Cabinet Minister Urges Kids to Play More Games

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Cabinet Minister Urges Kids to Play More Games

Runescape [http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/events/tower/tom_watson.aspx][/I].

"Basically, I think playing games is a good thing," Watson, who is in charge of implementing new technology into the government, said [http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/tm_headline=minister-urges-children-to-play-more-computer-games&method=full&objectid=20966592&siteid=115875-name_page.html]. "I'd rather my boy be playing on his Wii than passively watching telly."

No offense to the telly, but games are an active and, moreover, educational experience, Watson asserts, and that doesn't just make it good for the kids, but maybe worth some serious cultural weight. "Most games are educational," Watson said. "They make you think, focus, challenge and change - 500 years ago a medium that did this would be called art." Watson's son learned to count from a Telly Tubbies game, Watson said, and his friend's eight-year-old learned some elementary alchemy (copper + tin = bronze) from playing Runescape.

Watson's perspective, however, flies in the face of some of his political cohorts. The British government, facing rising child obesity rates, has increasingly urged kids to go outside and play (even if they're cool [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/81028-U-K-Government-Endorses-Wii-For-Physical-Education-Programs] with Wii Fit). "We all have a role to play in encouraging young people to get out from behind their computer games and playing sport," Richard Caborn, the former sports minister, said.

Nobody is denying the urgency or import of that issue - a quarter of five-year-olds are overweight or obese in the UK. But might the problem be bigger than the kids these days being glued to their Xbox 360s? Maybe if Watson's point of view can gain some pull, we might see less scapegoating of videogames and a bigger focus on tackling the culture of obesity at large.

[Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=204110]]

Rochnan

Dec 2, 2008
I think these political cohorts miss the point.
Mr. Watson states that he'd rather have his kids play videogames because it's keeping them mentally fit.
Now his opponents argue that staying inside doesn't help their physical fitness - something related, but different.

I think that indeed I'd rather have a child play outside, but when that's not an option -say, it's december and it's freezing outside- I'd give the child a controller, not a remote.

Fruhstuck

Jul 29, 2008
Swings and Roundabouts anybody?
Hmm it's nice to see some positive spotlight for games
I like that someone is praising the mental exercise you CAN get from gaming
But it should be part of a routine incorporating physical exercise too to be healthy

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
I can't pretend that I understand U.K. politics but it is rather nice to not hearing one from any country calling for the banning of games.

MsDevin92

Nov 9, 2008
This guy, I like. :3

On the obesity thing...Unfortunately, that's a bad drawback to his argument, although I don't exactly know how to defend it. I mean, I play games a lot, but I'm not overweight- but it's probably because I do a healthy bit of exercise and don't eat really bad stuff.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Funny enough, I actually won a science quiz because the question asked was about the 'tin+copper=bronze' thing from Runescape... that, and my twitch reflexes.

reaper_2k9

Keeper of the Beer
Oct 22, 2008
Wow I never thought I'd see the day when a politician would be pro games. I agree with what he says I mean look at RTS games or the Wii as a a whole. RTS games require strategy and planning and the Wii makes you get into the game physically and too me that's a good thing.

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
I must agree it's nice to see games being mentioned by a politician as something other than murder simulators and what have you. Now if only we could get more of an "everything in moderation" mindset going.

Atak Cat

Nov 15, 2008
Tom Watson for Prime Minister anybody?

If it helps Dalek Sec I lived here all my life and some of it still confuses me.

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
Rochnan said:
I think these political cohorts miss the point.
Mr. Watson states that he'd rather have his kids play videogames because it's keeping them mentally fit.
Now his opponents argue that staying inside doesn't help their physical fitness - something related, but different.

I think that indeed I'd rather have a child play outside, but when that's not an option -say, it's december and it's freezing outside- I'd give the child a controller, not a remote.
Physical fitness is overrated. Being smart will get you ALOT! further in modern society than being strong.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
*Steals Tom Watson and brings him to Australia* Go! Run free, Mister Watson! Bring joy to all the gaming boys and girls!

*wakes up*

Naww... A girl can dream, can't she?

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Radelaide said:
*Steals Tom Watson and brings him to Australia* Go! Run free, Mister Watson! Bring joy to all the gaming boys and girls!

*wakes up*

Naww... A girl can dream, can't she?
Hehe, I can just imagine him in one of those cat boxes, with 'born free' playing in the background as you open the gate.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
You know now that I think about it; I have only met 2 fat gamers. I think that's kind of weird because I knew a lot of people in high school and most of them played games.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
I agree with his opinion - a video game is usually much more stimulating mentally than a television show (and, by the way, I also love the use of telly over T.V. - much more personality). If you consider that the majority of "serious gamers" are not obese couch potatoes or suicidal gun-owning depressed students, then gaming as a whole is a pretty good thing.