Minecraft Stakes Out Publishing Deal

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Minecraft Stakes Out Publishing Deal

The world-building game will jump to the printed page next year.

Between its bloodless world, constructive goals, and Lego tie-ins [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114534-Mojang-Making-Official-Minecraft-Legos], Minecraft is arguably one of the most kid-friendly games out there right now. Of course, no child should spend all of his or her time in front of a computer. To that end, developer Mojang may have figured out a way to keep the young'uns engaged in its world of blocky miners even when they're away from the keyboard. Egmont Publishing, a specialty, UK-based children's publisher, will release printed products based on the indie darling next year.

Egmont now possesses all book and magazine rights for the Minecraft IP, although it has remained tight-lipped on its plans for them. "We are working closely with Mojang and with Minecraft enthusiasts to create a range of products that will deliver extra depth and breadth of content to engage and inspire fans and to enhance the experience of playing Minecraft," says an Egmont spokeswoman. "Minecraft excites and inspires millions of kids around the world and their appetite for content is obvious from the huge success of the online tutorials posted by passionate fans." Based on her comments and the company's general raison d'être, Egmont's Minecraft publications will likely skew towards a younger fanbase.

This is hardly Egmont's first foray into the world of gaming, as it recently acquired similar rights from Rovio to produce Angry Birds books. Nor is it likely to be Egmont's last such acquisition: According to David Riley, one of the company's directors, "The deal is a great fit with Egmont and sits brilliantly amidst our growing portfolio of viral video, social media, virtual world, mobile and online gaming entertainment properties."

Children's books based on videogames are nothing new, but whereas the last generation grew up with picture and chapter books based on Mario and Sonic, this generation may learn to love reading with the blocky protagonists of Minecraft and the cast of Angry Birds. In the grand scheme of things, that's probably not any less strange.

Source: TechCrunch [http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/02/minecraft-coming-to-the-printed-page-next-year-uks-egmont-publishing-inks-non-u-s-rights-deal-with-game-creator-mojang/]

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
The story of one man, deserted and alone in an unknown world.

Starving of hunger,
Hunted by the beings of nightmares,
He must dig to survive,
he must build to thrive.

[HEADING=1]MINECRAFT![/HEADING] A children's novel.

Sounds peachy.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Sounds like an idea with some legs, I would have been right into this as a kid.

It's funny, I see a thread here, Minecraft looking for publisher - and was all ready with the hatered, and then the article kinda trolls the trolls :) love it!

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I reckon this'll be some kind of papercraft book or something, with cut out and glue together figures. The blocky character models do lend themselves well to that kind of thing.

Or as someone else said, maybe a magazine where they show off the more awesome creations, and guides on how to build them and stuff.

I'm not really expecting some kind of comic about Steve? fighting for his life or whatever.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Marshall Honorof said:
Egmont Publishing, a specialty, UK-based children's publisher, will release printed products based on the indie darling next year.
While Egmont Publishing does operate in the UK as well, it's actually Danish.

Just for the record.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Zombie_Moogle said:
I CANNOT wait to see how the Creeper gets adapted to fit in a children's book
The creeper seems hardly as interesting as seeing how they adapt Ender Man. Will Ender be the Team Rocket style villain, always stalking our heroes from the shadows? Or will he just be a misunderstood creature that just wants to hug you.... to death?

zaziuma

Sep 19, 2010
Keeping kids away from the computer, where they can interact with people online, and making them have their face planted in a book for hours on end where they are suppose to concentrate and can't interact with other people. Makes sense.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
VanQQisH said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
I CANNOT wait to see how the Creeper gets adapted to fit in a children's book
The creeper seems hardly as interesting as seeing how they adapt Ender Man. Will Ender be the Team Rocket style villain, always stalking our heroes from the shadows? Or will he just be a misunderstood creature that just wants to hug you.... to death?
Interesting point, but beyond that is the End itself. Minecraft exists within a Multiverse; that's a pretty big concept for children's literature. I have a feeling the Nether might get left out