Crysis Goes Sci-Fi in StarCry Mod

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
Crysis Goes Sci-Fi in StarCry Mod

Lightsabers and Gnashers are together at last in a complete overhaul package.

Crysis, the game that humbled a generation of graphics cards back in 2007, still looks pretty good nowadays. For all its flying tentacled aliens, however, a group of enterprising modders thought the game was left wanting in the science-fiction department. They decided to step up four years ago to give the game some sci-fi legs, and now an official release for the mod is finally available.

StarCry weighs in at 1.2GB, and four years of work yields 1000 new objects, 2000 textures, 20 weapons, and an additional 1000 lines of dialog to the base game. The modders estimate that players will get around 8 hours of gameplay on their first playthrough.

References are aplenty in the release, drawn from sci-fi universes in "movies, TV shows, video games - famous or canceled, alongside original creations, while still having a coherent storyline". Screenshots reveal plenty of Stargate inspiration in the package, although the dev team insists that the mod is not based on the franchise, "even if some models have a similar design (the main character is a SG fan)."

The changes do go beyond the cosmetic, though. The official site shows that there's an experience system in place to unlock weapons, as well as a food mechanic to replenish health, and some interactive dialogue sessions.

[gallery=916]

Props to the team for having the diligence and discipline to see the project through after all this time. There aren't enough mods that survive long enough to see the light of day, and StarCry looks like it should scratch your sci-fi itch.

Source & Media: Media-Pixel [http://www.media-pixel.net/index.php]

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
My first impression is, it could do with less Stargate material... :\

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
They mashed about 50 shows/games together there... it's odd yet lovely.
And be sure to download this quick guys because there are about 50 cease and desist letters being vigorously written up right now.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
Argh! I want it so bad! *sigh* it's time like this I regret my console-ness. That and my yearning for a Stargate game. Naturally the two offical games get cancelled but a user-mod manages look even cooler. I hate everything right now.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
It's wonderfully schizophrenic. They even crammed in some Dragonball, though I now expect a bossfight against Majin Buu. I shan't be satisfied with anything less.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
This just makes me even sadder that the cysis series was turned into consolised crap because some people need to game on 6 year old toasters.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
chimpzy said:
It's wonderfully schizophrenic. They even crammed in some Dragonball, though I now expect a bossfight against Majin Buu. I shan't be satisfied with anything less.
Where was the Dragon Ball?
there was a floating platform that oddly resembles the the one that Kami, and then later Dende occupy in Dragon Ball/z.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
chimpzy said:
Where was the Dragon Ball?
It doesn't show a dragon ball, but at around 1:20 in the video it shows a floating half-sphere with some palmtrees and buildings on top. That is rather blatantly inspired by Kami's Lookout, one of the more iconic locations in Dragon Ball.
edit: Blast! Ninja'd!

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Light sabers, mummies, that floating island from dragon ball and "weapons" that go ZAP!
Can they possibly cram anything more into it?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
It reminds me of Timesplitters and Serious Sam (Timesplitters for the multiple theme/references and Serious Sam for the unexpected adventure feel to it)

mixadj

Oct 23, 2010
I see a Stargate and a dialer.... this isnt just a little influenced by it. Man I wish I had a copy of Crysis now I need a SG fix since Scifi killed the series...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So a 5 hour storyline that i dont want to play again finally got something interesting?
Granted, the crysis engine was gloriuos, it ran better graphics on my computer than any other game ever did (if i want to crank up the graphics to same level as crysis it lags to hell, crysis didnt lag), but the rest of the game was so meh. and this looks interesting, maybe its time to undust the dvd.