that only made it more realistic in a kind of way. And the multiplayer was GREAT. I like dark and gritty stuff anyway, prob why I seem to appreciate Alien 3 more than most people.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Scow2 said:
Seamless vehicle integration was also a strong point, which NO FPS game has done as well.
I see Battlefield 1942 and its well revered mod, Desert Combat slipped by your radar.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I have only played the first one on the PS2 but it was a pretty fun game, I enjoyed it and the second game was always on my list of "Games I want to buy if I ever happen to waste money and get a PS3" along with the Infamous series. I never did get a PS3 so I never got to continue the series.

DAMN YOU CONSOLE EXCLUSIVITY!!!

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
i really enjoyed the first one on the PS2.

However when the sequels came out was roughly the same time as when I swapped over to PC gaming. i would like to play the sequels and a HD port to be honest.

And BTW i did enjoy it more then Halo.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Gordon_4 said:
Scow2 said:
Seamless vehicle integration was also a strong point, which NO FPS game has done as well.
I see Battlefield 1942 and its well revered mod, Desert Combat slipped by your radar.
I don't count mods, but yes, Battlefield 1942 AND the Star Wars Battlefront games slipped by my radar when I said this. I was mostly thinking games like Crisis, Unreal Tournament, Quake, and especially "The Greatest FPS of All Time", Half-Life 2.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Gordon_4 said:
Scow2 said:
What about the excellent vehicular warfare in the Bad Company spinoffs? Also, to a lesser extent there's even Battlefield 3.

And 2, 1943, etc. Generally all have great vehicle combat...

OT: Cool, I have an original copy of it somewhere I could've lent them my retail disc? :p