First Apple-Certified iOS Controller Only Supports Five Games

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
First Apple-Certified iOS Controller Only Supports Five Games

The Gamer Duo is coming soon to Apple retail stores ... where it will likely stay put.

Popular mobile developer Gameloft has announced what's now the first Apple-certified Bluetooth game controller on the market: The Duo Gamer. And while the device might not be the schizophrenic Nintendo-DS-themed superhero its name suggests, it may end up being just as unwelcome in people's closets when they learn the details.

The Duo Gamer is hitting shelves at a hefty $80, possibly a fair price considering that it will be the first mainstream controller to work natively with the iPad's Bluetooth connectivity - unlike the popular iCade - but here's the rub: The Duo Gamer will only be compatible with Gameloft games, and to make matters worse, only five of them: Asphalt 7: Heat, Brothers in Arms 2: Global Front, Modern Combat 3: Fallen Nation, N.O.V.A. 3, and Order & Chaos Online.

Though Gameloft titles are traditionally, well, "inspired" by popular games, they're typically pretty dang good for what they are. And while the harsh limitations on the company's new controller will likely be a deal breaker for some, it's hard to deny that seeing your iPad as a wee little TV with its own controller is at least sort of cool. Still, with such a teeny stable paired against hefty price tag, its hard to imagine the Duo Gamer achieving what's supposed to be easier than earning a spot on Apple's coveted retail shelves: getting off of them.

Source: Venture Beat [http://venturebeat.com/2012/10/01/duo-gamer-gameloft-announcement/]

Theminimanx

Positively Insane
Mar 14, 2011
So the part where this thing only works with 5 games is stupid enough but there's something even more ridiculous. The fact that you're getting a wireless controller for a handheld.
So you hold the controller in your hand, and then what do you do with the iPhone itself? Leave it on your lap? Can't do that if you're standing. Why can't we just have controller which the iPhone plugs into, kind of like the second analog stick for the 3ds.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Theminimanx said:
Why can't we just have controller which the iPhone plugs into, kind of like the second analog stick for the 3ds.
You, mean, something like the existing iControlPad?

And that also works with Android and just about any device that supports Bluetooth.
You guys should rather check out the iControlPad 2 that's kicking around on Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1703567677/icontrolpad-2-the-open-source-controller] now, same basic principle, but with a built in keyboard at roughly the same size (I think it's actually smaller?). It also flips out from the back of your phone, and is fully supported by an open source community, so you're not limited to 5 games only...

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Apple made an overpriced product that looks sleek and awesome but is basically useless unless you're some techy douchebag who wants to by it just to look cool.

In other news, the sky is blue, the sea is wet, and David Cameron's an asshole.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Wow, they must really be banking on people being willing to buy anything at any price so long as it is on a shelve at an Apple store. That thing looks like controller design suddenly regressed by about 30 years or so.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
It cost me $1.24 to hook up my PS3 controller to my Android Phone. It would have cost me $0.00 if I had decided to just root the phone instead and use it as a bluetooth connection. I fell sorry for anyone that is silly enough to actually buy one of these things.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Why don't Gameloft just port their games to the Vita? I've seen some, but they are old ones and nothing too recent.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Theminimanx said:
So the part where this thing only works with 5 games is stupid enough but there's something even more ridiculous. The fact that you're getting a wireless controller for a handheld.
So you hold the controller in your hand, and then what do you do with the iPhone itself? Leave it on your lap? Can't do that if you're standing. Why can't we just have controller which the iPhone plugs into, kind of like the second analog stick for the 3ds.
Because they come out with a new iWhatever every year or so, they all tend to have different dimensions so it would be hard to make a standardized controller that you could use from one device to the next. They would have to create a special design for each new device, and this would take time and effort. When you only have a small portion of your consumer base that are going to be buying the controller then it is easier to just standardize a wireless controller.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
FinalDream said:
Why don't Gameloft just port their games to the Vita? I've seen some, but they are old ones and nothing too recent.
Gameloft ports games to the iOS from the DS and vice versa. They also make iOS versions of titles like Driver and Assassin's Creed. The also ripoff old IPs (Ganstar playing exactly like GTA 1 &2) The PSVita, with what few games it has, has games that look worlds better than anything on an iPhone or iPad. Putting Gameloft games on that thing would lose them money because their games would look horrible in comparison if they were ported.

For the most part. The Ashphalt racing games look great, but that game plays like a mini game. They would have to remake their games for the Vita rather than port.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Ick, what an awful looking controller. The thumb stick placement is guaranteed to cause cramps and pain to any grown adult's hands. I guess Apple also subscribes to the "games are for kids" opinion?

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Frozengale said:
It cost me $1.24 to hook up my PS3 controller to my Android Phone. It would have cost me $0.00 if I had decided to just root the phone instead and use it as a bluetooth connection. I fell sorry for anyone that is silly enough to actually buy one of these things.
I second this. Sure using a wireless pad for a smartphone feels really silly, but at least I use a high quality controller that costs a lot less than this POS.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
I understand you have money to throw away. May I recommend this $80 dollar unwieldy brick that is also uncomfortable to hold for your ungodly shitty phone/music player?
FinalDream said:
Sony probably won't allow it.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
And not a fuck was had by all.

Those who are into apple products will bow to zealotry and buy it.

Those who are not, wont.

Those who use apple products but have even the least bit of tech savvy already have something to accomplish this so native support does nothing.

CortexReaver

Jul 19, 2011
Apple really should introduce a standard gamepad API to iOS already, this is the only way to make such accessories truly useful.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Apple could have a standard API for the iCade and this, they both work through bluetooth. Adding support for iCade can be tricky, depending on how the game was written. Having something that just bolts in and allows input from these would be ideal. Personally, I like the iCade, it's especially good for retro games, like Medway Arcade, and the C64 and Spectrum emulator game packs support it too. I'd be hard pressed to change from the traditional arcade stick and mini-cabinet you get with an iCade - that $80 would be better put towards a Vita or something like that.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Gearhead mk2 said:
Apple made an overpriced product that looks sleek and awesome but is basically useless unless you're some techy douchebag who wants to by it just to look cool.

In other news, the sky is blue, the sea is wet, and David Cameron's an asshole.
Sorry to interrupt you Apple/Cameron bashing but Apple did not _make_ this controller, they just put their sticker on it.

Rather ceck out this cool multi-platform-open-source bluetooth controller with a keyboard:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1703567677/icontrolpad-2-the-open-source-controller

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
That is the worst design I've seen in a long time, and horribly impractical on top... youre suppose to make that shit clamp on the sodding device not require a table stand.

I guess we can't expect much from people who steal ideas for a living.